The poachers on Reverb are getting bad

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by whoismarykelly, Aug 1, 2019.

1. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

Wouldn't all this alleged, nefarious CME exploiting "its" Reverb site be like a snake eating its own tail (ouroboros)?

2. Pill's_Ghost

Pill's_Ghost Member

Ha ha now do this just 100 more times...
    [​IMG]

treeofpain, Dunconia and FiestaRed like this.
  3. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Won’t it be a non-issue very soon, since Reverb has been sold to Etsy?

skydog likes this.
  4. ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt

ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt Member

there are some really awesome conspiracy theories here :):)

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

I love it, I list an item for what I would like to sell it for I get lowballed and offered broken banjos in trade. I give it a day or 2 Then I use the Link on the CME site and send them the Listing they hit me up with an offer a little back and forth we make a deal it's done. I also buy a bunch of stuff from them the sales they run on reverb are fantastic.

Pill's_Ghost likes this.
  6. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I sold a PRS to CME 6 months ago. It is still on Reverb for less than they paid me.

But I hear they make it up on volume...

quilsaw and magnus02 like this.
  7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I read the OP's post a bit differently that most.

He made a comment about a poacher/reseller.
    When you see a guitar re-listed a week or so after the sale, the only reason for purchasing is to re-sell. Risky business these days, IMO.

Then the OP made an additional comment stating CME does this as well. Not that they were the poacher in this scenario.

Of course, I could be wrong on all of that!

8. Pill's_Ghost

Pill's_Ghost Member

I had no idea I could solicit CME with my Reverb listings. That's awesome! Good info to know. Btw I have never had a problem with buying from CME or Reverb, can't say the same about E(vil)bay.

9. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

Yes? Oh, wrong one :aok I ended up with my current collection from flipping attempts gone bad...at least, that's what I tell my wife :crazyguy

10. Little Larry

Little Larry Supporting Member

Actually it is "a clear cut thing". Buying and selling guitars is a business and nothing more. If a product is offered for sale and available to everyone with the resources to purchase it, the sale is legitimate. If that buyer identifies an opportunity to sell the product at a significant profit then there is no virtue in electing not to take advantage of that opportunity. If the resale price of this guitar had not been reasonable to some buyers the listing wouldn't be marked "SOLD''.

quilsaw likes this.
  11. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

I've got no trouble whatsoever with the practice of flipping gear. If you think you can make a buck, knock yourself out.

The one thing that kind of weirds me out, though, is a person buying your guitar (or whatever) that feels compelled to produce some drama-infested bullsh!t story about why they are buying it. I sold a custom builder guitar to a person who regaled me with a tearful story about how joyous they were to get the guitar, and that they had been the one to initially commission the build of said guitar, but had to bail when it was complete because they lacked the money. The thing was posted for sale on Reverb and TGP on the same day that said person got the guitar unwrapped.

slowerhand likes this.
  12. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

I personally think buying a cheap piece of equipment off of reverb and then reselling it for a considerable markup is a sleazy way to make a buck. Sure its legal, but law does not equal ethics. I personally have an issue with ripping others off.

Jay K likes this.
  13. SuperSilverHaze

SuperSilverHaze Member

That is very much a different scenario. They are buying product at a manufacturer markup which is considerably less than the intended sell price that the manufacture has in mind. Ethics are already taken into consideration most of the time and the businesses rely heavily on quantity and turnover for their profit margin.

14. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I buy what I want for whatever I want to pay with my own money. I stay out of other people's pockets, they can buy whatever they want as long as it's their money. I don't get why people care about stuff like this. Not one bit.

g-mane, larry1096 and MilwMark like this.
  15. Jay K

Jay K Member

My main point, which you ignored, was "buying a guitar and then immediately flipping on Reverb does nothing to add value." As to buying and selling guitars being a business, if one has a business license, e.g., a music store, then sure. If one doesn't, then it is a hobby. As I stated before "A music store has staff to hopefully impart knowledge, they pay rent, have space to display the guitars and let potential customers play them, and so forth. So, if a music store buys something at one price, then displays it and sells it at another, at least on average they are doing something that deserves the mark-up." A hobbyist flipping guitars does not have these characteristics.

Jon C and slowerhand like this.
  16. Little Larry

Little Larry Supporting Member

You haven't visited many GC stores have you?

17. beltjones

beltjones Member

Well, respectfully, your definition of "business" vs "hobby" is your own, and not really legitimate nor commonly shared.

Adding value can take many forms, not the least of which is correct pricing. Other "value" includes taking better pictures, cleaning the thing up, perhaps offering global shipping, etc.

Imagine if you're selling your house, and your original listing agent prices the house so low that buyers are wary there is something wrong with the place, and the house doesn't sell as fast as you want it to. So you hire a new agent who prices the house correctly, and the place sells. Did that second agent add value? You bet they did, even though they may have primarily just adjusted the price.

18. Jay K

Jay K Member

[QUOTE="beltjones, post: 29117868, member: 217911"
    Imagine if you're selling your house, and your original listing agent prices the house so low that buyers are wary there is something wrong with the place, and the house doesn't sell as fast as you want it to. So you hire a new agent who prices the house correctly, and the place sells. Did that second agent add value? You bet they did, even though they may have primarily just adjusted the price.[/QUOTE]

Quite a part from the fact your house example would rarely, if ever, happen in this age of Zillow and Trulia (where the previous listing prices of the house can be seen), I don't see that the second agent added value to the house, notwithstanding your "you bet they did" comment. The agent managed to get more money for the seller, which had value to the seller, but that is the extent of it. In any case it is difficult to see how your example maps onto guitar flippers. Apples and oranges.

19. ptgold

ptgold Member

It's called capitalism. It's what this great country was built upon

El Rey likes this.
  20. beltjones

beltjones Member

Hey man, fair enough. If you don't see value in an example where someone sold something for full fair market value, that's cool. If you also don't see "creating value" in that example, even though you admit that the seller did achieve more value (which is 100% of his job responsibilities), that's cool too.

Given the above, my hunch is you and I aren't going to agree on anything about "creating value." But, let's try anyway.

The example maps to guitar sellers because we're talking about adding value without physically changing the thing for sale. Not in every case, but in many, the flipper takes better pictures, maybe lists the guitar in more places, maybe improves the description, and of course raises the price. All of those things add value, and the proof is in the pudding if the flipper makes a profit. To be clear, we're not talking about market forces changing, we're talking about commanding a higher price based on the merits of the thing for sale.

It's a little confusing with guitars, because what would you do to most guitars to "add value?" Almost anything you can do to a stock guitar will actually lower the value, so the only value to add is to present the guitar better, reach a wider market, and price accordingly.