The Rides: "Pierced Arrow" Stephen Stills Kenny Wayne Shepherd Barry Goldberg...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GrungeMan, May 10, 2016.

1. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    The Rides are Stephen Stills Kenny Wayne Shepherd Barry Goldberg Kevin McCormick and Chris Layton. They just released their sophomore album Pierced Arrow, it's a bluesy funky soulful rocker offering with lots of tasty guitar from Stills and Shepherd, keys from Goldberg, great rhythm grooves from McCormick and Layton, Stills' voice is in good form. Eight original co-written tracks by the band members, one redone "oldie" from Goldberg and a cover of Willie Dixon's My Babe. Check it out it's a great listenable album!

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    MORE BARN likes this.
  2. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up. Heavy blues, and some fine musicianship.

GrungeMan likes this.
  3. GrungeMan

Yer welcome. Any one else gives this gem a listen?

4. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up! I'm checking them out on youtube right now. Must be such a treat for KWS to be in a band with Layton

GrungeMan likes this.
  5. GrungeMan

Yes Hah! that would be two bands with Layton, the bassist Kevin McCormick is from Jackson Browne, CSN...Whattaya think, got yer foot tappin?

6. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Anything from the CSN/Y family I'm going to check out as they were my first music love...them & Neil.

Huge Stills fan here

GrungeMan likes this.
  7. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

I really dig it . I appreciate when a band can go for an "older" sound but still sound fresh and original. Its certainly on my list of albums to buy :beer

marktweedy and GrungeMan like this.
  8. GrungeMan

Throwing some young blood(KWS) into the mix seemed to rejuvenate the old dogs Stills and Goldberg!

marktweedy and aynirar27 like this.
  9. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Saw them on TV one night on PBS. KWS was very good, I remember him from years ago and the whole vibe wannabe SRV thing turned me off. Well seems to have found himself , rather then trying to ape others and was a very pleasant surprise. Stills was really shrill and playing boxes not lines or licks: just awful, it breaks my heart to say that but was really disappointed. The day I was more impressed by KWS the Stills, Hell must of frozen solid. Hope that was a bad night or something else

10. GrungeMan

A few years ago Stills was dealing with severe hearing impairement so much so that his speech was/is garbled and his tone was shrill because of it, now with improved hearing aids his tone and speech vocals has improved. Have you listened to the two releases "Can't Get Enough" and "Pierced Arrow" by The Rides?

11. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

If so, that's AWESOME! I've loved Stills since Buffalo-Springfield. I've seen him live, several times, in several group settings. The last couple of times (the latest was with CSN, a couple of years ago), it was really disappointing. He was strutting like a guitar hero, overplaying, with terribly shrill tone. His vocals were slurred and flat.

He's been talking about making a blues album for decades. While I wouldn't really call The Rides' albums "blues", I like some of their stuff (especially the ones that sound like CSN outtakes). I won't be sold, entirely, until they write some better songs, however.

12. GrungeMan

That's what I thought was so. refreshing about it, to me none of it sounded like CSN. :D

13. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

Couldn't find much on youtube, just found a documentary. The music sounds great.
    At first I found a band called Pierced Arrows doing a song called "Let It Rain". Sounded like a dry heave put to music! :barf

GrungeMan likes this.
  14. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I'll buy it. I liked their first album. They're touring, but the ticket prices are astronomical, IMO.

GrungeMan likes this.
  15. JGD5150

JGD5150 Member

Love KWS. Saw him opening for VH last summer and he was great.

GrungeMan likes this.
  16. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Not really paid attention to them as my 1st exposure was not really impressive. You know 1 chance to make a good impression. Interesting about Stills, heard him on the radio and thought he's had a small stroke.

17. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Their new album is fantastic. Obviously all very talented musicians. But, yeah, the tix are a bit much.

Here they didn't appear to be able to sell enough tickets for a theater so they moved to BB King's Blues Club - a restaurant/bar scene. Tickets for standing at the bar were $58 + fees =~ $75. Seats at tables were $125 plus another $20 minimum order in food/drink per person.

Couldn't go on principle.

mojocaster.com likes this.
  18. loudboy

loudboy Member

They were on PBS "Front and Center" for an hour, last fall. I felt bad for Stills. The others were OK, but it did nothing for me.

19. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Of course, they've already passed through our area. I just couldn't justify the cost. I would have gone if I could have gotten away for $50 or so. Oh well.

20. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

From what i've listened to I am not all that excited. Maybe with all those names I expected more.
    This said I'll give it at least one more listen to be on the sure side.