The reason band politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I know I've said this before, but I've been in bands for a long time and never run across what I would call vicious politics. But I got out of my way to avoid people who specialize in drama. YMMV

Peace,

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
That's why you need a dictator. I've been in bands with diplomacy and it never works. I think that honestly some folks prefer not to be burdened by the responsibilities of leadership and work better as followers. Sometimes it's the only way anything gets done.

MONSTER ZERO

That's why you need a dictator. I've been in bands with diplomacy and it never works. I think that honestly some folks prefer not to be burdened by the responsibilities of leadership and work better as followers. Sometimes it's the only way anything gets done.
Bingo! There's always bad lingering feelings when one or two are forced into something they don't want to do because they were out-voted.

I know I've said this before, but I've been in bands for a long time and never run across what I would call vicious politics. But I got out of my way to avoid people who specialize in drama. YMMV

Peace,
Yep, makes life in general less stressful.

This is me. I always say, "I'm just the guitar player." I spend my days at work herding cats, it's nice to just focus on the music when I'm playing music.

Last edited:

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think everyone needs a dictator and I've seen plenty of instances where diplomacy (and democracy) works. Obviously it depends on the bands and the people you play with, but I've never saw the need for a dictator in my bands. Most bands I've been in have had someone who books most of the gigs (for example), but decisions have always been collective/shared in some way. And it has worked very well. When I first started gigging it worked because I basically lucked into playing with people who were low drama and mature for their age. Later, I actively sought people like that out. Part of working this way is understanding that you won't always get your way--and some people have trouble coping with that. I avoid those people. Obviously, YMMV.

Bingo! There's always bad lingering feelings when one or two are forced into something they don't want to do because they were out-voted.
I think this occurs in a dictatorship too. The difference is, if you're the dictator you (presumably) don't care.

Peace,

MONSTER ZERO

I don't think everyone needs a dictator and I've seen plenty of instances where diplomacy (and democracy) works. Obviously it depends on the bands and the people you play with, but I've never saw the need for a dictator in my bands. Most bands I've been in have had someone who books most of the gigs (for example), but decisions have always been collective/shared in some way. And it has worked very well. When I first started gigging it worked because I basically lucked into playing with people who were low drama and mature for their age. Later, I actively sought people like that out. Part of working this way is understanding that you won't always get your way--and some people have trouble coping with that. I avoid those people. Obviously, YMMV.

I think this occurs in a dictatorship too. The difference is, if you're the dictator you (presumably) don't care.

Peace,
Not going in. If the assumption coming in is that there is a leader and we do what he/she says then there's less lingering of bad feelings. When you get out voted it sucks and most humans hold grudges for that stuff.

ClassicLP

Whether it is a democracy or a dictatorship, the real trouble is that musicians have trouble spelling things out and operate on assumptions. They do not of take well to questions. They are frequently passive aggressive and generally flaky, dogged by substance issues. Not the best working environment.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I have run into some hurtful stuff. Sensitivities tend to be high to start, as playing music is such a personal endeavor. But the most significant factor to me is when musical shortcomings are leveraged by social ineptness and/or low skill/low confidence on the part of the bandleader. When a band has a leader like that, things can get ugly quick.
MD

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
Not going in. If the assumption coming in is that there is a leader and we do what he/she says then there's less lingering of bad feelings. When you get out voted it sucks and most humans hold grudges for that stuff.
It depends on who you play with. I play with cool people who understand that playing with other people involves compromise and feelings don't get hurt. If you play with people who aren't like that, then that doesn't apply. But I don't play with people who aren't mature/cool enough to understand that.

Peace,

muzishun

Ya I know some great players here locally that sadly i just can't play with, because I know better.

I remember replacing a great bassist with a average player with a great attitude and the band instantly sounded so much better. Not to mention the stage presence.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
In the 70's, I read in a book about Academic Senates in Ivy League colleges. One of the quotes I remember was:

Q: "Why is academic backbiting so vicious?"

A: "Because the stakes are so small."

Trending Topics