The SECRET to those glassy Strat clean tones....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sinasl1, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

you hinted at why the fuzz gives more highs. A square wave, by definition, is a sine wave with an infinite number of overtones, i.e., more highs. Creating a square wave out of a sine wave (that's what a fuzz does) is going to add a crapload of artificial high frequency overtones, all based on the root tone.

2. prsjcm

prsjcm Member

For sure. It's the same thing with my Tweed Pro and the Blackface Bassman I had. It's just the prettiest, sparkling cleans.

pickaguitar likes this.
  3. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

Wicked Game is a great song, album is too. But IIRC a Gretsch was used for Wicked Game? the model escapes me though. Also, i don't think Pete was saying this is the only glassy strat tone, rather this tone is available with a fuzz and a lot of players maybe overlook it or don't know.

edit: did some more research and you're right, it was a strat. he actually posted in a thread 2011 explaining signal chain: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...und-in-chris-isaacs-wicked-game.984248/page-2

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  4. jman

jman Supporting Member

I recall reading an interview in one of those guitar mags with SRV & he was talking about maybe liking the clean sound better that way(with the fuzz on and vol knob rolled back)-simple and effective, didn't realize it was kinda news at this point, but ... cool.

FokenBusker likes this.
  5. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Tonekat likes this.
  6. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

7. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

To me, the ultimate Strat tone is what Robbie Blunt got in Plant's song "Big Log". That's the song that really inspired me to check out Strats after playing Les Pauls exclusively for a few years.
    I can nail that sound on my ESP 400 Series (w/ Fender Vintage Noiseless) and a Bad Cat Bobcat 20 and a bit of amp boost.

I'm thinking there was no fuzz used on Big Log (maybe, maybe not), but I do like how in the OP video Pete demonstrates the importance of a) thinking outside the box of what we consider normal and b) our guitar's volume knob as one of the greatest 'effects' that we have at our disposal.
    Rolling off the guitar's volume changes tone and character and give us options more useable than stomping on and off a pedal to get cleans/overdrive/etc...

EVH and Blackmore and many others demonstrated this on record countless times.

BCnSTL likes this.
  8. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

Realizing how much can be achieved with the guitar volume and tone knobs helped me save a lot on other gear.

9. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

The Wicked Game tone is not the tone the fuzz pedal gives you. The WG Tone is warm and deep sounding. The fuzz tone is more glassy and sits closer to the surface... a bit more aggressive and funky.

10. soggywaffle17

soggywaffle17 Member

If I’m remembering right, two newer guys that I’ve been listening to use this technique. Joey Landreth and Ariel Posen. Play lower volume on guitar and use fuzz pedals.

11. BCnSTL

BCnSTL Member

This tip is so cool. I've been playing/noodling a long time and had no idea this was "a thing" for clean tones.
    Related - is this how Eric Johnson gets his amazeballs glassy-clean tones?

12. DCross

DCross Member

Thank you for the demo, Pete. I knew you could clean up an overdrive pedal by lowering the guitar volume but I never realized fuzz could sound so good that way.

Now I know what I want for my birthday!

pickaguitar likes this.
  13. DRS

DRS Member

Yes but I have DD tone:D

Dave M likes this.
  14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

That doesnt apply to the rolled off cleans which are barely clipping. The reason the Fuzz face clean tone is bright is because of the impedance interaction. High impedance loads down the pickup and the result is muted hi frequencies. This is what normally happens when you roll down your volume knob with most pedals or just straight into the amp. But the fuzz face keeps the impedance the pickup sees artificially low, retaining and even enhancing the high frequencies.

Page of Cups and Jim85IROC like this.
  15. sev_reed

sev_reed Member

One of these?
    [​IMG]

:dunno

vibrolux56 and msquared like this.
  16. Mad-kiwi

Mad-kiwi Member

I could be wrong but I suspect Pete doesn't think these tones are what he is demonstrating when he specifically mentions Jimi Hendrix...?

I sure wouldn't put jimi's clean glassy tone in the same realm as SoS and WG.

17. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I don't have a Fuzz but I do have a Germanium Treble Booster so I'm going to give this a shot with that and see what happens. The more videos of Pete's that I watch the more more gear I want that I had zero interest previously, great for my playing and inspiration but not so much for my bank account...

18. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

Not me personally, but I was also curious and found this guy. He doesn't exactly get "glassy" like Pete here, but he gets a sweet clean-up with volume roll-back nonetheless. Who knows what other parameters the Helix guy used in recording, but you try it and report back to us whether or not you could achieve "glassy".

19. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Nice sounds. Will a fuzz interact the same way with humbuckers?

20. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Indeed. A Fuzz Face is not a rack effect.;)

Those of you who can’t get unity gain out of a FF: are you diming the “fuzz” knob? I have never had that problem with any that I’ve had, ge or si. This is the first time I’ve heard anyone suggest a relationship between the output level and the material the transistors are made of, for that matter.

I currently have a Sunface NKT275, a Fulltone ‘69 MKII, and an MXR Classic Fuzz, and none of them have that problem.

I’m surprised more people don’t know about the cleanup of a FF. Especially those who use Fuzz Faces. That’s pretty much the whole reason to use one, rather than another fuzz, imo.

Some clean up more than others (a white dot normal gain NKT275 Sunface will get TOTALLY clean, but most still have a little grit in the signal), but they all do it, to some degree.

As an aside, I love the fact that, in this thread, there is:

1. A guy who thinks an ash body and maple fretboard would make an appreciable improvement, for a sparkly clean sound.

2. A conversation about whether “Wicked Game” was recorded on a Strat or a Gretch.

paulg, Carltone and willyboy like this.