The RAT...a rediscovery

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gkelm, Jul 14, 2006.

1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Got an new pedal and said to myself, "Self, this reminds me of my old Rat." Hadn't pulled it out in years...and I've forgotten how absolutely great that pedal sounds. IMO it hangs right in there with the rest...a true classic. :AOK

Greg

2. sssmile

sssmile Member

how does it compare with the mayo, which is most useful and better sounding? how similiar? alot of crossover?
    thanks

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

The Rat is more distortion oriented (although can get fuzzy if you wind out the gain) while the Mayo is a Big Muff type fuzz.

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Atta Boy!!

[​IMG]

I LOVE RATS!!

[​IMG]

5. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Man . . .
    I've got one identical to the one depicted above on the right. Time to dust her off and try it again. I just dug it out to look at it and was surprised to see that all of my pots were set to the identical positions as those in the picture. Go figure.

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

A friend just lent me three versions, which to me all sounded about the same. I have to admit it is a great pedal when you consider how old it is. It has that open puffy tone of the Keeley SEM/Ultra DS-1, bit with a mid boost which hits the strings just right for fast playing. For me, however, I didn't care for it. The lows seemed a bit soft and flabby and the tone seemed to be covered to some extent by other pedals in my collection (although not all characteristics in one pedal). Also, to me, it didn't play well into a clean channel, and is a high gain pedal best suited for high gain channels for that extra oomph. Just my two cents.

7. what?

what? Member

I've got the non LED RAT from the 80's and solved the flabby bottom by putting a lovepedal twin 60 in front of it. Tasty!

8. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Rediscovery? I've never found a pedal yet that's it's equal and I've got some very expensive boutiques. I rediscover the Rat every time I set it next to any other pedal. Yes, it does have tonal artifacts I don't like, but it makes up for it with that sublime and decadant grind. Congratulations on your rediscovery! :AOK

9. Antero

Antero Member

Here's a RAT question: RAT2 vs. Turbo RAT vs. The Rat?

I tried a friend's RAT2 and it was pretty fun, though I was running clean and it seemed like it would really shine if I had a bit of crunch going.

10. sandman

sandman Member

That rig makes me jealous :drool

How about Rat vs. SCOD?

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

The SCOD (fine pedal) is actually what made me pull out the Rat...something in my tone memory was jiggled by it. Similar depth/dimension and grind, but I prefer the Rat's fuller bottom end.

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I usually run my dirt pedals into and amp that has some breakup going on, even if just a slight edge...so that's generally my context ('75 JMP 50w, FTR37, Colonial).

Here's a run down of Rat history...

http://www.happybob.com/rstrand/rat/rat_versions.htm

My version happens to be the third one down ("small box, no LED")...which I've had since the early 80s. Loved it then, and apparenty I still do. :)

I'd like to try the original version (tone knob)...I've read those are the cat's meow.

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

You know, I didn't try it through my Vibroverb because I'm selling it and don't want to fall in favor of it ... but I can see this being the case. For some reason, I think of it as a LP/Marshall type pedal.

The three I tried where an original '80's Rat, an exact reissue, and "The Rat" in the bigger box. I A/B/C tested them and found no notable differences, although I wasn't searching high and far for the smallest nuance of change. I would say, if I blindfolded the owner of these pedals, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be able to tell me the difference from one to another.

14. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Before I got crazy with pedals I used a Hotcake (medium grind) and a Rat for years and had everything covered. I should go check one out again.

Bob

15. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Cool to see the Rodent's history. Mine is the second down the list, large box with "Filter" instead of tone, 1981 - 1983.

What is "white face"? I'd imagine it would be the silkscreening that would be white with black background, not the other way, right?

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Yes, I believe "white face" is as you say...word "RAT" in black.

17. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

+1 My favorite distortion... need to find another for backup too:AOK

18. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'm going to buy a new "vintage" big box Rat to blind A/B compare to my old Rat. I'll report back to this thread my findings.

19. Coach

Coach Senior Member

Excellent.

20. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

The vintage version was discontinued. The RAT 2 is the same pedal in a different box.