• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

The recent Chameleons Vox tour, The anti-TGP Edition

redchapterjubilee

Supporting Member

Last month we caught the recent Chameleons Vox tour in Austin. The sound was phenomenal. The guitars sounded fantastic, and the two guitar interaction is still first-rate. My crew had a couple of other TGP members in it and we all chuckled about how great both Neil Dwerryhouse's and Chris Oliver's guitars sound when they, as well as Mark Burgess, are all using cheap stock guitars, amps, and pedals. Of course, none of us are using any of those tools either so the joke's on us as well. But still, nice to see a band that continues to have an identifiable sound 30+ years later without a seeming over-regard for gear.

Nevets

That was great! I'd never heard these guys before, will have to check them out further.

Saw something similar on another KEXP performance by Built to Spill. Doug Martsch (who really only has ever played one guitar his whole career) broke a string, and busted out a Squier strat as his backup. He still sounded fantastic.

riker4208

sounds great so far! I missed them here in Portland. I've caught a few of my "must see" 80's acts live recently. I should have gone!

flume

Gold Supporting Member
I'll resist calling it an "80s thing" but with this thread and similar others, I really feel a call to arms for an AntiTGP splinter group to gestate and hatch...maybe start a new sub forum or whatnot for news and sharing info on these bands and especially those still active and even better, new artists that are advancing this guitar-heavy sound (they ARE out there).

This thread got me listening to them again, and i realized they are my favorite "textural guitar" band. Brilliant use of effects, and combining of guitar parts.
I wish i had known they were touring last month...

Last edited:

starfish

Last month we caught the recent Chameleons Vox tour in Austin. The sound was phenomenal. The guitars sounded fantastic, and the two guitar interaction is still first-rate. My crew had a couple of other TGP members in it and we all chuckled about how great both Neil Dwerryhouse's and Chris Oliver's guitars sound when they, as well as Mark Burgess, are all using cheap stock guitars, amps, and pedals. Of course, none of us are using any of those tools either so the joke's on us as well. But still, nice to see a band that continues to have an identifiable sound 30+ years later without a seeming over-regard for gear.
I was at that show at The Parish and agree the sound was great. I'm a longtime Chameleons fan who first saw The Chams in 1987, Mark Burgess solo in 1994 several times, the reunion shows several times in 2002 and ChameleonsVox. Excellent show, I think the best show out of the times I have seen The Chameleons and also Mark Burgess solo in the past. Hearing Script Of The Bridge in its entirety was quite satisfying.

I was so stoked after that show that I bought a Micro-Frets Swinger a couple weeks ago, the guitar Dave Fielding (and also Neil Dwerryhouse) plays. It is sunburst like the original color of Dave Fielding's before he refinished it circa 1985. You can see Dave's and Neil's guitars in this thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ameleons-vox-current-tour-pedalboards.1620661

and this post: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...c-artists-guitar.1238534/page-9#post-20717961

I sure wish Mark comes back again and perhaps we will get What Does Anything Mean? Basically! or Strange Times in full. One can hope! Have you read Mark's book? Great read. I just finished rereading it for the third time since 2008. Highly recommended. How long have you been into The Chameleons?

redchapterjubilee

Supporting Member
I saw them in '02 in Seattle with the very interesting additional percussionist guy and then in '10 or '11 when they played at The Elysium (which was a shock that it was promoted as a Chameleons Vox gig but it was all four of the original guys plus a bass player). The Parish show was the best of the three. It just sounded SOOOOOOO good in there. I need to book a show there some time. This band meant so much to me in high school and beyond. They are an iconic band. The first time I heard Interpol I liked them immediately because they were obviously influenced by the Chameleons twin guitar sound. Same goes for I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness. The semi-gothic/romantic post-punk thing (Chameleons, Comsat Angels, The Sound, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc) is my jam.

I know Mark says he's done with this kind of travel but I've got to think he'll come back out and do it again. Our show was packed, I had friends at the Seattle show and that was packed.

I also have to say that Chris is a super nice guy. His band opened the Elysium show and we talked to him a bit afterwards, and was again super nice after this year's show. I've talked to Mark before (he and I have a mutual friend in Jack Rabid from The Big Takeover) and he's always a very genuine guy.

Stu Cats

Brilliant! "Script of the Bridge" is one of the hidden gems of the 80s. Thanks for posting this.

starfish

I saw them in '02 in Seattle with the very interesting additional percussionist guy and then in '10 or '11 when they played at The Elysium (which was a shock that it was promoted as a Chameleons Vox gig but it was all four of the original guys plus a bass player). The Parish show was the best of the three. It just sounded SOOOOOOO good in there. I need to book a show there some time. This band meant so much to me in high school and beyond. They are an iconic band. The first time I heard Interpol I liked them immediately because they were obviously influenced by the Chameleons twin guitar sound. Same goes for I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness. The semi-gothic/romantic post-punk thing (Chameleons, Comsat Angels, The Sound, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc) is my jam.

I know Mark says he's done with this kind of travel but I've got to think he'll come back out and do it again. Our show was packed, I had friends at the Seattle show and that was packed.

I also have to say that Chris is a super nice guy. His band opened the Elysium show a
nd we talked to him a bit afterwards, and was again super nice after this year's show. I've talked to Mark before (he and I have a mutual friend in Jack Rabid from The Big Takeover) and he's always a very genuine guy.
Small world. I know Jack Rabid too.

I was wondering though, I think you might be mistaken about the tour in 2011 (Austin gig was at The Elysium w/ vids on Youtube). Those were the same two guitarists (Neil Dwerryhouse and Chris Oliver) as this past tour. I don't think Mark has spoken to Dave since the split after the tour in 2002. Neil & Yves were also in The Sons of God when I saw them in 1994. Yves was playing guitar at that time, drums on the most recent tour.

I just started watching the V.I.P. KEXP vid posted at the top of this thread. Wow, Mark's voice was completely blown out. That's too bad. I wonder if he recovered for the evening performance? I'm glad he was back to normal by the following week.

Last edited:

flume

Gold Supporting Member
+1 for another Jack Rabid connection. He's been very supportive and kind to my instrumental trio; Sansyou.
www.sansyoumusic.com.

Probably not that big a surprise we should be finding this connection; the pool of people who care and DO something about spreading quality music is getting thinner all the time and Jack stands tall in it.

redchapterjubilee

Supporting Member
I've been writing for Jack now for nearly 20 years. I had a nice afternoon at his old place in '04 before he got domesticated and moved out to Brooklyn.

And you're right about the Elyisan show. My memory is getting mixed up. But was it Yves on drums too? The drums were set up the way the proper Chameleons drummer set them up I think. I could be wrong on that one too. I do remember that we talked to Chris about that gold SG he was playing (apparently they rented it from a cartage company).

starfish

It was John Lever on drums for the tour in 2011. Yves toured with Mark in 1994 on guitar and this past tour on drums.