The PRS Custom 24

Great Guitar or Greatest Guitar?

• Great Guitar

• Greatest Guitar

Results are only viewable after voting.

sting729

I do not mean this to be a slam against PRS's but I bought my 20th Anniversary edition Custom 24 in 2005--I have been playing for over 45 years and the CU 24 is probably the easiest guitar to play I have ever owned and the build quality is superb--- but I just can't get the tone I want out of it no matter what amps, effects, strings etc etc I try, it just always sounds so "thin". I would probably sell it if the resale market on them wasn't so bad.

THebert

Gold Supporting Member
I had to vote great because I like some others as well. The cu24 is one of my favorites, though, for sure. I love the regular neck carve. I also like how the neck pickup is closer to the bridge (though most do not like that about the cu24).

I do not mean this to be a slam against PRS's but I bought my 20th Anniversary edition Custom 24 in 2005--I have been playing for over 45 years and the CU 24 is probably the easiest guitar to play I have ever owned and the build quality is superb--- but I just can't get the tone I want out of it no matter what amps, effects, strings etc etc I try, it just always sounds so "thin". I would probably sell it if the resale market on them wasn't so bad.
i replaced the pickups. just couldn't get with the Vintage Bass and HFS. now it has Dimarzio Virtual PAFs, as suggested by fellow forumite Shovelhead.

it went from "great guitar" to "greatest guitar".

Butterfly

Platinum Supporting Member
I voted great. For some reason the difference between 22 and 24 frets does not really effect me the way scale length does for example.

sting729

i replaced the pickups. just couldn't get with the Vintage Bass and HFS. now it has Dimarzio Virtual PAFs, as suggested by fellow forumite Shovelhead.

it went from "great guitar" to "greatest guitar".
Did you keep the 5 way rotary switch? I have seen a lot of players remove it and install a 3-way.

Did you keep the 5 way rotary switch? I have seen a lot of players remove it and install a 3-way.
i had originally bought mine with McCarty switching. when i installed the new pickups, i also installed a push/pull volume pot. each pickup is wired to a push/pull for independent series/parallel operation. i find it a lot more useful than splitting the pickups, and the entire circuit stays humbucking.

amc

with a pickup swap (get rid of the hfs & vintage bass), the custom 24 is an excellent
guitar

the early cu24's with t and b pickups are another story.........

RIMRAK

My experience as well. I think it is the scale more than the pickups.

glaswerks

I have owned a CU24 since '96. Was a nice guitar, but never warmed to the switch or pickups.

Since dumping the rotary switch for a toggle and dumping the Vintage Bass and HFS for Gibson 57's it is a great guitar. I have a set of 5708's coming in to try so maybe it will be back to PRS pickups in the near future.

FWIW, the HFS sounds GREAT on a PRS SE SSH style guitar.

Gary

Mesa

I have a cu22 and absolutly love it. I hope to add a cu24 and a hollowbody II to my collection.

sting729

I have owned a CU24 since '96. Was a nice guitar, but never warmed to the switch or pickups.

Since dumping the rotary switch for a toggle and dumping the Vintage Bass and HFS for Gibson 57's it is a great guitar. I have a set of 5708's coming in to try so maybe it will be back to PRS pickups in the near future.

FWIW, the HFS sounds GREAT on a PRS SE SSH style guitar.

Gary

I will be curious to hear how the 5708's compare to the '57's. I have also been considering the '57 classics and the toggle but I am hesitant to dump more $$ and mod a guitar I spent $2700 for that is now only worth about $1800 on the used market

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
There is no greatest guitar so I said great, but if there was the category 'one of the greatest', I would have chosen that. It's an essential part of my stable.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
with a pickup swap (get rid of the hfs & vintage bass), the custom 24 is an excellent
guitar

the early cu24's with t and b pickups are another story.........

Is that yours? Wow, really quite the specimen! FWIW I love the HFS/VB in my Cu24 AP with a 5-way.

Trending Topics