1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

The post about the first Van Halen Demos got me thinking: What happened between Mike and Eddie?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Hefalump, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

If you watch the video of the Cherokee Studio demo sessions, there is a picture of a very young Eddie and Mike obviously LIKING each other's company: like brothers.

What the heck happened to make them dislike each other so much? Must have been something huge......or was it just to get Wolfie in the band and on the payroll?

Dr Bonkers and sahhas like this.
  2. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

In short, EVH is colossal a$$hole.

3. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

4. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

Fame
    Fortune
    Addictions

saltbird, Subhuman, mbenigni and 12 others like this.
  5. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

Since I'm not one to constantly read about this stuff, I'd be interested to just get a bullet points version, too.

6. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

7. lespauled

lespauled Member

8. chandra

chandra Member

Maybe they just grew apart?

Business partners, friends, family members; As we get older, people tend to spat with others, especially when you share such close quarters. I think Eddie and Mike just grew into two very different people by their late 30's and eventually hated each other enough/drifted to the point where the public spats started ramping up.

Startup businesses with friends as the board are very hard. Now, imagine the hard rock version of a startup, founded by multiple asshole personalities, that eventually becomes a conglomerate? Yikes.

9. tastylicks

tastylicks Member

Human relationships are complicated.

Pretty sure no one on this board can offer anything of substance since, you know, we never met the dudes beyond perhaps an autograph or similar.

10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Musicians stop developing social skills at about the 13-14 year old level.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  11. hpharley90

hpharley90 Member

From what I thought they didn't like him hanging out and having fun with Sammy.
    Childish stuff.

12. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

and only time would tell if they'd stand the test of time.

13. 247jamz

247jamz Member

A friend of mine used to work for Charvel, and in the early 80's, Eddie stopped by the factory, and was a bit drunk, and at one point started complaining about Michael Anthony, saying he sucked, and this was without provocation, he just started talking **** about him to a bunch of guys. So it's been an issue for a long time.

14. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

According to Noel Monk's book, Dave was more frustrated with Michael than Eddie was. Dave was pissed that Michael was receiving 25% of the songwriting revenue but never actually contributed to the songwriting. Monk details and event where Dave dumped a plate of spaghetti on Michael's head because of it. When Sammy came in, he was actually looking out for Michael's interests and that probably didn't sit well with Alex and Eddie.

[​IMG]

Oh, and drugs are bad, mkay?

evaporatus, p19978, DanSimon and 24 others like this.
  15. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Hmmm. Interesting stuff. I didn't know Mike didn't do any songwriting?!?

16. strike3

strike3 Member

I highly recommend Noel’s book to anyone interested

17. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Member

Money is typically at the root of really big band breakup issues ... disagreements over who is contributing the most ... who's the "REAL" star, who is along for the ride ... who is really writing the new songs ... who is the most "replaceable" and who is really selling the tickets ... how things have changed since big money started rolling in and ultimately, who gets what going forward.

It's a lot easier, when band members are hungry and just trying to start out, to make agreements about all for one and one for all when there's no real big money and you're in survival mode than it is to keep them when millions are rolling in.

The rest are typically side issues that feed into that.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  18. sahhas

sahhas Member

Yea, and according to the Sammy book, Sammy didn't love the cut that Alex was getting and he said Alex contributed the same amount of songwriting as Michael...so he thought they should be even in their cut, but obviously Alex was getting more.
    It's hard to guess what the motivations behind all this are, but sadly I'm sure a lot of it was substance abuse and the fact that in the 70s they started out as 4 guys trying to conquer the world and by the early 80s they had conquered the world and things change.....

slight OT-i had a professor back in college talking about some of the research he had done in cinema, he wrote a lot about early cinema, etc. I was doing a paper on Charlie Chaplin, and my professor had met him. He told me: the world needs geniuses, but sadly it's not easy living with geniuses....

And I think partially this applies to the EVH and MA situation....

the Monk book, is a good read...if you don't want to see "behind the curtain", then it might not be the book for you....but I highly recommend it....

19. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

This is true for a lot of them, but there are some who do grow up. Unfortunately, the Van Halen brothers are not among them.

20. sahhas

sahhas Member

i watched a bit of the clip, it's funny one of the early 70s pics of DLR, he has Keith Partridge hair!!!!!
    this pic:
    [​IMG]