The Raspberries - Vintage Live - Go All The Way / I Wanna Be With You / Let's Pretend

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jay Filippone, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Kallie

Kallie Member

The Mike Douglas Show

November 12, 1973

Eric Carmen is live on the audio, but the backing track is taped.

This was the last performance by Bassist - Dave 'Smalls' Smalley who was
    tossed from the band.

A few weeks later, and 1-day after Thanksgiving, Drummer - Jim Bonfanti quit.

The reason > Eric Carmen had too much creative control and was taking the band
    way too far into Vanilla-Pop.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQtwIwAWoVChMIotD_5pqcyAIVQowNCh0EGAn4&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAsWrONvTAQ&usg=AFQjCNHTSWeL2aWVFvcaBzyZgqUxznJmYQ&sig2=IvTNwZ2NuaNGPQmuGcKocw&bvm=bv.103627116,d.eXY

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

3. Kallie

Kallie Member

"Let's Pretend"

Released ................. March 1973
    Billboard Charts ....... #35

Capitol Records thought that it was going to be another hit like 1972's "Go All The Way".

After this song was released, The Raspberries got labeled as The Beach Boy 'wannabees'.
    Especially after the Music Critics figured out that the band re-cycled the song "Wouldn't It Be Nice"

Soft-Rock by way of West-Coast Beach Vanilla.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CB8QyCkwAGoVChMImN6gp-mcyAIViZMNCh3tbwLE&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4mrfDh8Cis&usg=AFQjCNE2z5bFoNB6mC5aXZe2h8F2L385qA&sig2=nFOjHEEaG7gWmMvE8srw8w

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Jay Filippone likes this.
  4. Kallie

Kallie Member

Why did very few take the Raspberries seriously.

Capitol Records
    * Corporate managed
    * Too clean cut of an image.
    * Large Buoffant Hairdos
    * The name was too sweet
    * Eric Carmen {switched from Bass Guitar to Rhythm, in order to front the band}
    * They made Eric look too much like a pretty boy
    * The debut Album had a 'Scratch-n-Sniff' raspberry-flavored aroma sticker
    * Clothing and dress-wear
    * Matching ensemble on stage
    * Labeled as The Beach Boy {wannabee's}
    * Criticized for stealing > The Hollies and the Small Faces style
    * Highly marketed
    * A 'new' Pop-Rock approach, abandoning their earlier Rock-n-Roll success in Cleveland, Ohio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  5. Kallie

Kallie Member

More Raspberry Fluff

~ Capitol Records Sets Limo Giveway ~

In January 1973,

Capitol Records came up with the idea for the 'Raspberries Rollswagen' promotion.

They had car customizer George Barris design a 1973 Volkswagen with Rolls Royce fenders
    and trim components.

Capitol Records teamed up with 'Star', a youth-oriented magazine, to have a contest
    to raffle off the car.

1,000,000 entry forms were printed, and sent out to 10,000 Music Outlets, along with
    the Raspberries promotional material.
    * Posters
    * Decals
    * Bumper Stickers
    * Lapel Pins

The 'Raspeberries Rollswagen' would be raffled off in March 1973. The car would include a
    custom Quadrasonic 8-Track Player, and '100' 8-Track tapes from the Capitol Records catalog.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Bonfanti {Drummer} >

This stuff was really getting 'F******' ridiculous. I mean, it was downright stupid. They
    {Capitol Records} weren't interested in our Music, they just wanted us to be Sales and Marketing
    suits.

Everything was supposed to be in a form, image or color of a Raspberry. And at every promotional
    stop or press interview, they put a bowl of 'Fresh Raspberries' on the table.

I'm looking at this 'S***' everyday, and each time I'm holding back from just smashing
    my fist into the bowl in front of everybody.

I hated it. We were becoming a 'F****** Joke'.

The only one who thought this was great, was Eric. He was the front-man, and he wanted
    to be the Star. He was really enjoying it, while Dave 'Smalls' Smalley and I were just
    cringing at this 'cheap' marketing ploy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Jay Filippone and fender427 like this.
  6. Kallie

Kallie Member

Raspberries

'Side 3' .......... Released > September 13, 1973

The critics panned the album as 'nothing but sweet fruit inside'.

Others called it 'bad fruit'.

And the best........... The Raspberries are a 'tart' fruit band.

[​IMG]

7. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

Funny and ironic: Jim Bonfanti was the drummer for the Raspberries. Bonfanti almost reds like Bouffant. ;)

Kallie likes this.
  8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

The lead vocalist reminds me of Jeff Buckley - that vibrato.

9. Kallie

Kallie Member

The Raspberries

After signing with Capitol Records, they were supposed to go on Tour
    with 'The Hollies'.

It would have been an excellent mix, as The Raspberries did incorporate
    the same 3-Part Harmonies into their songs as the English-band did, which
    made their famous.

But the Tour fell through. Then a slot opened up for them to join 'The Grass Roots'
    for their first 1972 tour.

10. Kallie

Kallie Member

Star Magazine {February 1973}

[​IMG]

Gretsch&Vox likes this.
  11. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Love the Raspberries and, to be a bit of a grump, a bit miffed they aren't given more credit for the genre of music they helped create. They were, of course, NE Ohio boys.

The live-in-studio clips are quality and proof that they could do those vocals and arrangements live (ahem).

Their reunion tour was a welcome sight and I have the 'Sunset Strip' live album - backing singers employed (including a female) but it still sounds good and fresh. Poor Eric Carmen strained at times to match his old soaring falsetto.

Gretsch&Vox likes this.
  12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I wonder what ever happened to that car? Did Leno get it?

Kallie likes this.
  13. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Seriously People: First off Lester Bangs was a brilliant critic - he believed in
    rock music and depended on it to propel him forward in life. He was harsh
    about many bands - because many bands were not authentic but just
    playing what they thought people wanted to hear instead of bringing
    the best of what they were to the table.

Secondly - While I liked the RaspBerries they never did have the songs to
    back up the talk Eric Carmen would spit out. They were a fantastic band
    if you go by the playing and singing - if you go by the songs - IMO - they
    were lacking something. And there was a reason that for all the PR they generated
    they didn't end up with much.

Thirdly those of you saying we could go without so and so critic -or the Raspberries weren't
    that great - just go have a beer. Critics served a purpose back in the day - and Rockers
    like the Raspberries did as well. They all provided us with the belief we could do it too!

14. Kallie

Kallie Member

The Winner .............. Teena Bouington

It was announced in the June 23, 1973 'Billboard Magazine', that Teena Bouington
    of Florida won.

31,000 entries were received over a 3-Month period.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Gretsch&Vox, chillybilly and Gas-man like this.
  15. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

I will take the worst band over the best critic. Critics then and now all too often have an agenda. They believe, and are even encouraged to do so, that their tastes should be the tastes of the masses while simultaneously deriding what the masses find popular.

Critics who are coddled, travel with the bands (see also: White House press corps) and plied with food, drink and corporeal pleasures are almost guaranteed to give positive reviews or even venture into the creation of various legends, myths, rumors, etc., most of it pure fiction and the rest shameless embellishment.

In the days of the printed page critics were given far too much latitude and power in declaring this better than that, stating that certain bands, genres, etc. were over and done despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. Their 'trendsetter' status was self-declared and therefore arbitrary and artificial. Magazines implied - or insisted outright - that their opinion of music was more important than the music itself.

And then there are the critics' bands. Hear the term 'critically acclaimed' and you can get short odds on the band being kindred spirits with the critic i.e. in constant danger of disappearing up their own backsides.

Finally, the critic's lexicon, in which 'eponymous,' 'elegiac' and other words rarely used outside music reviews are worn threadbare.

Critics claimed to detest cliche' but employed it far more often than any 12-bar blues band.

SnidelyWhiplash and FusionRock like this.
  16. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

And here she is today (the internet is a stalkers' charter)

[​IMG]

17. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

In 1972, I was 17. The Rasberries were a great example of teeny bopper/bubble gum pop. WE had about 5 rock stations in Los Angeles. When their song would hit the first note, my hand was twisting to the left or right looking for The Who, Cream, The Doors, The Beatles, Young, CSN, Bowie,etc etc. There was endless amount of quality stuff that blew the mundane corporated rock out the door. Bands like this and the corporate behavior around them are part of the decay and decline of rocknroll as we once knew it,(gifted and quality with little corporate influence).

Gretsch&Vox likes this.
  18. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

No doubt they had teen appeal but so has every other pop/rock act since the genre was invented. It is the music of youth, after all, even if we keep it a part of our lives as we age.

Bubblegum was four or five years old by the time the Raspberries were a national name. But bubblegum, as its name suggests, was premeditated sweetness produced entirely by studio musicians and writers/producers that nobody ever saw. The Raspberries were, quite obviously, a self-contained four-piece including the songwriting i.e. no different to the Beatles who, let's face it, issued more than their share of empty-calorie confectionery in the early days. A guitar/guitar/bass/drums band was a rare bird indeed in the early 70s when they were sharing charts with Olivia Newton-John, ABBA et al.

Without exaggerating, I don't think I've ever seen the 'corporate rock' term applied to the Raspberries. Quite the contrary - they are usually regarded as boot-strappers who came from an obscure NE Ohio town. And if 'corporate rock' is generally accepted as the kind of bands that dominated FM AOR radio (Kansas, Foreigner, Boston et al) then the Raspberries were, by circumstance or design, largely absent from such playlists i.e. their airplay came on AM hit radio. In other words, it can't be corporate rock and bubblegum simultaneously.

That they didn't appeal to you personally does not invalidate their abilities nor their efforts. In fact, the matching suit thing was, in its own way, a revival or a pi** take of the Beatles (them again).

As for 'corporate behavior,' I defy you to name an act in the 70s that was played on the radio that did not go through nearly identical channels: record label(s), pluggers, A&R men, station owners, DJs, etc. It was a closed shop with payola still alive and well and the 'means of production' (studios, record plants) tightly controlled hence the rather inflated cost of vinyl regardless of the year in question. The 'decay and decline' as you term it was the exact same system that also brought most of the bands you name to prominence, artistic originality notwithstanding. I'm sorry but it's a fallacy to attribute ways and means of doing business to a particular band who were simply playing the game under the same rules as nearly everyone else.

BUK and Gretsch&Vox like this.
  19. Kallie

Kallie Member

The Raspberries

Did tour with The Hollies during the Fall of 1972 in the United States. Both bands had those
    'creamy-smooth' melody-oriented 3-Part harmonies.

It was actually a good mix. But, by November 1972, The Hollies {Management} was getting
    a little concerned about The Raspberries improving stage presence and appeal as an 'opening act'.

They were then removed from the tour.

20. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

My sister has this (!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the OP (e.g. that's me):

Thanks for your comments. I have enjoyed reading them. :)