The return of an old friend: BJF DRD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Earlier this year I sold my BJF Dyna Red Distortion. Since then, I've had difficulties finding something to fill its spot. Last week I decided to get one again and put up an WTB add in the emporium. Yesterday it arrived. Opening it up I thought it looked very much like the one I had. Finding a picture I had of the old one, it turned out to be the exact same I sold to another TGP member :). I wonder how many TGP member it has visited?? Not that it does matter.

GREAT pedal BTW. My fav distortion. Going through many pedals, I've only ever bought back 2: the DRD and a Timmy :AOK.

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

How's it sound compared to say a Rat pedal?

3. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

No question, the DRD is the best distortion pedal on the market right now...at least in my experience. I've actually never tried out a RAT, but I did own a Landy MO'D (basically a fancier RAT, from what I've heard). The DRD has a much more complex, less artificial tone.

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Very real amp-like tone.. but that describes almost all of Bjourns pedals. Its used for a good medium-high gain Marshall type tone by many, but its kills for low gain and thats how I use it. Its the big brother to the subtle HBOD, imho.

5. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Plus up here on the DRD being one of the best ODs out there...maybe the best!

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Oh yeah, long time DRD fan here.... Okay, long time BJFE fan here!!

7. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I haven't tried the Rat either, but had the Lovekraft Chupacabra, which like the MDO, is based on the Rat. I did find the DRD to be more dynamic and have better note separation (which I find is rather rare for a distortion), and it sounds overall better.

We often spend time discussing if pedals are worth the $, and if cheaper pedals will do the job as well as the more expensive one. I sold the DRD because I thought I could find a cheaper one doing the same. Nope, that wasn't the case. In my book, the BJFs are worth every penny (I had 3, now I have just one, but will start slowly buying back again)

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Ha, too funny! Glad it worked out for us both ways!

9. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks for a smooth transaction Rich :AOK