The SECRET to those glassy Strat clean tones....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sinasl1, Jun 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Sounds really good and I’m gonna give it a shot. The one thing that worries me though is that your base sound is a 50w Marshall with jumped channels just at the edge of breakup. That alone (without the fuzz) is WAY too loud for most clubs I play in. Any lower and I doubt it’ll sound as good as you demonstrate.

2. oresti

oresti Member

That was a cool video. Thanks.

3. motokev

motokev Member

Man, that Marshall sounds gooooood

4. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

General_Specific likes this.
  5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Thanks!!!

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Lol there's some funny comments in this thread. I do like stirring the pot sometimes. Did you LISTEN to the video? The FF is a classic as far as the roll-down/hyper Hendrixy top end stratty thing.

Yes guys NO KIDDING Knopfler, Compressors, Hiwatts etc etc etc there's more than one way to skin a cat, let's not state the obvious. But NONE of that sounds like the fuzz w/volume rolled down thing which I repeatedly audibly demonstrate in the video. THE TONE that's how we got fuzz pedals out of this.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Never would have guessed.

Great tip!

8. DRS

DRS Member

Can a silicon Dunlop FF get you there?

9. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

I first discovered this effect for myself with a kit-built 5E3 at conversational volume. I'd just got my first Ge Fuzzface, which was pretty exciting in itself ... then, as I always do with a new gadget, I rolled the guitar back to about 7 and was gifted with the even more exciting surprise of the finest, sweetest, bright-but-supported crystal clear clean I'd yet got out of my Strat.

Does the same thing with any of my small combo amps. It's a great application of the FF.

If you ever come across an Ampeg Scrambler or derivative (I have the BYOC version, which is a pretty good take on it), it also has a similar shimmery clean if the pedal's gain control is dialed back - but it's an Si-based circuit, so while the clean-boost sound is similar in character there is a slightly different emphasis, and you lose the beautiful and unusual octave-swell thing that the Scrambler does setting it up that way and who wants to do that? I only mention it as it's the closest I've encountered to what a rolled-back Ge FF does. Which is pretty unique.

Anyway. A good FF shouldn't need a loud, dirty amp to work great. It's great into a clean amp, and I think better in some ways as then you get an even better tone rolled back.

Hot In The Shade likes this.
  10. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

I have a silicon FF and it does clean up, just not quite to the degree you get with a Ge FF. And not as quickly; with the Ge FF, there shouldn't be too much perceptible volume drop before it gets really sparkly clean, whereas with an Si FF or other fuzz, you have to roll back further and there is usually quite a bit of a drop in level. Different dynamic response as well, the Ge FF reacting more to attack with the Strat's volume around 7 or 8. IME.

Vintage_ likes this.
  11. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Such a testament to the brilliance of Hendrix to find that sound at time when such experimentation was far from commonplace. And PT captures it brilliantly. No surprise there.

Thanks Pete!

12. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

The cat is out of the bag! Works great on Teles too!

Gig Young likes this.
  13. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

Even better than that is rolling back the volume with a treble booster slamming a cranked amp.

14. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

yes, of course. you may have misunderstood, I was responding to runningman's post about what he thought were better glassy strat tones like WG, SoS. Obviously they are different, but all great of course. Pete is talking about the special cleans with the fuzz, not that it's the only way. It's a great way to go though, I've been doing it for 15 yrs or so in various situations.

A-Bone likes this.
  15. ItsaRat!

ItsaRat! Member

I built a silicon fuzz factory clone. It also does this. It’s one of the best overdrive sounds I’ve heard.

16. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

I have a Black Secret Rat Clone that I love at low gain. I need to try it at gain rolling back the volume.

17. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Thanks! I learned something new!

18. DRS

DRS Member

So, what is a good affordable GE fuzzface that is in current production?

19. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Define "affordable."

20. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Sparkly-rough clean. Makes perfect sense. I don’t use a completely clean tone unless it is some sort of Jazz thing. But some of the coolest Jazz guitar tones IMO have a little bit of hair on it some to speak. Um…:D

saltbird likes this.