The pleasure of playing short scale (Anderson content)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by veus55, May 26, 2019.

1. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

I have been a Fender style player most of my life. I can't bond with a LP style guitar. Most of my guitars are strat style guitars.

I have been reading for a long time about the Tom Anderson Cobras (Super Strat type guitar with a short scale) and decided to pull the trigger on one.

The finish and playability on this guitar is insane!!!
    I wish I had played one of these before. I belong to the early 50 crowd and the short scale is a gift to my aching hands.

2. brokenvail

brokenvail Supporting Member

3. SigXer

SigXer Member

That guitar looks great! How does the short scale affect the tone? Is it warmer / darker than a typical super strat?

4. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

Nice fiddle!!! And that view doesn’t suck, either.

5. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

My Cobra is noticeably less stratty than my Suhr Standard with the same wood makeup and the exact same pickups. More fundamental in the tone maybe? Humbucker tones are beefier but split tones are comparatively unimpressive/dull. The bridges between the two are different so that might be a factor as well. The Cobra is super comfortable to play. Going from my Suhr Standards to the Cobra doesn't require any adjustment, but the Cobra is noticeably "looser" in comparison.

Austin

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    veus55 likes this.
  7. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I have an Anderson Short T, it's a beast. Mini hum in the bridge and strat single in the neck, honestly does not sound very Tele like, more like a LP Jr-ish. Great feel and sound but it often catches people off guard thinking it should sound like a Tele.

8. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

If I use the same string gauge on my 25.5 and 24.75 guitars, the longer-scale ones feel and sound twangier -- faster attack, quicker decay -- than the more fluid feeling/sounding shorter-scale guitars. If I put 9s on the longer scale ones and 10's on the others, they become more the same. I like them both. Of course, there's always PRS and some others who split the difference. For some people there's a real preference, but for some reason I like using different-feeling guitars, I think because it captures a little more of my attention and feel.

9. BallisticGuitars

BallisticGuitars Supporting Member

I bought my first Anderson, a Cobra T, a few months ago and I’m hooked. I got to the point where I was using 9’s on my guitars more and more to help with string tension, but with this guitar I can play 10’s comfortably. I liked it so much I ordered a new Cobra T Hollow with some M pickups.

1bluzman likes this.
  10. veus55

I would say that the tone is warmer. The big difference is the string tension. I play 10's and it is so easy to play the Anderson, no fatigue and easier to play stretched chords.
    The overall feel is stratty but the tone closer to an LP.
    Also keep in mind that the the wood selection is more LP style with a mahogany body and neck, rosewood fingerboard and maple top on the body. The PU's are close to PAF

11. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

What HC model pickups do you have in your (gorgeous) Cobra S? Mine came with an H1 in the neck and H3 in the bridge. After trying a couple other sets out, I'm back to the H1/H3 combo. They're a change of pace from my other humbucker guitars, but they sound great and what's the point of having different guitars if they all sound the same? lol

Austin

12. fitzo

fitzo Silver Supporting Member

That is a beautiful guitar! I love orange-toned finishes. Enjoy!
    Added: actually, when one looks at the full-size foto, that's beyond beautiful into incredible. Wow!

I've got a hollow Cobra T and it's a fine guitar. I also ordered a hollow Drop Top Shorty S, maple on basswood, HSH Switcheroo and it quickly became my number one. I've got several other hollow long scale Andersons, but if I get another, it'll be a short scale. It makes my very arthritic left hand happy.

veus55 likes this.
  13. veus55

That is what I got H1/H3
    Love the sound!
    Dan

14. 1bluzman

1bluzman Supporting Member

I have 2 a Mongrel T. & Cobra S.
    Great guitars

15. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I am guilty of not owning an Anderson. My loss, evidently...

Congrats on the guitar!