• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The saddest Gibson J-29 you will ever see. FedEx content...

Kriso77

Silver Supporting Member
Warning: This post is not a happy one. I had an interesting time with FedEx over the last few weeks. I shipped out my Gibson J-29 to a TPG member for a trade and it didn't quite get there in the condition I shipped it. I sent it at the height of holiday deliveries, and my only guess is that this was at the bottom of a very heavy pile of boxes.

Thankfully, it was insured and a check is in the mail. The box was well packed and secured. Definitely not my first rodeo with shipping. I was expecting more of a fight, but FedEx is paying the claim.

The question now is what to do with this thing. I haven't taken it to a luthier, but I don't think I want to put the money in trying to repair it. So, do I sell it on the cheap? Donate it to science? Trash it? Not sure what the move is based on the damage.

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

MattC

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry about your guitar :(. I've had incredible luck with my private shipping transactions (knock on wood), but every time I do a private deal online I'm nervous as hell until the guitar or amp arrives safely. Glad they at least aren't fighting you on the insurance. It's not that easy to get those claims paid.

Papanate

If you wanted to be adventurous....use the guitar
to learn how to repair - possibly ask a real luthier
if they would be willing to help you learn (which might
cost you more than just repairing it yourself!).

Of just bring it to Gruhn Guitars or someone you 100% trust.
It's completely restorable.

Or...one last piece of advice - Do not pay more than 15% up front.
Get the schedule of repair in a written contract - put all your expectations
in clear statements - and get a signature on a contract that clearly states
what the luthier will repair and how. Find his house - take his first child hostage
Make passionate love to his wife - take pictures - and when the luthier starts
screwing up - start releasing the pictures and the info. Also date his daughter if
she is still female and over 19 - promise marriage.

The parts that sound serious are - the rest is supposed to be a joke...or a suggestion.

cap10kirk

Really, that's not too bad. I was expecting to see the body crushed, based on the title of this thread. Any competent luthier can fix that, no problem. Broken headstocks on Gibsons aren't uncommon.
Or you could always donate it to me, I'll glue it back together and play it.

Kriso77

Silver Supporting Member
If you wanted to be adventurous....use the guitar
to learn how to repair - possibly ask a real luthier
if they would be willing to help you learn (which might
cost you more than just repairing it yourself!).

Of just bring it to Gruhn Guitars or someone you 100% trust.
It's completely restorable.

Or...one last piece of advice - Do not pay more than 15% up front.
Get the schedule of repair in a written contract - put all your expectations
in clear statements - and get a signature on a contract that clearly states
what the luthier will repair and how. Find his house - take his first child hostage
Make passionate love to his wife - take pictures - and when the luthier starts
screwing up - start releasing the pictures and the info. Also date his daughter if
she is still female and over 19 - promise marriage.

The parts that sound serious are - the rest is supposed to be a joke...or a suggestion.
Got it...date a 19 year old. Logging off. Gotta talk to the wife.

Jim85IROC

Silver Supporting Member
Repair it. Wood glue and a clamp will put it back to playable shape. If that's past your skill set, get an estimate from a luthier. Considering the value of the guitar, I think it's well worth repairing.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
dude!
you're in jersey
send some more pics to david petillo
call him at 732-531-6338 and tell him michael rowley sent you
he'll want to see it in person, but might be able to ball-park it for you

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
no don't trash it, yes get it fixed, no, don't experiment on it yourself.

that's not an easy fix! the easy ones are where the front is still attached and there's lots of surface area for gluing. this one will be harder to get lined up and has less glue area.

it might involve something more complex like a backstrap overlay, where the head is reattached, then planed down by like 1/8" and new wood laminated onto the back to cover and reinforce the break.

still well worth doing.

Tommy Biggs

Silver Supporting Member
Lark Street in Teaneck is a high end acoustic shop. Bill at Daves sound in Whippany might be worth a call too...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom