The Pritchard Amp Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brian Johnston, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Curious to know what Pritchard amp you're using, and with what settings and pedals.

I'm using a Black Dagger... here is the review I did on it:

http://www.musicgearreview.com/article-display/3258.html

My settings vary. When using analog pedals, such as the SolidGoldFX or the FuzzBubble-45, I tend to like the Marshall setting (for straigh-ahead rock). When using the Boss GT-Pro rack mount, the sound is thinner (great for heavier metal), and I put the amp on the Fender setting to fatten it up. My volume and Watts tend to be around 1 o-clock (everything goes through a mixer and into my KRK Rokit 8 monitor speakers). When it comes to softer rock, mellow lead playing, I tend to select the S or L settings for that really clean tone, regardless of the effects I use.

2. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Surprised no one picked up on this one, since there are some Pritchard fans out there. If you listen to this song...

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/logicbdj/music/all/play1088518

All guitar pieces are via a Pritchard Black Dagger, and it shows the diversity of the amp (particularly when working with pedals). I really like the tone in the last lead piece (which is the SAME as the first lead intro piece, but with a change in pickup selection).

3. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Estoc + M13 through a Jensen Tornado. Sold all my OD pedals. M13 is for time-based effects and occasional wah only. M voice for rhythm on Channel 1, where I like the volume up above noon and the Watts down around 9:00. Channel 2 gain is at 2:00 for flutey neck-pickup leads through the F voice. :)

4. Dave

Dave Member

5. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Sorry about that... it's called:

It's All Right, Now.

6. Dave

Dave Member

Bah! Not going to work on my iPhone. I'll check it out on my computer later. Thanks for posting. I'm really interested in a Pritchard.

7. DRS

DRS Member

Interested

8. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Agreed. But "them" is one guy with limited resources.

Eric needs a pro musician in his corner and a webmaster to streamline the site design.

Personally, I think the lineup is very simple despite the names. The problem is that the selection is like building a burrito at Chipotle, and I think people would rather have a few simple packages presented to them. You've got single-channel amps (Daggers) in three styles. You've got a dual-channel vintage amp (like two Daggers in one), and you've got a dual-channel MV/non-MV amp. Then there's the various cabinets, which can be used for any of the amps. Finally there's the color.

Nice amps for those that can dig 'em.

9. ekp

ekp Member

The confusion that you have is from my offering more than a few models. You get to pick amps for amp reasons and the cabinet for speaker reasons. One of the popular combos is one that you would not expect to get from classic amplifier manufacturers - a small single 12 with a full featured two-channel amp.

When the website was first created we had mechanical drawings of the cabinets and the amplifiers. These were put together with photo graphs of tolex to create the "cartoons," which, aside from the precise tolex pattern, are exact. There are photos on the site of completed amps. The magazine ads use photos too.

What is impossible to get across in the website how the amps feel and play. That you can find on these pages.

Have a great day, Eric Pritchard

10. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Eric Pritchard does have some good bands using his gear. I suggested that he obtain permission to include some MP3s on his site, of those bands. People want to hear the gear in action, and other top amp companies do just this! And, I'm sure, those bands would like some added exposure being on his site!

11. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

This is the second in a series... of Grimm fairly tales developed into a song (my first was the Frog Prince). Story here if you're not familiar with it:

http://www.grimmstories.com/en/grimm_fairy-tales/the_gallant_tailor

This song varies in styles, but there is a distinctive Pink Floyd The Wall vibe (which becomes evident midway through).

Using two guitars and two pedals from Analog Alien. The cleaner guitar sounds are through my Hendrix tribute guitar and the FuzzBubble pedal. The dirtier sounds are through an edgier guitar, also built by Casper Guitar Technologies... and that is through both the FuzzBubble and the Twister pedals. Everything through a Pritchard Black Dagger amp.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/logicbdj/music/all/play1119906

WORDS:

When the tailor ate his jam,
    His destiny aglow,
    He gave a swat, then he thought,
    “Seven at one blow!”

One blow through time and rife.
    One moment can change your life.

He claimed his honor through deception.
    A stone bird covert, it flew into the air,
    The giant stood and stared.

He sauntered on and proved them wrong,
    From a wild boar to a unicorn,
    The fabled king was born.

Is fortune as perceived?
    Will the truth not set you free?
    Or as history has shown,
    That lies work best alone.

Dishonesty bigotry
    Clogs wheels of everything.
    No surprise when mankind
    Sews a tailor into a king.

12. bettset

bettset Member

i have the gold sabre....now it's called the estoc. mine is 8 years old. people look at the price......but they don't pay attention to what goes into these amps. eric is right........few realize the quality & how they play. easiest recording amp i've found.....just wish i had something completed, but that's the producers fault. his site hasn't been updated in like 6 years i think. that's up to him. watch what happens when his patents expire.......i think the amp companies will learn some things :munch