The Raspberries - Vintage Live - Go All The Way / I Wanna Be With You / Let's Pretend

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jay Filippone, Sep 26, 2015.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Maybe the bar band Raspberries held to your thought, but at that time when they arrived, they were glitz and schmaltz. Sure I was 17 and filled with my ideas of good and bad in the music industry. But it was easy for me to discern. The Raspberries had their heyday more on top 40 AM Radio. If you were into music, you listened to AM only cause the omnipresence of FM radio wasn't. It was rare to see FM in a car up to 72. So I heard them. My biggest dilemma was 3 dog night, they seemed teeny bopper, but I embarrassingly liked them. Incredible vocals and the live at the Forum is evidence of everything for them. Raspberries didn't come close to to 3 dog night except for lady attraction. Acts in the 70's had corporate influence sure, but they didn't control the Doors, CSN, Zepp,Bowie and most of the bigger name act I cared for like they wood the Rasberries or similar type bubble power pop. Now excuse me,I am going to my corner and receipt some Karen Carpenter lyrics. Yeah yeah Yeah , I know, they wee great. Again, for me I resented this fluff type stuff and comparing it to the more sophisticated music like the Beatles, Kinks, Zepp whatever, their praise was unwarranted in comparison, only fluffed by the corporations or producer moguls. If they were boot strappers as you say, they lost that moniker during their first 5 minutes of fame.

Kallie likes this.
  2. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

Led Zep is another band the critics disliked.

BUK likes this.
  3. Kallie

Kallie Member

July 15, 1972

The Raspberries

Rolling Stone {Mike Saunders}

The Raspberries sound like a British Rock Band, but they are a '4-Piece' from Cleveland.

What throws you off, is that this band has the finest burst of 'lightweight' English Rock on
    the music scene today.

Lead Guitarist - Wally Bryson has developed the 'best' 16-Bar Guitar Intro for a Pop-Rock
    Song since the days of the British-Mod Bands {The Who and the Small Faces}.

The song "Go All The Way" looks like it will be an 'Instant Hit', most likely an easy Top 10 choice,
    as it has just been released. Already it is one of the 'most requested' songs at the
    Pop-Rock Radio Stations.

The opening of the song sounds like early Badfinger, and then blends into a combination of
    "Reflections Of My Mind" {The Marmalade}, before returning back to early Badfinger.
    And the 3-Part Harmonies are both perfect and bristling, much like The Hollies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Gretsch&Vox likes this.
  4. Kallie

Kallie Member

The Raspberries

They were a highly-sought after band in early 1972, as they were an extremely popular
    band in Cleveland during 1971.

"Go All The Way"
    Released as a 'single' in July 1972.
    Opened up at #88 Billboard Charts.
    Peaked at #5 on October 7, 1972.
    Stayed n the Billboard Charts for {18 Weeks}, ending on November 4th.

"I Wanna Be With You"
    Released as a 'single' on November 25, 1972
    Opened up at #77 Billboard Charts
    Peaked at #18 on January 27, 1973
    Stayed on the Billboard Charts for {12 Weeks}, ending on February 3, 1973

Jim Bonfanti >

They {Capitol Records} set us up to go on Tour and open up for 'The Hollies' for
    the early-Fall of 1972. 'The Hollies' were riding high with a 'resurgence', due to
    their hit "Long Cool Woman" which had reached all the way up to #2 Billboard Charts.

We thought that it would be a great mix, as we really respected their style with
    the 3-Part Harmonies. They had some great songs with fantastic hooks, and they
    had a bunch of catchy melodies that the audience could sing to.

Well, just before we went on Tour with them >

Herb Belkin {Vice President ~ Capitol Records} calls a meeting with us, and he tells us.

"Now don't you to go out there and play 'Patty-Cake' in these shows. What I want,
    is for you to go out there and blow them 'off-the-stage'. I want you to obliterate them."

Well, we only had 40-Minutes {as an opening-act}. So in the shows we came out blazing
    like a Top Fuel Dragster. We didn't waste any time with 'fluff songs'. It was fast
    Rock-n-Roll.

At the end of our set, the kids were always going crazy asking for more.

They always wanted an 'encore'. Well after about 5-Shows, this wasn't making
    the management team of 'The Hollies' happy.

They wanted us to 'tone it-down'.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  5. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Terry Sylvester of The Hollies tells a much different story about that tour...
    He said The Rs were tossed from the tour because because there were complaints about the 'Rs' not 'producing'
    Sounds like 'sour grapes' about the Raspberries...

The Raspberries were removed from the tour and replaced w/ Billy Preston as opener in Santa Monica ..I read somewhere that whole bunch of people came to hear Billy, and left after he finished his set leaving the venue only about 40% full to see the Hollies...

If this is true, I doubt this would have happened if The Raspberries were still on the tour.

Kallie likes this.
  6. Kallie

Kallie Member

Terry Sylvester was always an 'out-there' sort of guy.

Back in 1972, 'The Raspberries' were getting pretty good responses and high marks at the concert shows.

But, the Music Critics 'panned them' as a corporate-produced and commercially-based Pop Band.

7. Kallie

Kallie Member

1973 Raspberries Rollswagen

'Star Magazine' winner ......... Teene Bouington of Florida.

The Raspberries Rollswagen was presented to her by Drummer - Jim Bonfanti

Teena had voted for Jim Bonfanti as the 'Foxiest' of The Raspberries.

Jim Bonfanti >
    "Yea, I was voted as the 'Foxiest' member of the band out of 31,000 entries. That drove
    Eric Carmen right out of his 'F******' mind. He could never get over it."

"I use to bust his balls about it. I called him the 'ugly one', because he came in last {4th Place}.
    Whenever he gave me a hard time about something, I would just look at him, and say >
    You're just jealous because I'm better looking than you, Mister 4th Place."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Gas-man likes this.
  8. Kallie

Kallie Member

September 26, 1973

Raspberries
    w/opening act ...... Stories

The 'Stories' a local New York early-1960's style Rock-N-Roll band had a Hit Single with
    "Brother Louie"

The Raspberries were supposed to play in New York City back in late-1972, but
    they were 'terminated' from their tour with the English Pop-Rock band 'The Hollies'.

The Raspberries played tougher than their name indicated. While not a Heavy Rock
    Band, they could be labeled as a 'Happy Rock Band', as they do perform well
    and keep their audience happy with up-beat tempo songs which sound like the
    early Beatles and the Beach Boys.

Eric Carmen who is the lead vocalist and leader of the band, has both a McCartney-esque
    look and sound, as he sings, plays guitar and plays piano, while backed by a strong
    rhythm section, including good 3-Part harmonies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  9. Kallie

Kallie Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  10. Kallie

Kallie Member

The Raspeberries

Started touring with 'The Grass Roots' in April 1972. It was before their debut album
    was released.

The tour was sponsored by 'Beechnut Gum'. They mostly hit High School Gym's and
    High School Auditorium's.

They poured $50,000 into the Ad Campaign to get 'The Raspberries' some notoriety.

Capitol Records were promoting them as the 'new' Beatles, by way of 'Badfinger'.

By the Fall of 1972, Capitol had a 'massive' Ad Campain going, and had put in $150,000
    more in promoting the band.

Besides touring with The Grass Roots , they also toured with
    * Rare Earth
    * Savoy Brown
    * James Gang ......... yes that is correct
    * Sly and the Family Stone
    * The Doobie Brothers

In a few concerts they were billed in the #2 slot, in this billing.
    * Opening Act ........ Savoy Brown
    #2 ....................... The Raspberries
    Head Liner ............ The Doobie Brothers

The Music Reviews had The Raspberries stealing the shows with a fast-paced
    English-Rock style performance, nailing their songs like a 'skilled surgeon'.

When the headliners {The Doobie Brothers} came on, they were fighting
    an uphill battle, as The Raspberries left the audience drained.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  11. Kallie

Kallie Member

July 9, 1972

'Appreciation Day' .............. Edgewater Park ~ Cleveland, Ohio

James Gang and The Raspberries

[​IMG]

12. soulohio

soulohio Member

man now THAT was Cleveland... a long time ago you were either from the big O ... or wish you were...here

13. Kallie

Kallie Member

The Raspberries

Capitol Records >

They poured a lot of money into promoting the band. That is why The Raspberries
    got labeled as a 'corporate band'.

Over $200,000 was invested in them in 1972.

Jimmy Ienner {Record Producer - Capitol Records} >

I was nominated as the 5th Raspberry. It was my project, and I was putting
    all my effort into making them as big as possible.

Capitol Records wanted a band with a clean-cut image, and to make them an
    American version of 'The Beatles'. A band with an up-beat mid-1960's style
    with clean Rock-N-Roll songs.

There was a massive campaign to promote them. First it was the High School
    Tour with 'The Grass Roots' in early-1972. We got Beechnut Gum to promote
    the tour, and they kicked in $50,000.

Then we stepped it up, and had them open up for some heavier acts. The band
    was hitting on 'all-cylinders', and in only a 40-Minute {7-Song} opening-act,
    they literally kicked ass.

We poured in at least another $150,000 to promote them during 1972. Television
    Shows, promotional events, posters and magazine photo shoots.

By October 1972, "Go All The Way" was a certified hit and chart buster off their debut album.

Then we came back with the 2nd Album {'Fresh'}, and in November 1972 we
    released "I Wanna Be With You", which had 'The Beatles' feel with "Ticket To Ride".

By the end of 1972, they were ready to headline for {5000 to 10,000} in medium
    sized arena's and civic centers.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  14. Kallie

Kallie Member

'The Year of the Raspberries'

Saturday ~ January 13, 1973

Capitol Records announce that they will be offering up a 'Rollswagen Raspberries'
    customized limo as part of a Giveway Contest with 'Star' Magazine.

Also, there will be a contest, where fans {teenage girls} vote for their 'hottest'
    Raspberries band member, which includes a personal visit and 'Star' Magazine
    photo shoot.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday ~ January 19, 1973

The Raspberries will perform {open for} with the English Rock Band 'Badfinger'
    at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

'Badfinger' are the English counterparts of The Raspberries, as both play similar
    music.

The band 'Amazing Blondel' will also be part of the show.

[​IMG]

15. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

On the "Go All the Way" live clip it's cool the way they dive the strings at the end by bowing the guitar necks, something I did with my '63 Firebird I that I foolishly traded back in the 80's.

Mike

16. Kallie

Kallie Member

Wally Bryson

I always prided myself on the fact, that I got a Gibson 'Double-Neck' before Jimmy Page did.

And that my intro to "Go All The Way", is now one of the most talked about 16-Bar 'riffs'
    in the music industry today.

17. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

I still have that 45 with the picture sleeve. Just read Geroge Barris (Batmobile etc) customized the Raspberries Rolls.
    Quadraphonic 8-Track! I'm in heaven.

18. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit®

Could they have gone.... all the way?

19. Kallie

Kallie Member

They were originally called .............. 'The Choir'

20. Kallie

Kallie Member

January 1973

'The Raspberries'

They were so impressive in their performance as the 'Opening Act' for the English Rock Band
    'Badfinger' on January 19th at The Aragon Ballroom in Chicago >

That they were invited to be the 'Showcase Band' at the Music Festival in Cannes, France.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thursday ~ January 25, 1973

The Raspberries played to a crowd of 10,000 at the 'Palais des Festival' in Cannes.