The Rebel watts control is a....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tone_Terrific, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

What?
    I scanned the Rebel thread(s) but am still curious.
    Is it a signal limiter post-inverter style? Some genuine power limiter on the output tubes (power scaling-like), real attenuation (post OT) not likely.....what?

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

No one looked inside the Reb, yet?

3. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I heard power scaling.:messedup
    I do not know.:banana

4. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Whatever you call it, what it basically does is just reduce the headroom of the amp rather than reducing the volume.

5. andrekp

andrekp Member

I am utterly amazed at the paucity of actual knowledge about this hot amp. You mean that NOBODY of the (at least) hundreds who bought one has cracked one open yet?

6. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Pretty sure its a line-level flux capacitor.

7. dandythomas

dandythomas Member

I had been wondering about this myself, and found it rather unlikely that it was a true power scaling implementation. I found the following information in a post on Harmony Central from someone called DMB:

"Build quality is really good (I've opened it up to check). The "watts" knob is named misleadingly, since it does not alter the power of the output tubes - it simply varies the bias voltage on the phase inverter, putting the tube into different parts of its transfer curve, so that set to 1W setting it simply compresses more. Similar effect, but if you want true power tube distortion, your best bet is still to use an attenuator."

This makes sense considering what people have been saying about the effect of the settings of that knob. I wish it actually adjusted the voltage of the power tubes instead of the PI.

Andy

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

For the money, this is probably a good solution, although I suspect it is more of a signal governor than a watts control. Of course, less signal creates less power.

9. dandythomas

dandythomas Member

Yeah, I agree that for the price this is a reasonable way to reduce power. It is very similar to the design of the old Seymour Duncan amps that had the power control. However, I don't think it is any better than a good PPIMV, and turning down the watts control will keep you from getting power tube breakup. I think it is being hyped as more than it is, and there seems to be a purposeful lack of information released about it. Again, though, for the price what can you really expect. True power scaling amps cost a lot more than a Rebel.

Andy

10. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

Well now I know.... Thanx guys.