The Sept 2008 "All Guitars" Picture

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jeffwith1f, Sep 14, 2008.

1. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

Seems to be something I feel compelled to do every year or so.

It took me 4 hours of moving stuff around, but, I managed to snap this today:

[​IMG]

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

YOWZA! Now thats a collection of fine geetars!

3. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

I miss your silverburst V :( haha

4. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I miss the silverburst as well, but I know who has it, and I still see it pictured from time to time. (it's in good hands) I sold it so to help afford the Moderne, which I am happy to have, so all in all, I can sleep at night knowing I let that go.

I'm pretty certain my neighbours think I'm insane
    that, or they are planning to rob me shortly.

5. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

Time- you have too much of it.

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Too many Gibsons, not enough strats!!!

7. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

au contraire. I basically spent all the free time I had for the week setting this up and doing it. I'm currently working 12 hour days, 6-7 days a week. Today was the first day off I've had in several weeks (and come to think of it, I still responded to some emails)

now..
    misguided priorities
    too much discretionary income

these may be my problems.

8. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

not enough strats?!?!
    how about "Not a single Tele"

i should really have a Tele....

I used to have more Fenders (Performer, Jazzmaster, Jag-Stang), but I'm a 24.5" double-bucker kinda guy.

9. JS335

JS335 Member

I'm afraid you've broken the little known TGP rule of owning a maximum of 22 more guitars than JS335. That's gonna cost you 2 LP's and a 335. Sorry, them's the rules.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Yep, no Tele's is a sin!

The no Tele sin is compounded by no P90 guitars.

You really are in deep poop with a collection like that.

11. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

lol...
    now, I know there are plenty of crazy cats on here with more instruments than me (although I'm probably in the 90th percentile), we can't all owe the JS33 tax...if we did, you'd have more guitars, and then you'd owe the tax to yourself....you're going to need a luthier/accountant to get you out of the mess you are heading towards, and those are hard to find. I'll just keep my paul's until you do, thanks.

as for P-90's. I actually like P-90's quite a bit. I was quite sad when I had to let my Jazzmaster go.

my idealized configuration would be a Hum in the bridge and a P-90 in the neck

so.....why don't I own a BFG?
    A: I spent it all on other guitars.

12. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

I'm a perv. I'm more interested in your Teisco.

:eek:

13. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

Good eye, it's the oldest instrument in the bunch (perhaps one of the cheapo acoustics is also from this era, but I doubt it)

it's a WG-4L that was rebranded "Planet" instead of Teisco.
    plays like poo, but seems to pique the interest of people with an eye for things from the 60's. It is from 65ish as best I can tell.

[​IMG]

14. KingBoneSlim

KingBoneSlim Member

15. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

the Black Flying V (1990, 67 R.I.) is the reason why I'm chock-a-block with Gibbys. It is my official #1. I bought it new at the end of 1990. It has been my main guitar at gigs and rehersals for about 16 of the last 18 years. I have broken the headstock twice, and it has survived the repair both times without any adverse effects to it's tone.

[​IMG]

The last 2-3 years though I've been playing my Explorer more though. I picked it up used back in 2002/2003 or so. It's a 96 or 97 (I don't remember off hand) Absolutely wonderful playing instrument. Same pickups as the V, so it integrates well into my amp setup, but more wood. As someone on here said, and I am fond of repeating "nothing rocks like a coffee table".

[​IMG]

And finally: I use alot of tunings. 4-5 per set/rehersal. The Robot Les Paul Studio is just way to useful for me. Since I got it back this Spring/Summer, It's become the guitar I seem to have one all the time. Being able to switch tunings at the push of a button is awesome, and it's attached to a light guitar that looks pretty cool, and sounds fantastic. if it didn't sound good, I would have gone back to using other guitars. Say what you will about the Robots being stupid gimmicks, or one of the signs of the apocolypse, but it works for me.

[​IMG]

16. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Very nice. I like that Ibanez LP clone, dead center, with the half-vined neck. Sweet!

17. JS335

JS335 Member

Drats!

18. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

it is, quite possibly, the most beautiful guitar in the entire collection.
    I seem to recall hearing that it is in fact a birch top on these, or birch with a maple veneer. either way, it's stunning. I am pretty sure it's chanbered underneath.

it's playing action is good enough, but the pickups, which are stock, kind of suck. I'd never swap them out though, I'd rather keep it intact. dates to around 74-75. just tail end of lawsuit era I believe. the headstock is still the clone of the gibson shape, so it pre-dates the change that resulted from the lawsuit, but this model did not show in the Ibanex catalogues until later in that era. (prior to lawsuit)

I have never seen another one with this neck though. the standard model would have had blocks.

here's a closer picture of the guitar voted prettiest in show:

[​IMG]