.... the SHANNON HELIOS Overdrive ...guys this is where its at!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smawer, Feb 12, 2008.

1. smawer

smawer I like to play.

Hey guys...

there are reviews all down this thread.. especially towards the end.

here's mine:

greetings from Oz dudes !

I think i've found the perfect OD.

.......... so ive gone through a fairly long line of overdrives...

Ibanez: ts9, ts808, ts9 with mods, fulltone: fulldriveII, dubtronics: tubescreamin', tubescreamin+, CMATMODS: SignaDrive, MI Audio: BBD, Tubezone
    Crowther: Hotcake, Boss: Super OD, Prescription Electronics Dual Tone, Shannon Overdrive, Zendrive, Lovepedal Eternity, Timmy, Tim, etc

The pick of the crop have been the Zendrive, Timmy, Tim and Eternity.......

enter the HELIOS.

IMO.. the HELIOS is voiced between the Zendrive and Eternity.. but WAY smoother and more articulate and natural.

The Eternity, which, to give it all credit is an AMAZING pedal for plugging into a clean amp: beautiful crunchy, woody, smooth hard-hitting channel-in-a-box.
    ....... its limits as i have found are that it can get a tad raspy when ur using a low wattage amp and pushing the pre-amp with the pedal... and while it does clean with a bit of hair MUCH better than 99% of pedals out there... its still a little more compressed than a true tube amp breakup. the other thing ive found is that it doesnt really shine as a boost pedal... ie complimenting an amp's breakup tone .. i find it too compressed for this purpose.

The Zendrive... made my strat sound HUGE.. but i found it was only good for solo lines.. and not so good for rhythm work.. it got too muddy and the gain structure was too all over the place for my liking. the Zen probably has the best tone for solo lines of any pedal ive tried going into a clean amp.

so i was telling this to Mr. Eric Shannon who claims to have retired :) .. and he informed me that he was thinking of getting back into the game and had two new offerings......... the HELIOS and the OXIDE overdrives which he's offering at limited runs for now..

[​IMG]__________________[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Helios
    ok, now im convinced the HELIOS is the best low gain overdrive pedal i have tried thus far.

it is WAY WAY smooth , and retains the bottom end no-end!. it sounds like chocolate. The Eternity is impressive, and so is the Zen... .. but then A/B'd with the HELIOS... i'd pick the latter easily. articulate, just enough gain.. and then enough when you need it.. NO raspiness, no fizzy fuzzy crap.. and every note rings out true. the TONE control takes it from blues to rock...
    TRY THIS BABY WITH HUMBUCKERS !!! it retains the tone of your instrument more than any of the other pedals listed above.

my pedals are now HELIOS --> TIMMY with the TIMMY being used as a gain boost.

i dont really know how to do a proper review.. on these things.. but given the price tag Eric's pedals are well worth a look.

The OXIDE

again....... awesome reviews later in the thread.

im happy to answer questions and give my thoughts either pedal. hopefully some other users might be out there.. although im serial no#5 or something !
    email Eric and visit his site... he sometimes takes a few days to get back but is always good for a reply:

www.shannon-effects.com
    info@shannon-effects.com

so........how do i use these pedals?
    my chain now looks like:
    1. Shannon Comp. 2 HELIOS 3. TIMMY 4. SHO 5. Zvex FuzzPRobe

1. Shannon Compressor is another story :) ... you'd have to ask Eric about that.
    3. I usually leave the Helios nearly all the time. its completely clean and adds tone to my sound... and then pushes into uncompressed just breakup with some harder picking action. AMAZING.
    4. i then run that into the TIMMY for stacking.. which smooths out the TIMMY and makes it sound fuller and not so grainy.. nice, thick, singing overdrive. i think they're the perfect compliment. with the gain primed.. i think theres not much to separate these two pedals. Perhaps the TIMMY sounds a little more "gainy", and the Helios a bit "woodier".Suffice to say...... HUGE props to PAul Cochrane and Eric SHAnnon for taking me to tone heaven.
    =

but when it comes to cost.... the Helios & Oxide are nearly half the price of a new Eternity... $US150 shipped. email him.

..ive even seen a few on sale in the Emporium for $140.. i guess thats cause no one really knows how good these pedals actually are.

cheers guys

Simon.

2. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

3. smawer

smawer I like to play.

around the $US150 mark

4. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I'm intrigued....Shannon makes great stuff.

5. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

As soon as I read this thread (yesterday morning), I e-mailed Eric to be among the first to get one of the limited run of 40 pedals. I just got an e-mail back.

Hi Mark. Thanks for your interest in the Helios. I'm offering them for a
    great price of $150 shipped. I accept Paypal using
    (eric@shannon-effects.com). I'm just waiting on a couple parts to be
    delivered, but they should be here sometime this week. I would probably
    be able to build and ship by Monday or Tuesday next week. Let me know any
    other questions. Have a great day!

Regards,

Eric Shannon

So needless to say I'm excited. Big time!
    Simon, thanks for posting!!!!

6. smawer

smawer I like to play.

excellent mate. make sure u check back and let us know what u think!

7. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Email sent. Hope I can get one...probably of each.

8. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

it seems that the kings at doing what this Helios does are the Timmy and BJF Honey bee...how does it compare to them? (i ask since you've said to have been through most overdrives)

9. smawer

smawer I like to play.

........ well u got me there. im expecting to get the Timmy in the next month.. its been about 9mths on the wait list, and ive never tried the HB.
    sorry !

i should add that my axe is a strat with a lil 59er in the bridge. ... tried it with an Gib LP last night.. definitely a different flavour of tone. i would have to call "vintage".

10. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

just put my request for one as well - very intrigued.

11. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

How much bass loss as compared to the E?

12. jazzandmetal?

That is a great question.

BTW The timmy have very little in common sound wise.

13. smawer

smawer I like to play.

yes that is another difference. i find i cant turn the tone nob on my E past 9:00 without getting into raspy territory...... I definitely can on the Helios though...

14. dmczern

dmczern Member

Any news on the "Oxide" ????? Anyone else try one yet ?

15. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

Email sent. Surely worth checking out.

16. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Still loving my Uniphase.

Glad to hear you got time to build again Eric.

If these are the refined versions of the prototypes I'm excited. Love the new smaller PB friendly cases.

If there is an encyclopedia definition of smooth Overdrive... There is a shannon somewhere in there.

These sound TREMENDOUS in fenders.

Oxide is JFET as far as I know. Should be a fairly natural tweedish sounding OD

Nice to see all that R and D was worth it.

Good Luck E.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your putting the Power Jack up top for my pedal board friendliness!

17. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

How about some clips?

18. smawer

smawer I like to play.

ill do what i can.. im not setup for this purpose. ive asked Eric.. he might have some. also, i updated my 1st post a bit.

19. jazzandmetal?

20. pappafox

pappafox Member

Hi smawer, how does the Helios compare to the Signadrive?

Thanx, Jimbo