The R6 first impression

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by No Code 5, Jul 8, 2005.

1. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

The fedex man brought me a prize yesterday. An R6. purchased new online for a used price.

First impressions after playing for about four hours or so. Very happy with this... the moment I picked it up I could tell it was a good guitar and that it would fit me well.

When my 335 arrived a few weeks ago, the moment I picked it up, I could tell I didn't like the neck or balance. This was the total opposite. The guitar just felt good to hold.

Playing unplugged (what I did last night for about three of the hours) the guitar really sings. Great resonance throughout the entire body and neck, good balance, the guitar was setup very well too. The tailpiece is pretty much flush with the body(how I prefer to setup a tunomatic) and every note on the guitar had a balanced and strong tone to it. Sustain is very good.

The neck is big but not overwhelming... I like a big neck to fill my hand. I experienced none of the hand fatigue that convinced me to return the 335. The neck isn't as fast for lead work as the slim taper... but lead work isn't my thing. Riffs and chords feel great on this neck, you can really dig in.

This is my first LP, but a good guitar is a good guitar... This guitar is even better for me, because I can tell it fits my playing very well.

The build quality is very good as well. As I said, the whole guitar really resonates and feels solid (that is the most important construction aspect). The finish looks good, there are some minor areas where it is not perfect. A pencil thin line of polish compound near the binding by the selector switch and on the underside of the neck where the pickguard would rest... but I had to really stare to see them. Finish is smooth all around.

Plugged in to a Twin Reverb the guitar sounds BIG. Riffs, chords, etc... all big and lively. Time will tell if the pickups, pots, and tuners are going to stay... but this guitar is a keeper.

It gets five out of five headbangers:
    :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Glad to hear Gibson made one right for a change. Congrats on the new axe.

3. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

IMO, they made this one right. I did see some of the things others have complained about... the polishing compound for example... but the guitar feels too good to let that bother me.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

They get better and better! The neck gets a wee bit sticky but micro mesh {Scott Peterson's great post} takes care of that asap.

Try a set of the Vintage Snake Oil Strings on that R6; you'll weep tears of joy. And a bone nut will make those open E riffs ring like a piano. Personally, I think the tuners function excellent and are part of the vibe and tone. I would not change them.

If you can manage the big necks then I see these guitars as lifetime keepers. And their value is only going to rise.

5. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

The guitar will need a new nut once I set it up with my preferred 11s, the tuners seem alright in my limited exposure.

I have the same tuners on my J-200 and they hold up very well... lord knows I beat on that guitar. :D

I haven't bothered to change the strings or any of that yet... the strings from the factory are still clean. I am interested to try the SOSs though.

6. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I did a similar treatment to my reissue tele neck... I used things I had around the house, but smoothed things out and removed the sticky.

I think I will be trying this out... I need to oil the fretboard too.

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

You won't need a new nut with the 11's, I didn't with my new R7.
    Just use some lube, I like Tri-flow which is a teflon based lube.
    It will be sticky for a week or so (even with the luve) and then it settles in nicely, same with the tuners, mine seemed to settle in after a week or two.

The main thing is to play it and play it more. I gigged mine when it was a week or two old, just beat the snot out of it.
    The bone nut is nice but you will only hear it on open strings, I say if it ain't broke......

Forget all that finish garb, that is for the collectors, goldtops are players and nothing, no guitar, looks better then a beat up cracked greened old goldtop.

Congrats on the Axe!!

I'd love an R4 or R6 in my arsenal.

8. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

thanks Mr. H,

I might do the neck treatment because I do like a smooth neck. Like I said, I did the same kind of thing on my telecaster, pretty much took the glossy nitro off...

I was digging into the guitar a bit at lunch time. I hit up a local shop and played through a twin reverb and a bassman ltd... I think I might have to get the bassman ltd afterall. Really great overdrive tones.

I have the pickguard off, so I am sure the first of many scratches is on its way.

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I lost the pickguard too, it annoyed me.

For some reason they seem to scratch easy, so get used to it.
    The darkback on mine shows them really well, in fact this is the ONLY guitar I have ever had that had worming.

My 82 Custom has no worming, go figure.

10. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

LP pickguards have always been in the way to me... same with 335s. Is that you playing the silverburst lp on your webpage? Very cool guitar there.

I can't get the tone of the lp into that bassman out of my head. I think that amp will be coming home with me tonight.

Then I can get around to playing and getting a band together.