The Right Delay Is a Sigh of Relief (Bomes Ape)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ari, May 8, 2015.

1. ari

ari Member

Still in my honeymoon period here as I just got it 4-5 days ago, but every day I come back to it and like the sound even more. My previous delay pedal was EHX Stereo Memory Man, which is not a bad pedal by any stretch -- but the combination of its quirky user interface and not-quite-for-me tone meant that I never turned the pedal on. I just didn't feel like to, unless I absolutely needed a delay.

Ape has a lot more pronounced tape emulation than I had heard in the few demos out there -- I thought it was more just tape-isn voiced digital delay (which was what I wanted -- pedals that really try to be accurate have always struck me as distracting/over-the-top) but it has more of that degradation thing happening with each repeat. The moderation to me is unusable, the tape warble effect is way too pronounced even with the tiniest amount.

But as far as the basic delay tone -- set the tone to darkish place and it's a sigh of relief. It really reminds me of the basic tone of Damage Control Timeline, again in tape-isn setting. I loved that sound and I kept missing it as I moved from Strymon Timeline to EHX (after trying likes of TC Electronic in-store). I guess I need my delays to come in a big enclosure. ;)

My delay journey has been a bit unpredictable -- I thought I'd dig and use more feature-rich delays but I didn't have any desire to touch them once I had them in my house. I just needed the right tone and tap-tempo for easy setting of time. But most basic delays aren't tweakable tone-wise so it's just the matter of gong through them to see which one sounds right. I knew I wasn't into analog (DM2 or DMM) delays nor serious tape emulators, and in-between there aren't that many pedals that cover a middle ground of nice, characterful digital delay.

But it looks like Bomes will occupy the spot going forward. I have Diamond and T-Rex delays in my queue at PedalGenie so we'll see how they fare.

ari

2. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Bumping this thread to ask how is the modulation on this pedal? Not many clips showing if it can be subtle. Thinking of picking this up looks like a great pedal!
    Kurt

3. jtbleeker

jtbleeker Member

one of the best players I know uses the ape and the capistan and I've never heard a setting that wasn't tasteful and useful

4. ari

ari Member

When I demoed it I did briefly set the modulation to subtle. You'll have to listen with good headphones or speakers to really hear the modulation. I set the video to start in the middle when I have the modulation up quite a bit, then in a few seconds I dial it down.

5. Phopper

Phopper Member

Do you notice any tone suck? When I plug it in straight to an amp I get some pretty bad tone loss. It's not till I put a pedal like the BigSky after it where my tone comes back. What's weird is even with the BigSky set to true bypass it still retains my tone. Not sure what that means.

6. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

strange this is good to know I don't want any tone loss!

7. ari

ari Member

I didn't notice any tone sucking with mine.