The Ray Price Shuffle

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by AJ Love, Feb 17, 2012.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I was jamming with an older Country musician who said "play it like a Ray Price shuffle"...

Can anyone demonstrate or describe a Ray Price shuffle please? I think I have a general idea but I want to do it right...

thanks!

2. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

3. MartyWilliamson

MartyWilliamson Member

I used to play in traditional country bands and was taught to play chords only on the upbeats during shuffles. The bass player walks on the downbeats and the guitar plays a short chop (staccato) on the upbeats. 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

I always think of it as imitating boogie woogie piano, the bass player is the left hand and the guitar is the right. I use 4 string chords on the treble strings for a lighter sound.

Don't know if this is what your guy wanted but it's cool and it works. And don't forget to swing it.

4. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

This is what a Ray Price shuffle sounds like. You want to accent the chord on every up beat of the quarter note (1 an 2 an 3 an 4 an).

5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

One of the many sayings in the Old school country music language that was essential to understand when gigging with the originals ...

6. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

Get the album "Night Life" on iTunes...title written by Willie Nelson, epic Buddy Emmons C6th pedal steel...and most of the other tracks classic Ray Price shuffles.

7. StanG

StanG Member

There is a great Best of Ray Price on Columbia that has the original recordings.

8. ES350

ES350 Member

It's pretty similar to what's called a 'flat tire' in blues circles...if I never play it again, that'll be fine with me.