• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Reverb Effect: eBay permanently changes fee for guitars + gear to 3.5%

iced_earth

Gold Supporting Member
Just got the email this morning... Obviously Reverb.com has eaten into Ebay's instrument sales quite a bit. Ebay has a larger audience still, and their historical searches are better. I don't sell much so it won't change what I do, but it will be interesting to see if/how Reverb responds.

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
When I have something I want to sell, I would list it both on ebay and reverb.

Of course if it was a fixed price, the ebay price would be higher than the reverb price to help absorb the ebay fees.

If I had anything to sell I would still list it on both platforms. Since the fees are same I would just keep the price the same as well.

J Ritt

Thanks for the heads up! Yes, the price match definitely changes my perspective on whether or not to ever use eBay. I almost never use eBay unless gear just isn't moving elsewhere after a few weeks. The fee structure was just overwhelming, and I only used it as a last resort. The new few structure should definitely open up the reachable audience a bit. I expect the change should put them back in the game a bit. That said, I've had great experiences on Reverb, and I'd certainly rather give them my money for the services they provide, educational material, and the way they cater to gear-heads. Thanks again for the heads up.

danoverb

Hey guys, So I just wanted to chime in here as I figure some of you might be interested in our perspective on this. Obviously, we're aware of this change and it does raise some interesting questions, but fundamentally, imitation is the greatest form of flattery, as they say :)

It's worth noting that as of now, this change, at least from what we've seen, just includes their general Guitar and Bass category -- which is separate from vintage guitars and a slew of other gear categories. Of course, that very well could change to include everything, but at the same time, they've also lowered their fees to match ours in the past and have always reverted pretty soon thereafter.

More importantly though, at Reverb our absolute core motivation has very little to do with ebay and is instead totally guided by building cool technology and features, and offering better service and overall experience than anyone else. Ebay toying with their fees isn't going to change that, and if anything, it's just more motivation to build the best website possible. To that end, if you all have any feedback on what we should build next or how we could be doing better, we always welcome it. Feel free to reply here or DM me anytime. Thanks!

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, So I just wanted to chime in here as I figure some of you might be interested in our perspective on this. Obviously, we're aware of this change and it does raise some interesting questions, but fundamentally, imitation is the greatest form of flattery, as they say :)

It's worth noting that as of now, this change, at least from what we've seen, just includes their general Guitar and Bass category -- which is separate from vintage guitars and a slew of other gear categories. Of course, that very well could change to include everything, but at the same time, they've also lowered their fees to match ours in the past and have always reverted pretty soon thereafter.

More importantly though, at Reverb our absolute core motivation has very little to do with ebay and is instead totally guided by building cool technology and features, and offering better service and overall experience than anyone else. Ebay toying with their fees isn't going to change that, and if anything, it's just more motivation to build the best website possible. To that end, if you all have any feedback on what we should build next or how we could be doing better, we always welcome it. Feel free to reply here or DM me anytime. Thanks!
Great feedback. I appreciate that Reverb is building a music-centric service, has entertaining videos and editorial content, is clearly built by musicians, and as a digital product designer myself, I appreciate that you continually update your products with great features, UX fixes, and clearly pay attention to how people are using your service.

hackenfort

I've been getting promotions on eBay for the last year, from 2% final value to a flat $20 per item.

Seems many here are negative on eBay, but in general I have better luck selling on eBay.

I sold a guitar on ebay a few months ago. Hadn't sold one there in years, and the last time I did their fees were mainly based on the ad options. Anyways, at that time, the fees ended up being like $20 for a $1k guitar sale, so I assumed this time it would be approximately the same (didn't check, my bad). Then I got the bill for the latest sale and saw it was 10%. 10 f*$%ing percent. There was no way I was going to sell another guitar on ebay again. This however, might change that.

I've never sold on Reverb, but might try the next time I need to sell something. I am wary though, about the seller bearing the vast bulk of the risk there.

COYS

I appreciate Reverb and will be sticking with it. ebay reducing fees might be nice, competition is always good, but with Reverb I know I can sell with confidence that Reverb might side with the seller if the seller is in the right, and because I am not willing to do business through PayPal at this time.

I'm not a large seller or anything, just a guy who trades gear a lot, but I still very much prefer the Reverb environment. The website is user-friendly and built specific to music gear, you don't need to wade through a lot of foreign listings, their articles and other content are very nice.

Keep working ebay, keep your fees low permanently rather than just for a short time. But I think you'll need to solve the Paypal problem if you really want to compete again.

TheWayfarer84

Silver Supporting Member
Reverb is a more musician oriented site, and I appreciate that, but for the same fee I'll list on eBay again. At the end of the day, I just want to unload gear in the least amount of time, for the maximum net amount.

I'm curious how bad eBay's numbers are down in music gear for them to have to cut their fees by more than half to entice musicians to come back.

Chad

I pretty much quit selling on Ebay when they went to 10%. I will no doubt start selling again at 3.5%. Haven't tried Reverb, but probably need to give it a whirl.

Trending Topics