The PLASMA Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EpicEsquire, Jan 24, 2018.

1. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

Not gonna buy it .. But it sure got me thinking about hiding some of my wife's weird Halloween visual effect stuff in the board …… anyone can do LED rope………

2. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

Xenon headlights can last about 2,000 hours - however, not sure this is at all comparable to this pedal

3. p.j.

p.j. Member

The perfect gift for the Tron enthusiast!

temple12 and EpicEsquire like this.
  4. webs

webs Supporting Member

I suspect that'll be one of the longer lived parts of the pedal, if it's made even halfway competently. I understand the assumption, given the lifespan of vacuum tubes and light bulbs, but I've got some experience with parts like this one and I'd venture it's going to be a lot more robust than you might think. (Speculation ahead, of course, unless Gamechanger wants to send me an eval unit ;) )

An inert gas in a thick glass envelope is quite stable. There's no worries about small filaments, screens, plates etc like in a vacuum tube or a light bulb, which means that their primary mode of failure (heat) is mostly eliminated. It's pretty easy to make a nice robust glass tube with sealed anode/cathode. For instance a geiger counter probe is almost exactly the same design as the tube in this pedal, except with a mylar/mica detecting window on one side. They're plenty robust and last (basically) forever, unless you rupture that thin window which obviously won't be an issue here. The lifespan of a xenon tube like this could be 30+ years of constant use. As mentioned above, xenon light bulbs last a good long time, and they're going to be heating up a whole lot more than this tube. Plus they tend to be pressurized, while the tube in this pedal is likely at a couple tenths of an atmosphere. From what little I know of xenon arc lamps this is probably a similar design but with the pressure reduced a whole lot so you get that nice avalanche/lightning effect. Think about how long neon lights last, being on continuously - this is a much lower-impact version of that, with no bends and hopefully not run outdoors for 30 years at a time.

It's easy to see "gas tube" and assume that's the weak point, but in this case it's a simple design and it shouldn't be hard to make one last a very very long time. Of course if you drop your pedal and it breaks and there's no replacements, that doesn't help you much. But I suspect that if anything is going to go on these pedals it's more likely to be one of the more boring components, especially since there's a high voltage supply feeding the tube.

Honch and Electrophonotronik like this.
  5. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

I would wonder if these are replaceable by the consumer or would have to be sent back to Gamechanger should the glass break somehow -- is there any way to know if the tubes were filled to capacity or under-filled (that is above my pay grade and in no way trying to cast aspersions - just wondering if possible)

6. webs

webs Supporting Member

Yeah, if the tube isn't pressurized right it won't light up correctly. So you'll know straight away if it's good or not.

"underfilled" isn't really the thing to worry about here tbh, it's not a case where the gas is going to be used up or run out. It just needs to be properly pressurized to light up under the voltage it's being fed, and that pressure will stay constant as long as the tube isn't broken. More gas isn't necessarily better.

7. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

Thanks for the clarification - chemistry is above my pay-grade :bonk

8. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I’m highly intrigued by these, but the price they give comes out to like $500 USD and... yeah. Not thaaaaaat interested.

9. Electrophonotronik

Electrophonotronik Member

Has anyone noticed the enthusiasm and fun on Lee and Pete faces?
    I mean, they look like kids on Christmas eve...
    They even try to explain what the knobs do and they clearly fail at it, but they don’t give a f*** about, because as they say, this thing is ridiculous, it’s wicked!
    How about the moment when the plug in the humbucking guitar???
    WHOOOOAAAA HOOOHOHOOO!!!!
    Pure joy...
    Where do I find the buy now button?

EpicEsquire likes this.
  10. fallingman16

fallingman16 Supporting Member

What next? A Lava Lamp pedal?

EpicEsquire likes this.
  11. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I stopped by the booth and gave it a go. Like everyone else, gimmick crossed my mind too but it has a sound that's unique and while gated it doesn't react the same as a spitty fuzz. I liked it quite a bit and will be watching for the kickstarter. Kudos for brainstorming such a unique way to clip and distort a guitar signal!

12. downburst82

downburst82 Member

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    johnetone likes this.
  13. brain21

brain21 Member

Just ordered mine. From the Indiegogo campaign, the first 250 orders got it at $129. Not bad at all! When I clicked on buy ("Get This Perk") there were 0 out of 250 claimed. By the time I finished filling out my addr and stuff, I was order #80. By the time I refreshed the page there were already over 100 claimed, and by 1:03 (3 minutes in) 163 were gone. I just checked (5 minutes in to the campaign) and all 250 were gone. Wow. You can still pick it up for $159 here:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plasma-pedal-high-voltage-distortion-unit-guitar-rock#/

There are 500 available at $159. Not too shabby considering they plan on selling it after the promos are over for $299. I got the Plus Pedal this way last year. There were delays in it coming out, but they always kept everyone informed the whole way through and it was a good experience. I was kind of worried because they were in a foreign country, a new company, small, and this was their first pedal. Who knows if they go belly-up before they can deliver, right? But they were great.

This pedal looks fun. The sound is decent - glitchy, sounds like an extra fuzzy bit crusher sort of, but those that hear it in person all seem to say it's really great. For about the price of a new Tube Screamer, why not try one? OK, now for the price of a decent, but not high end, used boutique Muff variant. :)

No, I don't work for them or anything.

downburst82 likes this.
  14. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

downburst82 likes this.
  15. downburst82

downburst82 Member

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    The $129 spots sold out in less that 5 minutes!! Im glad we all got in :aok.

They are doing really well with over $56 000 raised already.

I agree with you I would have loved the pink gas one( but not for $500).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    your name here likes this.
  16. brain21

brain21 Member

They are saying $299 USD when it's in general release. Check out the posts above for the indiegogo...

EDIT: $500 for the pink gas version. Nope. Regular is just fine. Pedal sounds the same either way.

downburst82 likes this.
  17. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Same here! Logged on immediately and 7 were gone. Put in my info and hit submit...I’m #185. Dang they went super fast!

brain21 and downburst82 like this.
  18. your name here

Looks like two people paid $199 even though there are plenty of $159 ones left... :confused

19. your name here

Which one of you ordered the pink one?

C’mon, now. Haha

20. brain21

brain21 Member

No ****. Someone paid the $500 to get the pink one! And yeah, looks like 2 people hit the wrong button by mistake and went through with the order and paid $199 when there are still over 300 right now at the $159 level. Ooops!

Curious, the only reason I knew exactly when it was going on sale and for how much (admittedly while I have seen all the YouTube videos I haven't been paying much attention otherwise, other than this thread) was because I was on their mailing list since I bought the Plus Pedal as an early bird too. Do you guys all have plus pedals, or did you sign up for their mailing list after seeing stuff here? I assume that they have a place to sign up for a mailing list. I haven't even checked out their website since I got my Plus Pedal. I've been slacking.

If they ship in late August, then they should be arriving at almost the 1 year anniversary of my Plus Pedal which I got somewhere around the 10th of Sept. last year, just in time for my birthday!

FYI - from the indiegogo page WRT the tube:

How long till the xenon tube dies? Is it replaceable?
    We estimate that the tube should last around 70 000 hours which is 24 years if you play 8 hours every day. We do not know this for sure since we have not tested it for that long. However, we've been testing PLASMA Distortion for many months now and we have not noticed any signs of wear.
    Yes, the tube is replaceable in case it gets broken or damaged due to physical impact.

downburst82 and your name here like this.