• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Plimsoul is a very nice pedal

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
I just got a plimsoul.

I am honestly not much of an OD pedal guy. I have a fantastic channel switching amp, and a combo with a built in attenuator.

However, I like to keep one nice OD/distortion on my pedalboard, simply to have as another option, or for those gigs where I use a house backline, like a twin.

I bought a plimsoul to check out; partly out of curiousity (I like to hear all Mike's stuff), partly because I can always bet on his pedals being built wonderfully, and last because they are very affordable for the quality.

I have to say this is a very,very nice pedal. I really liked the amp-like response of the OCD, but I really need more midrange than it provides.

I like to add an OD to a blackface EQ curve on a clean amp. I also find most pedals to be either too squishy in the low-end, or too tight, depending on the amp and pickup type.

This plimsoul really addresses these issues. It has enough thick midrange to beef up a strat through a clean amp. But unlike a fulldrive, it has that more open amp-like top end feel. Really nice. It has the cranked amp character of the OCD, but more mids, and it is smoother overall.

The ability to mix the softer clipping with the harder clipping is a great idea. This means on something like a marshall circuit you can use less hard clipping to smooth out the attack, but on a pushed tweed type amp you can tighten it up to avoid getting total mush.

I think this one is a really good combo of the best characteristics of his other pedals rolled into one.

By the way, it really sounds the best to me at 18v. At 9v it is totally fine, but 18V tightens up the low end a touch, and provides an even more amp-like, dynamic feel. It is less compressed at 18V, but sounds like it is much more part of the amp to my ear.

It's a tough pedal to beat for tone, range, build quality, all at a really reasonable price.

David Vee

I just got to demo one at G Guitars in New Haven, CT yesterday. In spite of those who have said that it is too close to an OCD, I disagree. Do they overlap? Yes. Playing it in person revealed a smoother available contour and more range... and the liquid sustain was audibly more like a full-stack dimed. Mr. Fuller is not just whistling Dixie when he says it is touch sensitive. To me, I found it more so than an OCD (and I own all 4 versions).

Having read somewhere that it performs "best" with single coils, I purposely went against that choosing instead to demo it with my favorite 80s Greco '59R LP and a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 1x10. I tried every possible combination of amp/pedal/guitar settings and stylings from blues to rock and everything in between trying to exploit any negatives in the pedal. It sounded great with everything I threw at it.

I highly recommend giving the Plimsoul a test drive.

As always, your mileage may vary. :beer

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
I just got to demo one at G Guitars in New Haven, CT yesterday. In spite of those who have said that it is too close to an OCD, I disagree. Do they overlap? Yes. Playing it in person revealed a smoother available contour and more range... and the liquid sustain was audibly more like a full-stack dimed. Mr. Fuller is not just whistling Dixie when he says it is touch sensitive. To me, I found it more so than an OCD (and I own all 4 versions).

Having read somewhere that it performs "best" with single coils, I purposely went against that choosing instead to demo it with my favorite 80s Greco '59R LP and a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 1x10. I tried every possible combination of amp/pedal/guitar settings and stylings from blues to rock and everything in between trying to exploit any negatives in the pedal. It sounded great with everything I threw at it.

I highly recommend giving the Plimsoul a test drive.

As always, your mileage may vary. :beer
I totally agree. It has some characteristics of the OCD, like good clarity, chunky low end, and good response to input volume and dynamics. But it is also very different. It has more midrange than the OCD, and more control over the nature of the attack (hard vs. soft). That alone makes it a very different pedal. It can get a lot sweeter, smoother than the OCD, and a touch more gain if pushed.

GoranS

Mine is on it's way. :)

I love the OCD, have two. But not so much the Full-Drive. I have a Full-Drive 2 MOSFET but haven't really connected with it because of it's lack of dynamics compared to the OCD. I am hoping the PlimSoul would fill in nicely with the more touch sensitive circuit and some mid chunk...

carltonh

Every demo I've heard of the Plimsoul has been great. (Except GMD's, sorry man!) However, has anyone compared it to the Subdecay Nova Drive? (FYI, listen to MusicToyz demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh1SEayREbE ) it is also a d*mble in a box that can do a lot more too, like the Plimsoul.

Unlike Fulltone, Subdecay doesn't get an equal "hearing" in the market for their overdrives.

GoranS

Got my PlimSoul today, it followed me home from the post office. :)

Got to play with it for about 15 minutes before I had to be elsewhere. Instant love!! :love:

It really is all I hoped it would be. The second stage is really an awesome idea. I dialed in a smooth OD with stage 1 and added some grit with stage 2. Tone heaven! This one is a keeper for sure!!

Aslan

I just got my Plimsoul and it really lives up to the hype, I'm using this with a LP Custom into a Klon - Plimsoul - Carbon Copy - 65 Amps Royal Albert, with this setup I can get three different sounds ( clean, bluesy breakup, distortion). The Plimsoul makes the amp sing with a Santana like sustain. I'm happy!

Ive got one of these on order.. no idea what to expect.
The chassis looks really nice. I hope future fulltone pedals will have the same form factor chassis

cwcashiniv

I HATE when I think I'm just getting over GAS... and then THIS thread comes along. :thud

Fulltone puts out some of the most consistent mass-produced/boutique effects out there... After falling in love with an OCD at 18v, I can only imagine what might happen if I get one of these guys at 18v. :love:

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
One followed me home tonight from the San Jose Guitar Center ...
Had no plan to bring an OD pedal home ... went there with completely different intentions ...

Anyhow I noticed they had both the dual LovePedal & a Plimsoul in stock ...
So simply out of curiosity I took both of them into the private room & played them through a nice ol' Twin ...

The LovePedal first ... great stuff ... but just a bit too much on the glassy side of sounds for my tastes.
Especially through a Twin... but then I love that kind of clean as my foundation ...
Then I plugged in the Plimsoul ..

OMG, I thought something was actually wrong with it because it felt so naturally touch sensitive...
My reaction initially being ... "This can't be ...it is so much like a quality amp's overdrive channel"
& the bloom of the sustain tripped me out too ...

The note just blossomed only a bit after the initial attack when holding it ...
Can't wait to play it in a band context now ... thrilled by what it sounded & felt like in the store

lux_interior

Fulltone puts out some of the most consistent mass-produced/boutique effects out there...
What do you mean "mass-produced"? The fact that they are popular and that they work with many dealers doesn't mean they are mass-produced (which by the way I wouldn't have a problem with if they truly were - I only look at their sound quality).

I am looking forward to trying it... but at the moment I am looking for a dual channel OD. Joseph, how would you compare it to the Jetter Jetdrive (that if I remember correctly you are a big fan of)?

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
how does the pedal get powered at 18V, are there two 9 volt in jacks?

or one jack that takes either 9 or 18 volts?

Bloomfield fan

Silver Supporting Member
One jack on Fulltone pedals. You simply choose either 9 or 18 volts from your power supply, if it has this feature. The Fulldrive and OCD also work in this way as does the Catalinbread DLS and many others. It is a really interesting feature to play with and really listen to the differences it makes with different amps and guitars.

Top Bottom