The Rolling Stones are going to Cuba. I wonder how they rehearse...

2HBStrat

I wonder if the Stones use a non band member musical director to rehearse the supplemental musicians before the band comes in....

Yer Blues

Do you think they really rehearse much at this point? Maybe for the start of a tour the rent out a huge space for a week with the stage setup and run through the show over the course of the week, but I can't imagine them getting together in between dates.

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
Chuck Leavell keeps everyone up to scratch, but at this point they are such a well oiled machine that not a lot of rehearsal is needed.
The only woodshedding that's done is when they bring a new or seldom played song into the rotation.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
They've been on tour for a while now. It isn't like Cuba is a one-off show.

In my country, you don't rehearse music. Music rehearses you!

John C

Gold Supporting Member
I think the only local musicians would be the choir they use for the first encore - "You Can't Always Get What You Want". I suspect they could do that at a soundcheck, but I also imagine they've got a day or two for sightseeing so they could rehearse with the choir ahead of time. As others have said the rest of the supplemental musicians have been out with them for about a year now.

27sauce

Do you think they really rehearse much at this point? Maybe for the start of a tour the rent out a huge space for a week with the stage setup and run through the show over the course of the week, but I can't imagine them getting together in between dates.
They have in the past. One of the last times I saw them Dave Matthews opened and he did Memory Motel with them. I had some buddies that worked at the hotel where they stayed and they used one of suite/conference rooms, ran that song with him and a couple of others. Small PA, low volume...that would be cool to see.

2HBStrat

I have read about the Stones, after some of their long layoffs, having extensive rehearsals, even having to relearn some of their songs. I would imagine Chuck Leavell gets everybody (don't they use supplemental guitarists, too?) up to speed before the main band shows up......

Yer Blues

They have in the past. One of the last times I saw them Dave Matthews opened and he did Memory Motel with them. I had some buddies that worked at the hotel where they stayed and they used one of suite/conference rooms, ran that song with him and a couple of others. Small PA, low volume...that would be cool to see.
Yeah... I like watching that kind of stuff on youtube. I saw one a couple days ago of the singer from Godsmack rehearsing Sad But True with James. Godsmack guy was singing the harmonies and james

Godsmack guy: I'm your dreaaum.
James: No... it's I'm your dreauuum.
Godmack guy: I'm your dreaauuum.
James: No.... dreauuum.
Rinse and repeat

Reminded me of Spinal Tap. :)

spunky

Well....as has been said...the only people they use that would be considered supplemental, are the choirs...and they are usually from a local church... and they very well might be able to read a chart put in front of them....when doing You Can't..... They do not use supplemental guitar players....that's a ridiculous rumor that should be put to rest.
They just arrived in Cuba yesterday....so, not much time, if they did want to rehearse. And yeah, it's not a one off....they've been touring S. America this last month.

gmann

I have read about the Stones, after some of their long layoffs, having extensive rehearsals, even having to relearn some of their songs. I would imagine Chuck Leavell gets everybody (don't they use supplemental guitarists, too?) up to speed before the main band shows up......
No supplemental guitarists. Mick plays on several songs depending on what they're doing. Blondie Chaplin, one of the backup singers and a fine guitar player, has played acoustic with them in the past.

Trending Topics