• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Reverb Effect: eBay permanently changes fee for guitars + gear to 3.5%

COYS

One of the things I like the most about Reverb is the lack of auctions. Here's the price, make an offer if you want. If I want to buy something on Reverb, I can always Buy It Now. eBay is indeed, a dinosaur.
I like that too. If I want something, I can buy now, I don't have to wait for the auction to end, monitor it constantly, get sniped at the last moment, etc.

And for a seller, you can totally control what price you get for a piece of gear. You're not left waiting and wondering. Sure you could do a reserve auction, but what's the point when you could just take offers?

I don't think auctions would be good for Reverb, because it will ruin the ease and simplicity for everyone of "Here's the price" or "Here's what I'm asking, but make me an offer"

danoverb

They do it all the time with artists. Probably once or twice a month. I've bought studio gear and guitars from some larger name folks, all at great deals.
Yup -- lots more artist shops in the work. Can't confirm anything specific, but I think you'll all be impressed with some of the artists we're working with for the next year or so.

Faded

Yup -- lots more artist shops in the work. Can't confirm anything specific, but I think you'll all be impressed with some of the artists we're working with for the next year or so.
Awesome. I always make it a point to check out the artist sales, in fact I bought my now favorite guitar from the recent Ray Lamontagne shop. I have always appreciated the extra stuff Reverb does to make it's platform an easy to navigate place for gear research, knowledge and for finding and learning about unique gear. Keep it up!

Jay K

As long as we are making suggestions to Reverb in this thread, I am a bit confused about the feedback policies on the site. Am I correct that if I give a seller negative feedback but the seller has not yet given me feedback, the seller can retaliate by giving me negative feedback? I have refrained from giving negative feedback a few times for this reason, but perhaps there are safeguards against this I am unaware of.

It should also be noted if indeed the above is the case, it creates a "who first" problem in that some sellers will wait until a buyer gives feedback before posting theirs and vice versa.

What I would like to see to encourage honest feedback is the following. Seller and buyer feedback is not posted on the website until one of the following occurs : (1) both the buyer and seller have already entered their feedback (and no longer can modify it) so no retaliation can occur, or (2) a feedback time window (let's say 20 or 30 days from delivery) has elapsed after which feedback is no longer accepted; if either the seller or buyer has entered their feedback during the specified time window it is then published on the site with the party who has failed to enter feedback during the feedback time window precluded from doing so.

Last edited:

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
I use both, I dislike eBay but they have a larger audience and a money talks bullsh!t walks approach with the BIN requiring immediate payment. Honestly I think most my stuff sells here on TGP quicker than anywhere else. 9/10 times when I end a Reverb listing it's because it sold here.

My biggest complaint about Reverb compared to eBay is eBay has a much better search engine. Searching with exclusion terms like I want to see ESP but not LTD I can just add -(LTD) and they all disappear. Very simple. I asked Reverb about it once and they told me to use the check boxes on the left to select ESP and not LTD but it doesn't matter because that's based off the category and they all list their LTD's as ESP anyway. eBay's exclusion is based on keyword so if their listing says LTD by ESP it'll still get filtered out. I just searched Reverb for an ESP Viper and selected ESP only and not LTD and the first page loaded 28 listings - 24 of which were LTD, what a waste of time.

And eBay's completed listing searches are very helpful for price setting.

Also I don't understand people complaining about gear they sold being flipped for more money, don't sell so low next time. It's your own fault, and their business to do so.

Last edited:

sgt_steiner

The Reverb experience, interface and community is so far superior to eBay I've stopped listing there altogether - and I've been a member since 1999. Simply trying to match fees with Reverb is a desperate last gasp IMHO. It won't wipe away the nearly 20 years of poor treatment of its sellers and the absurd fees that went with that. The eBay "brand" does not bring smiles to buyers' and sellers' faces, and any ideas of "loyalty" to them is completely absurd. It's always been an entirely mercenary exchange and every day using the Bay was a stinging reminder of that.

Additionally, I'm not so sure they actually have more eyeballs on their guitar gear anymore (perhaps in foreign markets, but I don't ship internationally, so it's not a factor for me). People serious about their gear have migrated to Reverb a long time ago.

Bottom line, Reverb has built a better mousetrap - created for gearheads, by gearheads. THE VIBE IS 1000 TIMES BETTER and you feel good about using it. eBay can NEVER improve on that, lower fees or not.

Last edited:

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, So I just wanted to chime in here as I figure some of you might be interested in our perspective on this. Obviously, we're aware of this change and it does raise some interesting questions, but fundamentally, imitation is the greatest form of flattery, as they say :)

It's worth noting that as of now, this change, at least from what we've seen, just includes their general Guitar and Bass category -- which is separate from vintage guitars and a slew of other gear categories. Of course, that very well could change to include everything, but at the same time, they've also lowered their fees to match ours in the past and have always reverted pretty soon thereafter.

More importantly though, at Reverb our absolute core motivation has very little to do with ebay and is instead totally guided by building cool technology and features, and offering better service and overall experience than anyone else. Ebay toying with their fees isn't going to change that, and if anything, it's just more motivation to build the best website possible. To that end, if you all have any feedback on what we should build next or how we could be doing better, we always welcome it. Feel free to reply here or DM me anytime. Thanks!
I have been using reverb as of late. It works well but could use a few tweaks.

For selling I stopped using the offer option. People were making offers that I would accept, then not paying. There was no way to leave negative feedback.

For buying if find it annoying that the next page has some of the same guitars as the previous page. Also, it sucks you can check sold items. This causes me to still visit eBay. This is bad for your business.

It seems like a lot of the items listed for sale on reverb are drastically over priced. Not sure why.

Vibroluxman

It seems like a lot of the items listed for sale on reverb are drastically over priced. Not sure why.
Because there's one born every minute and you can't search prior sales well. Thus people go for the highest $$ amount possible when a finished sales search would bring some down to earth.

AlanH

Do the new 3.5% fees apply to eBay.co.uk?

P.S. I hate the fact that you can't prevent a bid winner from using PayPal over cash. Those fees are also excessive.

I've never used Reverb. Is it an international site and, if so, can prospective buyers search by country?

Well, to answer my own question about the 3.5% fee the UK eBay site makes no mention of special rates for musical instruments anywhere. They only have special rates for cars and motorcycles. So it's still 10% for UK eBay.

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
Too little, too late eBay. Plus Reverb's customer support is much better.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I just sold a guitar on Reverb this past week and shipped it out. Seamless process.

Other than the amount of time it took and the price it ultimately sold for--neither of which are Reverb's fault--it was a great experience.

When we get back from vaca in August, I will cue up the next guitar to sell. Between the Emporium here and Reverb, I don't see going back to Ebay anytime soon.

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
Just a heads up, if you did get a sale off Ebay from a listing started before the 5-16-2017 fee reduction, Ebay's system is still billing fees at 10%.

Sold a 2k + guitar and got hit for 10%. Called - after a very long hold, and then a rep putting me on several more long holds, they are adjusting my bill.

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
You know, I've been seeing this request a lot just browsing around the forums today and it's something we discuss periodically, but I'm going to see if we can't make it a reality sooner rather than later. No promises, but stay tuned!
All you have to do is add a selection to include &showsold=true in the search string.

eBay still sucks, and I can't stand the double -dip PayPal scheme, but 3.5% is much better, lets see how long it lasts.
Ebay will have to give a significantly better payout than reverb to start poaching users or reverb.
Ebay is a hassle, clunky, has vague rules when compared to reverb.
I hope it croaks and a new online auction system pops up.

TeleFromHelly

Smart of them will increase sales volume which is good for us as well, more inventory and less overhead for the seller reducing prices. The fee change was the push I needed to sell the Mayer strat I've been putting off (glad I did!)

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder why I didn't get any emails from ebay about the fee structure. I'm a seller there although it has been a long while. One thing I didn't like about them was the sliding scale fee structure they had. At the end of a sale, I want to know what I'll have in my pocket before i do a thing. ebay's byzantine fee structure, plus paypal's made it a waiting game for the final deposit to tell me what I got. I asked ebay customer disservice for some help and they threatened to close my account because 'the buyer determines how much you get, not you.' Which is complete ********. I have a minimum I will separate from my goods with and it isn't the final auction price less fees. I want to know what reserve gets me what I want and if it doesn't reach that amount, it gets relisted. The customer disservice monkeys at ebay got mad at me and started flinging poo. So ebay's solution was to charge an usurious 10%. Nope. not happening. not falling for any switch and bait fee reduction either. They are too big and greedy to trust. I'll sell my stuff on Reverb (and here) thank you very much.

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
A few weeks ago I caught the $20 max final value fee promotion and sold my RR Jackson for $3200. Not a bad commission for me to have to pay. 3.5% is very fair but I think to get that rate you must open an ebay store which can be bought per month.

guitz

Well, I can personally attest to one thing they failed to mention when they had me all excited that the fee dropped to 3.5%....It appears they have now 'front loaded' the listing fee. What once was about a buck and change to list a guitar is now $19.00 for a guitar listed around $450! I don't know if they've hidden any other fees at the end of the auction other than the 'final valuation' fee of 3.5% ...not sure if this will pretty much still be the equivalent of paying roughly the same amount you would have before the final valuation drop to 3.5% after it's all said and done , but kind of sux they didn't divulge that you would be paying MUCH more to list it now..I think the actual number varies for the price you list it for but it does appear it now is way higher.

Trending Topics