The Problem With Picks

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I love the feel and control of a Jazz III style pick, but I don't like the tone or attack as well as a medium celluloid...

I love the tone and attack of a medium celluloid style pick, but I don't like the feel or control as well as a Jazz III...

I wish there was a middle ground... but I'm not sure it's physically possible. I want the control and feel of a Jazz III with the tone and attack of a medium celluloid. The problem is, the thinness, big size, and flexibility is what gives the celluloid the attack and tone I love, but it's also what makes it feel loose and clumsy. the thickness, small size, and rigidity of the Jazz III is what gives it the feel and control I love, but it's also what destroys the tone and attack for me.

Right now, I keep a stash of both in my case, and switch back and forth through the gig depending on the song...

Ah, first world problems :)

TEPR

Fender makes a celluloid Jazz III shaped pick sorta. Style 551. Too small for my monster thumb though.

Myself, I want a Jazz III XL in Heavy celluloid...

joevacc

I was a long time Black Stiffo Jazz III user but have made the switch to the Primetone Jazz III's.

They are even thicker than the nylon picks though... 1.40mm vs 1.38mm...
Seems little but I certainly feel the difference. I would love to try a thin version.

That said, if you asked me a few months ago whether I would change my original Jazz III's I would have laughed and laughed.

Now, I am a total convert. Maybe some of the other size offerings with the Primetone line would suit you. I love the material.

Good luck,

Broomz

I love the feel and control of a Jazz III style pick, but I don't like the tone or attack as well as a medium celluloid...

I love the tone and attack of a medium celluloid style pick, but I don't like the feel or control as well as a Jazz III...

I wish there was a middle ground... but I'm not sure it's physically possible. I want the control and feel of a Jazz III with the tone and attack of a medium celluloid. The problem is, the thinness, big size, and flexibility is what gives the celluloid the attack and tone I love, but it's also what makes it feel loose and clumsy. the thickness, small size, and rigidity of the Jazz III is what gives it the feel and control I love, but it's also what destroys the tone and attack for me.

Right now, I keep a stash of both in my case, and switch back and forth through the gig depending on the song...

Ah, first world problems :)
You need the celluloid ones if you're doing a bright, loose wrist, say funk or r-n-b type rhythm thing, where you want a light, fluttery touch. I like the Ultex Jazz picks for heavier stuff when I want a rounder tone. I keep one of each in my pocket. Some people cart around a Pedaltrain Terra for chrissakes! I can manage a second pick in my pocket.

Last edited:

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Check out Gravity Picks. Love them and never going back after getting their Axis shape. Perfect design for my playing style and they have tons of other custom stuff including Jazz style picks.

Playpunk

Seems little but I certainly feel the difference. I would love to try a thin version.
I've read a lot of crazy things on this board, but this one might take the cake. Two hundredths of a millimeter. That's less than a thousandth of an inch. You might feel the difference in material (I do as well) but come on man.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
You need the celluloid ones if you're doing a bright, loose wrist, say funk or r-n-b type rhythm thing, where you want a light, fluttery touch. I like the Ultex Jazz picks for heavier stuff when I want a rounder tone. I keep one of each in my pocket. Some people cart around a Pedaltrain Terra for chrissakes! I can manage a second pick in my pocket.
This is exactly my situation. I keep a couple of each close by at a gig and switch depending on the song.

I'm thinking the two are mutually exclusive for me, because I think it has more to do with the size and thickness than the actual material. I've tried every variation of a Jazz III in every material I can find; some have been closer than others, but none have that tone and attack that a medium celluloid gives me.

It's the larger size and flexibility of the medium celluloid that gives me the tone and attack I love for percussive styles like funk, and it's the smaller size and rigidity of the Jazz III that gives me the precision and feel that I love.

Fender makes a celluloid Jazz III shaped pick sorta. Style 551. Too small for my monster thumb though.
Those are cool, I'm gonna have to look at more of the Fender sizes. I'm very curious to try out the 551 and that 451

I was a long time Black Stiffo Jazz III user but have made the switch to the Primetone Jazz III's.

That said, if you asked me a few months ago whether I would change my original Jazz III's I would have laughed and laughed.

Now, I am a total convert. Maybe some of the other size offerings with the Primetone line would suit you. I love the material.

Good luck,
I've been spending some time playing all the Jazz III variants I can find. The Primetone's are nice, but I'm not sold on the ultex material. Maybe it's psychological, but I feel like it grabs at the strings a bit more than other materials. It feels like it drags a bit on the strings to me.

I've really been liking the Jazz III sized Jazztone pick as well

I keep thinking the best thing to do is probably to suck it up and stick with the medium celluloid and learn the feel of it so I can develop better control with it. It seems like it's easier for the medium celluloid to cover what I like with the Jazz III than it is for the Jazz III to cover what I like about the medium celluloid.

Or maybe I'll just forever keep 2 picks around

joevacc

I've read a lot of crazy things on this board, but this one might take the cake. Two hundredths of a millimeter. That's less than a thousandth of an inch. You might feel the difference in material (I do as well) but come on man.
I felt it right away. I remember being surprised because I assumed that they would be the same. I looked up the specs after the fact...
Anyway, I mentioned it because the OP had said that he liked the "tone and attack" of a medium pick...

joevacc

I feel like it grabs at the strings a bit more than other materials. It feels like it drags a bit on the strings to me.
Huh, That is how I felt about the original Jazz III's. Especially after they wore in a bit. The Ultex seemed to glide better for me. They are lasting quite a long time as well.. I would chuck the nylon picks after a week or so because the tips were fraying on me.

jimijimmyjeffy

IMHO the ultex jazz 3's (I like the large) are almost the best of both worlds. Close. To me they could still use a bit of a harder attack or brighter attack. But they are close to what the OP wants, or maybe closest, I would guess. I like them a lot better than regular jazz 3's for their better hardness.

I don't know if V picks make an equivalent, as I haven't really looked into them. Too expensive for something I lose.

saltbird

Yeah, they're five bucks a piece but I've found 2mm Mini Classic Gravity picks were exactly what the doctor ordered. They have the feel and control of a jazz III, but an overall better pick attack tone. It takes forever for them to wear down and since they actually cost me some bills, I've found that I never lose them. In the long run I'm spending about the same amount of money on picks that I used to. I actually use Big Mini Classics now which are in between a normal pick size and a jazz III, but same concept.

They may seem gimmicky but I recommend just trying one. I believe they still send out free samples.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're five bucks a piece but I've found 2mm Big Mini Classic Gravity picks were exactly what the doctor ordered. They have the feel and control of a jazz III, but an overall better pick attack tone. It takes forever for them to wear down and since they actually cost me some bills, I've found that I never lose them. In the long run I'm spending about the same amount of money on picks that I used to.

They may seem gimmicky but I recommend just trying one. I believe they still send out free samples.
Free samples? Where?!?

Several years ago me and my friend each got a bag of about 4 for free through the website. This was when the company was new. Doesn't look like you can anymore unfortunately. Might be worth sending them an email and asking though.
Emailed... unfortunately they no longer offer samples. Sticking with my D'Addario pros for now.

TimmyPage

I ended up moving to straight up Dunlop Gator Grip 2.0 mm. Amazing sound, great grip, and once I got used to them I found they felt even better in my hand and gave me more control than the Jazz 3's did. YMMV of course, I have huge hands.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Luv these 'Giggin' in the Real World' posts ...!!
Actually always have four to five different size and material picks sitting on my amp which I can interchange at any given moment.
Instant EQ variation .. Feel and/or Articulation, etc. etc. etc.
Makes a long gig more interesting & fresh as the hours go by ...
Truly Picks can make all the difference ...As does no pick at all.

Trending Topics