the random knick knacks thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by feet, Jul 15, 2019.

1. feet

feet Supporting Member

recently went on a knick-knack shopping spree. here are a few things i picked up i thought were particularly neat. would love to hear about other random bits and misappropriated tchotchkes. (amazon links got weird on me, so google these yourself):

brother p touch label maker- this is one of the smartest gear purchases i've made. had this for a while now and used it so much i had to put in a new cartridge. i labelled the i/o on my amps, on my cab, fx loops, my cables, the load box, everything that goes into the power strips, everything going into my computer, my preamp i/o, etc...

snapz acoustic bridge pin puller- i'm not sure when i got this. it just appeared in one of my junk boxes. gave it a shot and it works really well, once it stretches out a little. popped out all my pins without damaging anything.

anself neck duster brush- this is just me being brilliant. saw the end of the nomad tool and had an idea. this is a brush intended for barbers, but damn if it isn't the single best way to dust off your pedals and amps and whatnot. gets in there without moving the knobs, it holds most of the dust inside as opposed to just throwing it around and it is washable. any barber brush made of most fibers would probably do.

stretcha string stretcher- does what it says it will, even if that thing is kinda dumb. feels a little silly to use, but it does make things faster.

also think that the d'adarrio string winder tool, gorgomyte and the nomad tool are sort of cool, too, but those seem to be pretty well known.

urQuill, Vhailor, monty and 1 other person like this.
  2. monty

monty Member

Nice, never thought of the neck brusher-great idea!

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  3. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

Does this count as a knick knack? A postal scale to weigh guitars (or just about anything else). Very handy if you're selling a guitar; you can sidestep the "how much does it weigh" questions by listing it in your ad.
    [​IMG]

Johnny Moondog and HiddenAgenda like this.
  4. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Member

Emergency pick, snaps on to my main key chain.

[​IMG]

Tmidiman, Abram4235, monty and 2 others like this.
  5. feet

feet Supporting Member

i can't tell you how genuinely impressed i am with myself for that one. i had been going at it with kleenex and baby wipes and qtips for years. this destroys all other options. it's so simple. works for your computer and stuff, too, i guess.

i did that once! got a postal scale, and some digital calipers and thought i'd catalog my guitars. lost interest pretty quickly and i can't find the spreadsheet. :facepalm it was edifying at the time!

i always take a pick with me when i travel. because you never know. i've had myself a few adventures on a couple of different continents just because i had a pick on me at the right time.

6. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

Ordered a neck brush thanks to this thread.

monty likes this.
  7. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

My dad deals with paint brushes (walls etc) & we have been using small flat brushes for intricate dusting since the big bang. It's a great tool for cleaning small items.
    Totally agree that it works beautifully with pedals/guitar/amp.
    I have to be a little careful with my pedals coz I painted them & now they are boutique. Also, don't want the acrylic skin to come off.

downburst82 and monty like this.
  8. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

String Stretcher?

Really?

9. monty

monty Member

Another good idea! My buddy runs a paint store, I'm going to call him up and see what he has.
    Thanks!

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  10. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Blush brush from the makeup section at CVS.
    Softer than any paint brush, doesn't change any knobs or scratch any surface.

11. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

I use an automotive air vent cleaning brush to dust things off. Works well

12. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

This seemed like a possibly, potentially useful item, so I found something on Ebay. It got here yesterday.

And it *is* a useful item!

Thanks for the tip!

(Coincidentally, I'd bought a String Stretcha a few weeks before this thread started.)

monty likes this.
  13. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I’ve got boxes of “stuff” from my great uncle Leo Krebs from his days hanging with Leo Fender, Elvis, Hank Williams, and so on when in Nashville many years ago. Everything guitar related from pins, Fender b&w marketing photos from the 60’s, mugs, jewellery, and a couple of his prototype guitars and a bass he made. I have no idea what to do with it all. Is there a reputable guitar museum I could “loan” it to?