The Return of the Barber BUSS!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zsno, Dec 2, 2017.

1. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

necro bump.

just ordered my first Barber, direct from them. BUSS here we come !

dumble and marshall sounds in one box? and made in the usa? and on sale for 136 shipped? yeah, ok!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    jpagey and AceBSpankin like this.
  2. Fuzzmasterfl

Fuzzmasterfl Member

I've got mine and loving it. Thanks to this board for helping with the decision to buy... Anyone know the power draw? I'm starting to max out my power supply and need to double up some outputs, so, need to know, and can't find that info anywhere...

vibrostrat43 likes this.
  3. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

The old barber big boxes are 12mA according Mr. Barber. Can't imagine the small ones are that different.

vibrostrat43 and David B like this.
  4. rocknrollshakeup

rocknrollshakeup Member

Argh...Necro post...

I am definitely getting a new GC SR, and I have the CDD V1, and was considering getting a V2 just to have and compare, but now the BUSS has come up on my sonic radar!

Right now I have the CDD V1 on my board on the low gain, low harmonics setting, with the Gain at 11-12 o'clock, so pretty low gain and I way dig it. I then run it into a Greer Lightspeed for higher Plexi type gain. I will use the Lightspeed only for low gain sometimes when I use my Les Paul as the Lightspeed is more mid scooped and I like a clearer tone with "PAFs" at times, kicking on the CDD for more mayhem when needed.

So this set up works great for me using single coils to P90s to my "PAFs".

However....I want to try out the GC instead of the Lightspeed, in the same position - unless it would turn out that the GC stacks into the CDD more effectively. I can then use the BUSS
    for a more Dumble type thing when I feel like it, or possibly replace the CDDV1 with it, using the SS setting.

But, the CDD V2 is still also calling my name!

I'm tempted to go KaRazy and buy the GC SR, the BUSS AND the CDD V2, but would that be a dumb? Especially since I have the CDD V1? Someone please talk some sense into me! HEP ME, someone Please HEP Me :D

scatto likes this.
  5. scatto

scatto Member

Do it! You won't regret it, but if you get sensible and need to trim it back I would say cut out the CDD v2 for now. Adding the GC and BUSS will provide you just about any option you could want.
    Enjoy!

rocknrollshakeup likes this.
  6. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Coming here and asking us to talk you out of buying pedals is equivalent to being a problem drinker and going to the bottle shop and asking for assistance from the attendant to NOT buy some alcohol.

Anyway, my recommendation, having owned the Barber GCX for over a year now, and having owned somewhere in the region of 30-40 ODs and distortions, I can say the GCX is definitely up there with the best I’ve owned and tried. Buy the others and sell any you don’t bond with. I’m sure you’ll get close to your money back.

conanb, scatto and rocknrollshakeup like this.
  7. rocknrollshakeup

rocknrollshakeup Member

Hehe I appreciate the help fellas.

Yes the sensible thing is to just get the GC and the BUSS to start.

And 30-40 ODs, Great Scott! Well with that type of around the block experience I love that you think so highly of the GC! That one is coming home for sure!

I've decided to try the BUSS as well, and...I just sold an early 70s EP3 echoplex so Daddy's going on a spending spree, so I may just get the CDD v2 as well, and after a sonic version of Indian Leg Wrestling the CDD that comes in 2nd best will go on sale...or on a smaller backup pedalboard I'm thinking of doing.

scatto likes this.
  8. dmczern

dmczern Member

Waiting on the BUSS :cool: should arrive Monday.

Seems like a BUSS, DD and GC would cover just about anyone's dirt desires, no??

scatto and David B like this.
  9. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I have a Barber Compact Gain Changer, Direct Drive V1 and Burn Unit EQ.

These are my foundation pedals and they are very articulate.

I am not looking to replace them, they stack well with others.

YMMV

10. DC1

DC1 Member

Have mercy!

Been waitin’ on the Buss all day...

dc

11. Pazz

Pazz Member

The cool thing is when you get it from Barber you can say “I wanna Thank You!”

DC1 likes this.
  12. Nicholas Quek

Nicholas Quek Supporting Member

anyone know what the gain amount difference is between the big box dd and SS side of the BUSS? Looking for a distortion pedal that can hold up against a RAT to pair with my big box DD, hoping the BUSS could fill that role.

13. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

The DD and SS are pretty close when it comes to gain, the SS is based off of the DD.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  14. oxtone

oxtone Member

I see on the Barber website that the BUSS is SOLD OUT.
    Too bad - I would like to have ordered one. Don't know why pedal companies make limited runs
    of something that would be very popular. David has always made great dirt!

15. David B

It was not a popular as you might think, and we have to make 300 minimum. It costs a lot to make them, then take years to sell them, and maybe have to discount them in the end. The BUSS was very well liked, but not selling very strong on the last run. The new DDv3 covers much of what was expected from the SS mode, and people really want a new version of the Burn Unit, so that's what I am working toward. If I had more BUSS PCBs I would have ordered another 50 enclosures, but I really need to buy PCBs 300pcs at a time to get a strong enough discount that I can make a meager living with the profits that are left once we discount them to dealers.

My best advice is to buy stuff while it's available, the BUSS was out for over a year and always was a limited run for the people who had emailed saying "I want an SS compact", or "I want a Burn Unit compact". Don't wait if you see something you like, this is a freakin fickle industry!

16. oxtone

oxtone Member

OK, David! Thanks for the explanation of how your business works. Those of us who are not in it don't have a clue how
    it all works, so I appreciate your sharing about that.

I would be very interested in a smaller enclosure version of the Burn Unit, as I used to have the Burn Unit EQ in the larger version, and regret selling it! I also have a Small Fry, which sounds great. Would a new BU sound similer? I also have a 1/2 Gainer, Gain Changer, and an LTD SR, all of which are very good!

17. David B

I am sorting that out now. I will likely make a very full featured 2 channels version for early next year. I am also considering a compact size version with simplified controls (3 knobs and two toggles), I would likely have 3 dynamics settings on one toggle, and then maybe a a toggle for early (1998-2000) and a modern (Burn Unit EQ/Small Fry) voicing of the Burn Unit. Probably no trim pots on the compact as these are meant to appeal to the "smaller is better, and no trim pots" crowd.

oxtone, Regan, DC1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Nicholas Quek

Nicholas Quek Supporting Member

man that sounds great. will you be updating the exacta fuzz line in any way?

19. David B

The Exacta came out fairly recently, and people seem super happy with them, so no plans to change that any time soon.

20. kstrat62

kstrat62 Supporting Member

I have the same setup except I have a CDD. You can't go wrong with any of those 3!

ThinPaperWings and Daytona57 like this.