1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

The poor mans Leslie Sim

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Jun 27, 2006.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hey guys...Y'all are looking high and low for Leslie Sims, and spending the big bucks, but, didja ever think of this?.....

Ask your audience to spin around while you play?

Sure, they may get dizzy, but they already fall into the mic stand while dancing...how much worse could it get?

Don't have money for a good Fuzz? Supply wax paper and tape and ask them to tape it to their ears!

Gotta think outside the box!

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I read an interview with (I think) Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull once, where he said that in order to get a Leslie effect on a guitar, they had a roadie stand on top of a 4x12" with a mic on a cable, and swing it round the cab while they were playing though it :).

3. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

That's a damn good idea. Don't think I wont try it. But the spinning audience means no extra work for the band's entourage.

4. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

wrap your combo amps power cord around the blades of a ceiling fan
    (May require extension cord)

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Poor mans Delay....play everything twice.

Seriously, when I was younger, I worked on mimicing a delay or echo. With a volume pedal and paying attention to technique you can make a somewhat convincing echo/delay. You just can't "stack" it or play over it. If it's a hammer on, you can even roll off the tone pot for "tape" sound...

and there is no need for "tap tempo" :)

A volume pedal can also be a "poor mans tremolo", which can actually do triplets, or whatever you want. You have to have the "jimmy legs" to do it well, but lots of guitarists have that overenergized thing going. You can do soulful slow trem with it also.

This could be a useful thread actually, tips and tricks, besides my silly one about spinning audiences.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, I've heard of the spinning mic thing before. Can't remember the 60s track that's a tech lying on the floor spinning the mic horizontally in front of the speaker cab...

7. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

There was a video clip from NAMM (you might be able to still find it on Harmony Central's NAMM archives) when Roland introduced that little modelling cube amp that comes with a shoulder strap. The coolest part of the demo was when the presenter (who was wearing the amp on its shoulder strap) started spinning around when he was playing. That actually did produce a passable Leslie effect.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

not the most innovative trick in the book, but using a Les Paul style guitar, you can simulate a tremolo by flipping the switch on it, leaving one pickup with volume on 0. Lenny Kravitz uses it at the end of "Are you gonna go my way"

9. threm

threm Member

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

An Arion Stereo Chorus is about the same price as an extension chord...

11. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Dano Chicken Salad is not only a poor man's Leslie, but it holds its own against some heavy competition.