The rule of 2: Could you do it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ckyrost, Jun 3, 2019.

Can you do it?

This poll will close on Jul 29, 2019 at 12:20 PM.
  1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member Supporting Member

Since I only own two, I’m pretty sure I can do it ;)

I’ve got an American Strat and a Gibson 335 with a Dusenberg trem installed on it. I want a LP, but feel no need. They’ve been my only guitars for a long while now.

darth_tar, Rogan1990 and ckyrost like this.
  2. ckyrost

ckyrost Member

Just a thought experiment. Can people see themsleves being confined to just 2 guitars? Maybe some here already have their favorite 2 and can confidently say yes. Others might enjoy rotating between different guitars. Im also sure more than a few here at TGP enjoy the whole process of researching, trying and purchasing new guitars as much as the instrument itself.

So in short, I was bored and wanted to know if people here can see themselves self- regulating guitar purchases. Im not actually advocating either opinion.

3. Rogan1990

Rogan1990 Member

I only have 3 guitars; 2 electrics and 1 acoustic.

I like this number. 2 would be do-able, but I'd probably just get rid of the acoustic.

I would probably trade my Les Paul and the acoustic for a 335 or 339 if I had to go down to 2 - good choices

ckyrost likes this.
  4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

For gigging 2 is fine. A Super strat and a tele. Done.

At home I want a minimum of 5 guitars.

1 acoustic
    1 Strat
    1 Tele
    1 shorter scale Dual HB
    1 electric bass for recording

I'd love to add: a 12 string, a 335, a baritone, dobro, something with p90's, something with filtertrons, etc

beanbass and ckyrost like this.
  5. HughesP

HughesP Member

I have never been a collector, so I probably could, if I was really determined, but for practical reasons I've generally needed 4.

2 electrics - just to have a backup. Most of my professional gigs are electric, so if we are just talking electric guitars, I have pretty much followed the rule of two for most of my playing life.

However, I generally need to have an acoustic for church, campfires, kids music (I'm an elementary music teacher by day), etc.

Likewise, I spent a number of years studying classical guitar, so I need to have one of those for the odd time that I do classical...

I find the acoustic, and especially the classical, so fundamentally different that my electric guitars, and the way that I play and what I use them for is so fundamentally that I feel like they are different instruments. And since you seem to only be talking about electrics, I think I'm good!

Let's think my history over...

1994 I bought my first electric - a vantage strat copy.
    2000 I bought my 2nd electric - a Les Paul Studio.
    2002 I bought a MIM Fender Strat and sold the vantage.
    2004 I bought a 72 Custom telecaster and sold the les Paul.
    2006 I bought an ES-333 and sold the Mexican Strat.
    2009 my telecaster was stolen at a gig. Bought an Eastwood Sidejack.

So for 15 years I totally followed the rules!

Broke the rules though in 2012 and bought an SG Standard P90 and sold the Sidejack. Had I had the money for one of these in 2009, I would have kept my streak... but I needed a solid body after my telecaster was stolen for gigs (my gigs literally paid my way through university) so at the time I only had like $300 that I could actually afford.

Broke the rules again in 2016 when, for the first time since I started playing, I bought a 3rd electric guitar - a custom shop nocaster. This, again, was a bucket list item, and had the funds been available, I would have bought it in the mid 2000s and either had it replace the 72 custom tele - which would probably have resulted in me staying within the rules for my entire playing career thus far...

I've been contemplating getting back to your "rule of 2" though, and selling both my ES-333 and SG in place of a good ES-330. If I do that, I'd be back to 2 guitars, and I'd be selling the older purchases, not the most recent.

ckyrost likes this.
  6. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

7. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

not and stay employed. I need options for clients.

ckyrost likes this.
  8. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

I'm actually down to 2 guitars as of this weekend.

ckyrost likes this.
  9. KevWind

KevWind Member

I am not a collector, but I have 4 all that I gig with, ( but not necessarily all at the same gig )

ckyrost likes this.
  10. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Supporting Member

I’ve got 4 electrics right now - 1 that’s been for sale for a few months and 1 that I have a “hot and cold” relationship with.

If I had to I could comfortably pair down to my 2 Hamer Artists and call it a day. Between P90s and humbuckers I have enough variation to make it work.

I’m oddly at a point where buying and selling had lost its luster and I just enjoy playing what I’ve got.

ckyrost likes this.
  11. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I'm doing it now! I have an old Mexican Fender Strat that was my first guitar ever, and virtually worthless. And a 90's PRS McCarty that is the only guitar that feels right in my hands. I could even cut it down to one and get rid of the Fender.

Now amps on the other hand... that's where things get crazy.

ckyrost likes this.
  12. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Easily. Can live with one, and have. Can live with 10, and have. Could I live with one cheapie? Sure. When I have to do something, I do it. I know what it's like to have little to nothing, so I'll never tie myself to what I own. I love playing music way more than I love owning guitars, though I have some real beauts by now.

ckyrost likes this.
  13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've generally been happy with no more than two all the time.

Per the rules I can buy a guitar, but I have absolutely no intention of selling my Heritage Prospect.

ckyrost likes this.
  14. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Dead easy if you're only thinking of conventional electrics, inconvenient but not that bad if you include lap steels. The argument here is that I could convert either of the two to lap steel if need be.

ckyrost likes this.
  15. DGA

DGA Member

I already have both kinds of guitars - a strat and a tele.

ckyrost likes this.
  16. WineCaster

WineCaster Supporting Member

One Tele and one Les Paul. It’s the way of life.

walterw, a_ribbon and ckyrost like this.
  17. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I've been doing something similar for the last 8 years or so. I have one electric, one acoustic, and a bass. If I want to get something new, I sell, trade, or give something away first.

ckyrost likes this.
  18. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

Sorry I already have a rule of my own. Must have at least 3 of each kind. Luckily for me I only like Strats,LP's and Teles.:D:D:D

ckyrost likes this.
  19. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

I only had 2 for a long time, 1996-2014. I ended up with 6 total between 2015 and now. Mostly because I have two guitars designated for band (odder tunings). One is my oldest and I will keep, one is my 'dream' guitar, one is my first LP, and one I tried to sell, and couldn't get what I wanted so it was better to keep than 'throw away'. So I 'could' do this just fine, but I wouldn't want to.

20. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

This seems to be a popular topic. Haven't we had at least a few other identical threads in the past month?