• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The SelMac guitar....

dave251

For those of you who have yet to experience these funny looking French design guitars, you owe it to yourself to try one or six out...if you can find them.

I've been playing a Gitane DG300 for six or seven years, and yesterday took delivery on a Paris Swing GG42. These are both Chinese copies of the more expensive European instruments, but do have the traditional "gypsy" tone, when you string them with the correct "gypsy" strings.

However, I don't use the guitars for gypsy jazz, but rather for just about everything else. The Gitane is absolutely the loudest acoustic guitar I've ever played. Great cutting power for those parking lot jams and acoustic circles. And because it's so strong(muscular!!), I can stay out of it rather than forcing, and get much more subtlety in my playing. Very clear, with great note separation. Both of these guitars require a strong right hand, and respond in kind.

Rather than the silver plated copper strings that are recommended for gypsy jazz, I use a bit heavier phosphor bronze, 11-50. These strings, along with the guitar design, allow for very dynamic and forceful playing; GREAT FUN to be able to dig in and make 'em bark.

Who else appreciates the design?

Trending Topics