The SECRET to those glassy Strat clean tones....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sinasl1, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DRS

DRS Member

Thanks for posting this. Years ago, I built a 69 style germanium FF from a kit and was disappointed because the output was barely above unity cranked. I paid premium $ for 2 germanium transistors and was bummed as I thought I got 2 fakes. Installed silicone transistors and I love the pedal.

Tim Bowen likes this.
  2. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

For me it just sounds like tiny wires wrapped around small magnets.:D

3. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Fortunately, on my big box '69 (built in 1999), unity volume is right around noon on the Volume control, sometimes a tad higher depending on the situation (this is guitar, amp and band dependent). I keep the Fuzz dimed at all times, the Bias around 3:00 (lower if I have a wah with me) and the Contour around 9:00. I think the internal trimpot is set to the factory setting. And if I turn it on for a song, it's on for the whole song with dirt adjustments from the guitar. I've been using the pedal this way since about 2000.

Tim Bowen likes this.
  4. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

Great comparison with the amp clean/guitar 10. As always, has what other demo videos lack. :aok

5. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Maybe for you but this was a revelation for me and some previous posters. Thanks Pete!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    CapnRex, Mad-kiwi, Laurence and 3 others like this.
  6. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I do the same with my Little Big Muff with the distortion on a lower setting.

Gig Young likes this.
  7. blue62

blue62 Member

Interesting the timing of things. I recently went back to using an always on Fuzz Face as my basic clean tone. Its my favourite ever guitar sound. The Mojohand Huckleberry is superb for this purpose.

pickaguitar likes this.
  8. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

Just wait until you scrape that goop outta there and use silicon.

9. thereeds

thereeds Silver Supporting Member

This is 100%. I recently got an Analogman fuzz. I'm not into full-on fuzz sounds, but I really like them dialed back. While messing around to see how it cleaned up, I noticed how much high end came through from the fuzz with the guitar volume on 7 (no treble bleed). It was much "sparklier" than if I'd adjusted the tone on the guitar or amp, all from the fuzz. It's awesome!

pickaguitar likes this.
  10. cram

cram Member

I've used nearly the exact combo you have in that demo.
    Edge breakup Strat - Fulltone '69 - 2204.
    It always amazed me how it was still present while the knob is at 6-7 during verse and then crank it open for the dirt/fuzz.

Love it!

pickaguitar likes this.
  11. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I use a Strat -> Sunface NKT -> Marshall and it's sparkly spanky clean magic (with depth)

woof* likes this.
  12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Mmmm... nope. You cant get the sound of a rolled back fuzz face with a compressor. The fuzz face clean isnt perfectly clean. It still has a bit of hair, and gets hairier the harder you dig in and its sparkly in a really cool way. A fuzz is the only way to get this sound.
    Sort of but not really. The interactive nature of the fuzz is down to impedance. The guitar output impedance and fuzz input impedance dynamically interact based on the volume pot position. That is why the fuzz cleans up so radically from 10 to 7-8 on the volume knob and something like a Tube Screamer doesnt. So right there you have a minimal volume difference between full on fuzz and rolled of clean tone. But because the full on fuzz is a square wave it severely clips the signal resulting in even less level difference between fuzz and clean. The really cool part is that when rolled back the cleanish fuzz tone is still responsive to pick attack - getting grittier the more you dig in.

JiveJust likes this.
  13. cram

cram Member

Hey Pete - I noticed you put a followup to clarify folks pointing to a treble bleed.

My earlier reply about my setup is w/out a treble bleed. In fact it's what most would consider a subpar setup: 2001 AStd Strat (no bleed) -> fuzz 69 -> 2204.

In searching for a FF (germ.pedal) I had borrowed a mini fuzz face and liked it, but this one seemed way better in it's presence for lack of a better term.

It (that pedal) really does accentuate the frequencies of what people associate this "glassy" sound. I was floored when I noticed it. This actually put me in a mode of really working on the knob to transition between comping/verse and chorus/solo levels.

Now... I do have a bleed circuit in my possession, but have yet to install it.. we all have oodles of time don't we? :) I'm sure; I'm positive it will make what I currently use even better..er, but the point of a germanium + v.knob rolloff is a crucial one in the land of Tone!

BuddyGuit, CapnRex, mw63 and 3 others like this.
  14. NattyBar

NattyBar Member

Works quite well with the Hudson Broadcast going into the HX Stomp... So will be just as good with the Helix or LT

CapnRex likes this.
  15. runningman

runningman Member

Major respect for Pete as a player and demo-er of gear, but I'd don't think there's much more to that 'glassy' tone than a good Strat and a tube amp with some headroom.

When I think about that tone, I'm pretty much thinking about Sultans of Swing and Wicked Game, and I'm pretty sure neither used a fuzz. In the case of Wicked Game, reverb was the key component.

vibrolux56 likes this.
  16. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

@sinasl1 thanks so much for this video. This opened up a whole new world of tone for me.

17. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

18. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Well I have treble bleeds in all my guitars. When I got my Malekko Fuzz I got out my Stray and went thru the volume control to find the sweet spots. Now I understand why it sounds so cool with the volume rolled down. Thank ya kindly! :)

19. Lance

Lance Member

Oh man, I left my NKT275 at the drummer's house. I'll have to wait until our July jam to get it back, so I can try this.

20. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Duncan ssl-1 Glassy.

Mincer likes this.