the roland micro cube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by monkmiles, Apr 13, 2008.

1. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Picked up a used Roland Micro Cube locally off craigslist. I have to say I think it's fantastic for a home practice amp (with or without headphones).

I knew what I was getting into cause I had a Cube 30 already. But I wanted something smaller I could leave in the living room and easily grab anywhere that I would mostly use with headphones. Being able to line in other audio (like from your computer or something) is great for practice too.

The thing I like about the Micro Cubes compared to some other modelling practice/headphone amps is they have a couple real good clean tones. These days I'm mostly playing clean. Between the blackface and jc models, they both sound great. Some of these other small modelling headphone amps concentrate on the distorted models. Some only have one clean model and sometimes it doesn't stay clean at louder volumes.

So far, my favorite small practice amp that's headphone capable .

2. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

+1. I've had mine for a while now and it's totally useful for me as a practice tool. I love it.

3. crifasta

crifasta Gold Supporting Member

I was trying out a PRS yesterday and when the salesperson asked what amp I wanted to plug into I said something crunchy. He told me I had to try out this Roland Micro Cube. I thought he was nuts but went along with it. I was blown away - nice Marshall-like crunch and sustain and the effects were pretty good too. I couldn't believe it was coming out of such a tiny (and battery powered) amp. Definitely worth checking out for a portable practice amp.

4. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I have one... they are awesome. Throw it in your suitcase on the road for hotel rooms!

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Mine sits by my bed ready to jam myself to sleep. Great practice amp with some serious tone out of it. I've actually cut some tracks and demos with it.

Although,

I have my eye on the new RX model out...

6. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

It's really a cool amp, I use mine in the garden while I'm overlooking my kids playing :)
    the Vox model is really cool as well for mildly overdriven tones.
    The only bummer is the speaker farting out badly on some lower frequencies, I haven't found any replacement yet.

7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I've had one for a couple years. I actually took it once on a plane in my carryon bag and brought a Nashville tele. I used it a a club in NC miked with an SM57 thru a 3000 watt PA with a good monitor mix and that thing sounded great, I also had a distortion pedal since the amp does not channel switch. The other guy used a Marshall half stack and mine kicked it.