the Pro Analog Tour-Box thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fatback, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatback

fatback Member

I had the fortunate experience of being first on the Pro-Analog tour box that just started moving around. I'm starting this thread in hopes that others on the tour will chime in with their own findings and clips. Donner is still organizing the tour so please contact him if you were on the original list or with questions. Scotty or Donner will be sending emails with contact info to the current person on the tour so they can pass it on to the next in line...

When I opened up the box I found plenty of goodies inside:

-Dirt Royale with cheeze
    -Boost Royale prototype
    -Power Driver
    -Dual Drive w/ 12 v. adapter
    -Scott60 - (just to see what all the fuss was about...)

Dirt Royale - Dang this is a cool box! Probably my favorite of the bunch. With a slightly broken up amp, this pedal can take your rig into very dynamic crunch and creamy sustain, all the while giving some of the best cleaned up rolled back tones I've ever heard. I especially loved this pedal with my Grosh set-neck into a cranked Vox 15watter. Dude! The Dirt Royale can give you varying degress of silicon and germanium dirt, or a mix of both. The controls on the pedal are very interactive and really need to be experimented with an open mind. With the Cheeze on the sound gets a bit more raw and over the top, but still cleans up exceptionally well. As Muddy pointed out in another thread, bent notes really seem to leap out. I'll be ordering a Dirt-Royale for myself soon.

Dirt-Royale clip:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=540580937612098631

Boost Royale prototype. I was never a fan of treble boosters in the past. I had an early Scott's Crispy Cream pedal and never dug it. Well that all changed with the Boost Royale! This is not your pop's treble booster! Scotty has taken this one much furthar. It is a three knobber with boost, level, and cut, (tone). It can act like a regular treble booster, just fine, but with the boost up, this little guy can add some serious girth and grind along with it's great presence. With the "cut" knob dialed down, it can act more like a mid booster, if that's more of your thing. This one is another winner for me. My order is already in.

Boost Royale clip:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6256864983254963202

Power-Driver
    Aka "Beck to the Future!" ;) This guy packs some serious PUNCH! No doubt you'll get heard in the mix with the Power Driver on your board. It also adds uncanny clarity to your notes. Rolled back, I love the tones I'm getting, snapping strings with my fingers. With the gain over 3:00 the P.D. mutates into a nuclear fuzz-bomb. Great fun.

Power-Driver clip:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7797075868989587251

There has already been a lot written about the Dual-Drive. Suffice to say I dig mine that I've had for about a year. Because it doesn't imprint a hard eq. over your sound, it interacts very well with other pedals without canceling/mutiplying frequencies or otherwise getting in their way. I love it before my Supa-Quack!

Dual-Driving a Supa-Quack Wah - (second half of clip)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7036509769336508752&pl=true

Lastly the Scott60. First I'll get one thing out of the way... this is not a COT50 with a tone knob! Apples and Oranges here people. The Cot50 is much more wild and wide-open sounding with a bit of a mid peak. The Scott60 is more of a focused boost which like the Boost-Royale, can also work as mid booster with the "cut" dialed in. Just for fun I stacked the Scott60, (with plenty of cut) into the Cot50, (with its big hairy mids.) They complimented each other very well and sounded great!

----------------------------------

With all the Pro-Analog pedals, you really should throw out your pedal preconceptions before you start using one. Scotty's pedals aren't designed like most other pedals on the market. They tend to have a flat eq with the tone knob only for treble cut, or fine tuning. These pedals are meant to bring out the best of your guitar and amps natural tone. With your ears and a little time, they aren't that hard to figure out.

This was a great chance to see a builder's philosophy at work through his whole line. I got a much better sense of Scotty's work now. Pro-Analog wasn't named by accident. These are tough as nails, no b.s. boxes of tone that bring out the best from a good rig, instead of trying to mask or patch a mediocre one. I am now a true believer. Keep up the great work Scotty!

:AOK
    http://www.proanalog.com/

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd love to get on the list-I'll email Scotty... Bob

3. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Scott, put me on it as well..

4. fatback

fatback Member

Thanks for the replies, but I believe the schedule is already set, Scotty is the one that knows for sure. Replying here won't automaticly get you on the tour, (sorry for the bum-out guys.) If you were already signed up, be patient, you should be receiving a email when it is getting close to you.

My hope is that as the tour progresses, this thread can grow to become a Pro-Analog FAQ sheet with a buch of different folks discussing, (and showing with clips if possible,) how they are each using the Pro-Analog pedals with their ownparticular rigs.

cheers.

:)

5. fatback

fatback Member

I talked to Scotty today. Anyone that was on the original tour-box list should send Scotty an email:

proanalog at comcast dot net

cheers.

6. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Fatback,

I gotta ask...

What was your setup in the Boost Royale Clip? Amp, etc?

How do you have your Tele modded? I assume it'a a 52 reissue with reversed control plate and if I remember correctly you use Fred Stuart Pickups. I've got Hamels which are pretty similar. Did you also swap your bridge plate?

Your tone and playing are stellar. By the way, check your PM's.

7. fatback

fatback Member

All of the above clips were recorded in my living room using a valveboy od, (dialed clean-ish) and a Maxon AD-900 delay into a Princeton reverb amp, (at about 2 - 2 1/2.

Hopefully other folks on the tour will post some clips of the pedals being used with opened up amps and in the mix with a band. In any case, I was getting some great sounds out of them in my livingroom last week.

I had that tele pre-modded by Jonathon Wilson.

cheers.

8. fatback

fatback Member

Scotty still needs to get confirmations from most of the folks that were interested in the tour-box. Drop him an line at the above email and be sure to include your address.

9. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

Over the last few days, I’ve had the opportunity to evaluate five of Scotty’s pedals, the Scot60, Boost Royale, Dual Drive, Dirt Royale with Cheeze, and Power Driver. I’m very impressed with all of them. I have already placed orders for two pedals and am planning future purchases. In many cases, a Pro Analog pedal will replace a previous favorite because it nails the tone and produces a number more.

These pedals do not strip away highs nor add gobs of gain at all levels. This allowed my guitar and amp to maintain their tone at gigging levels while adding boost, overdrive, distortion, or fuzz. Each guitar continued to display its unique features and the amp was still able to produce bright, punchy tones. Throughout all but the most distorted tones, articulation was evident in big chords. At bedroom levels, I found myself using a Hot Plate to get the pedals and amp to interact almost as they did at higher volumes.

These pedals are extremely well built and all but the Scot60 create no unwanted noise. The controls and jacks adhere to a logical layout except for the Dual Drive, which swaps the input and output jacks. All of the pedals feature true bypass, LED indicators, and Boss PSA style jacks.

While tonal qualities are subjective, Pro Analog’s low noise, high build quality, and modern features clearly set a high standard for other builders. It is plainly obvious these are designed to perform to the highest professional standards.

Review Setup: Suhr Standard / McInturff Polaris / Gibson R7 Les Paul > Pro Analog pedal > Groove Tubes Soul-o 75 - Lexicon MPX100 (FX loop)

Scot60: This booster ranges from clean to loud and mean. The Boost knob does exactly as you would expect while the Cut control radically changes the pedal’s personality. At the clockwise extreme, it is a bit of a treble boost. When set to full counterclockwise, the low-mids are strongly emphasized. Unlike a typical cut control, the sweep between the two extremes seems to blend between these frequency band boosts. The Cut control makes it a versatile booster. Although less than most boosts I’ve tried, the Scot60 does add some unwanted noise when engaged.

Boost Royale: An improvement on the Scot60, the Boost Royale adds a Level control to the mix. With Level, you can adjust the pedal’s output while allowing the Boost to function more like an input gain control. There is a ton of boost on tap but it can also do a nice, sparkling clean boost.

The Cut control in similar in function to the Scot60 but it is reversed in direction (CCW highs & CW low-mids). I noticed less unwanted noise than with the Scot60. I ordered one of these versatile beauties.

Dual Drive: Just as the name implies, this pedal is more like having two drive pedals than it is having a single drive with a boost. Each channel produces a wide range of overdriven tones that react very well to rolling down the guitar’s volume. The Clean channel can produce some very dirty tones but always retains clarity and articulation. The Drive channel is more beefy at the cost of a little clarity. The Bark and Bite controls are well-voiced EQ and the Bite can be pulled for a Phat boost.

I used this pedal with a 12VDC adapter and didn’t notice any additional noise. What struck me most about the Dual Drive was the ability to tweak it from clean boost with sparkle to deep sustaining distortion. Most of this range was accessed by simply adjusting my guitar’s volume and my picking attack. If there ever were an OD pedal I could leave on all the time, this would be it.

Dirt Royale with Cheeze: This is my favorite of the bunch. It differs from the Dual Drive in that it is higher gain with a little something extra, Cheeze. Cheeze is a fixed amount of gain and EQ boost that is just right to take things to the next level. The Feed control blends between silicon smoothness and germanium craziness. The Gain and Tone controls interact with one another so that the mid peak seems to follow the level of gain. The Gain knob can be pulled for Phaze mode, which sounds to me like some of the tone stack is defeated to produce a louder, more present tone.

Just like the Dual Drive, this pedal reacts very well to rolling off the guitar’s volume. I also dug the amount of boost Cheeze gives. It was perfect for jumping from rhythm to lead and getting a little cheesy.

Power Driver: The Power Driver is raw and delivers quite a punch. The Treble and Bass controls are well voiced and emphasize or tame this pedals searing highs. Above 3:00 on the Gain knob is major silicon fuzz depravity.

Of the bunch, this pedal wants to go the loudest. I’m glad I saved it for last because after it my hearing was shot. However, I was grinning from ear to ear!

This was the first time I played through Pro Analog effects. When it comes to top-shelf OD pedals, I currently own a whole lot of what’s being built today. In very few cases, have I’ve dug a wide range of pedals offered by one builder. It isn’t an exaggeration or offhand comment when I say that Pro Analog has just moved to the top of my list for OD effects.

In the next few days, I will post some short clips I recorded with the above setup.

Cheers,
    McE

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Guys,

Scotty's confirmed that I'm on the list. This is my first tourbox. Can you guys school me on the ettiquette and instructions? How long do you keep it? Is there mailing instructions? Do you include insurance, etc...

11. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

You should keep the Tour Box for about three days and dedicate some time to really giving them a thorough evaluation. Scotty will give you the contact information for the next person in line. You should send it to them USPS insured or similar service. The box includes good packing materials.

Please make sure to respond to this thread with a detailed review. I'm looking forward to reading other opinions.

Cheers,
    McE

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Scotty confirmed that I'm on the list as well... I'm very excited... this is my first tourbox and my first time being able to try before I buy boutique gear because I live way up in canuck land.

I already have a Power Driver and Dirt Royale and they sound incredible with my Germino LoVo Lead 55. However... I'm psyched to try them stacked into their twins:D

I've also been dying to try the Dual Drive, Scot60 and Boost Royale... so there are plenty of suprises in this box for me!

-TJK

P.S I have no ability to record clips... but I do gig regularly and will post tone reviews for each pedal and which "stacks" I found most successful!

P.S.S Scotty is da MAN!

13. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

TJK - Excellent! I look forward to reading your review.

14. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Thanks Guys!

Will Scotty or someone email when we are about to receive the box? I'd hate to be out of town or something!

15. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

In my case, I was emailed by Scotty and fatback who had he Tour Box before me. In turn, I have contacted the next person in advance. I'd expect this pattern to continue.

Get ready for a box-o-fun to arrive on your doorstep.

Cheers,
    McE

16. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Sweet! About how much did it run you to ship it?

17. muddy

muddy Member

awesome review, groucho!!!

ml

18. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

I don't know. Luckily for me, the next person also lives in San Francisco.

19. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

Thanks, muddy!

20. fatback

fatback Member

I received my very own custom-paint Boost-Royale from Scotty during the TGP-crash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a true piece of art - both inside and out.

:BEERcheers Scotty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.