The serious problem with owning several guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dead of night, Apr 3, 2015.

1. dead of night

dead of night Member

Hi, I would guess the average TGP member owns between 5 and 8 guitars. There is a dilemma about this. Let me explain.

The intense problem with owning several guitars is you must put the others away for a good length of time while you enjoy the current instrument. This is wrong.

A great, old guitar needs to be played all day, every day to stay alive and broken in. Let me be more specific.

It's the neck wood that needs to vibrate to stay alive, soft, pliable, and broken in. Like a nice old baseball glove, if you put it away and neglect it for six months, when you pick it up again it will be stiff and dead. Let me make one more point.

Think of the great, iconic guitars. Jimmy Page's number one Les Paul. Keith Richard's black, beloved, 1959 ES355. Eric Clapton's Brownie or Blackie. Mick Taylor's Burst. Neil Young's Old Black. These axes are played all day, every day, for decades. They are loved, played, and stay warm and alive. The neck just sings in all the right places.

The dilemma we all face is putting our other guitars away for a good while. They each need to be loved all day, every day. Otherwise they grow hard and cold.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I prefer just waving a chicken foot in a mojo bag over them on a daily basis.

3. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Make sure it is a left foot only.

4. archey

archey Member

You really should be burning sage as well.

5. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

I thought this was what people did with Chickenfoot cds.

6. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Me love you long time

7. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

My main 6 electrics get played daily- or every couple of days.

OP, why is it that you think guitars need to be, or are, "put away" for long periods of time? This is not my experience.

I do agree that guitars need to be played to "open up" to some extent. I find that after I build a tele or strat that they do tend to have a break in period while everything settles. I don't think they need to be played as much as you are suggesting though.

8. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Why put the away? Get a guitar stand for them all. Guitars in cases don't get played as much as those at the ready. My mantra is that guitar cases are meant for traveling. Sure, it can get quite cluttered but having them at the ready works for me.

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

:jo :bkw

Isn't this why we all spend extra money for reliced guitars?

10. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

11. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I own 50+ guitars. Some live in the cases for one reason or another, but for the most part they live out on the walls or in those nice Fender tweed multi-guitar racks. So whenever I'm playing (which is a lot) they're all getting hit with a fair amount of musical vibration. Even more so when I have a band down there rehearsing, which happens on a regular basis.

I also make sure to get around to all of them. I have found that, if I haven't played a certain guitar in two or three months, it takes at least 20 minutes of play time for that guitar to "wake up."

12. mxvin

mxvin Member

A friend of mine has about 10 guitars or so. What he does is he has a "set list" so to speak for each guitar. He is not in a band but we do jam. Thats how he uses, practices, and plays all his guitars. The SG is set up for slide, the SRV Strat is well you know, LP is for Zep/Allman Brother...etc.
    He does it with is acoustics as well.

13. dead of night

dead of night Member

Well, when I break out a guitar I usually love it exclusively for at least 3 days. It takes half a day just to get used to it again!

Multiply that by several or 6, and some gutars do get "put away" for longer than is good for them.

I can't relate to zztomato's "playing all 6 electrics every day." I don't see how that's possible, unless you play each one for 45 minutes. And that's about 5 hours of playing a day!

14. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

The real problem is we are not all rock stars and have these darn day jobs and other responsibilities to deal with that take time away from playing all day/every day.

Not only do our guitars suffer from this neglect, but what about all those groupies that need our love too. Not to mention our lack of time to consume mountains of drugs.

I mean honestly, if we are really going to solve this problem, we have to take a look at the big picture of SEX, DRUGS & ROCK 'n ROLL.

15. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

:banana:beer

16. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

I have four electrics and they are all unique. Modded with different pickups and 50s wiring, three are semi-hollows but one is a hollowbody. One of the semis has p90s in it. I can tune one to Drop D so it is always ready to go. Different tunings you play all the time is a good reason to have a couple guitars.

Two are identical models, Ibanez AS93, it's just a matter of whether or not I want the P90s or the Seth Lover pickup when I pick one over the other.

I just acquired the fourth guitar and will be modding it to be different and have a unique sound.

So in that regard having a few guitars makes sense. Could I get by with just one? Yes. But life is too short to just have one guitar at a time.

17. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

Whatever strikes your fancy, OP. If you choose to stress over not playing your guitars enough, fine. But you really shouldn't . The claims you put forth are not verifiable. Wood (at least the kind found in a guitar neck) is LONG dead. It has no memory, no vibe, etc, etc. There is no magic, only physics matter here. Sure, don't store your guitars in adverse conditions (low humidity, etc...), but other than that, feel free to ignore them for eons, it will not matter one bit. I own 9 guitars, and some of them do not see play for months/years. I have not played my PRS Custom 24 for at least 2 years, in one stretch. When I picked it up again, it was every bit as vibrant and fun as when I had put it in its case two years before.

Don't fall in the category of people that routinely place their guitars in front of speakers to «energize» and «activate» the wood fiber. It's all snake oil, and not one single individual has been able to prove otherwise.

Life can be full of things to worry about. Don't make your underutilized guitars one of them.

Cheers.

18. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

This ^ works really well, but scientific research has shown that if your TGP post count average is at least two per day, you can waive the chicken foot every other day.

19. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

I have like six or so Strats: one for just Mark Knopfler licks, one for Skynyrd only, one for SRV stuff, one for Floyd riffs, one for Jeff Beck type noises and noodling, and the other for use in my own made-up version of "Strat Death Match" where Hendrix kills John Mayer over and over.

20. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I put my good acoustic away for the winter.
    To me it does seem to take a bit of time to 'wake up' when the humidity comes back and I break it out and play it every day - but in a day or 3 it's fine. I also wonder if it takes my ears to adjust a little - there are studies (IIRC) that suggest that wood and glue doesn't change. I think it does, but I'm no rocket surgeon.

I have a few electrics and rotate them - generally they become the main for a couple of weeks right after I change their Strings - but my gig guitar and backup also stay in the mix. The acoustic thing doesn't really seem to happen to my solid body guitars.