• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Silver Jubilee Appreciation Thread

Steve73

How does the low end of the Silver Jub compare with an early '70's JMP? I have a '74 that has a lot of low end.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
IMO they don't quite have the same low end thud...but you can dial it in. It sits REALLY well in the mix live though because of that.

Course it depends on the 74 too, is it lead or bass spec, that makes a difference.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
Bought a 2553 with 2x12 matching cab off CL in early '08 for $1200. Very fun amp to play. Kept the head in a drawer at work. Very convenient.

It actually took pedals really well. Ran a treble booster and modified TS808 into each other a couple of times and got usable tones. Wasn't a fan of the 'cleans'. Sold the amp looking for a more searing tone...the Jube was really fat.

Still look for a good deal on one on occasion. The Jube has a unique, unmistakable tone.

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Very, very pleased with my 2555. That being said, I recently got a Soldano SLO and the Marshall hasn't been played since.

The Marshall really does the 70's and 80's well, and the SLO does the does the 80's and 70's well.:D

I may move on my near mint 2555 but I'm certainly in no hurry.

dsmc80

As a big Fusciante fan I've always been curious about this amps but I've never really dug Marshalls.

So how is the Jubee tone? How is it compared to say BF Fenders.
Frusciante fan? Majors and Jubilees here brother. The Jubilee's are anti BFs.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
I played my 2x12 combo last night for the first time with my band. Les Paul, neck pickup, tone halfway. Holy crap I thought I was Warren Haynes. whoooooooooooo

Stringrazor

I have the 50W 2x12 combo. I'm still trying to come to terms with it. I re-tubed it with JJs. It's very mid-range'y w/o a lot of top or bottom. Last gig I used a LPR8 and a Frankenstrat w/Duncan Hot Rails pup in the bridge position (for slide). I used the clean channel set with input gain just before breakup. I haven't used the clipped channel much at all. I find it harsh with little adjustment available.

I've been using a DamageControl Womanizer in front and that's not working either. My main problem is not having the time/space to experiment at gig volume. I've only done 2 gigs with it. I'll keep at it for a while before I decide to turn it around.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I love my 2553 50Watt small box head. In my last band that was the amp I used with a Homebrew 212 with Celestion CL80's. Plenty of low end and when I wanted more, I just ran an EQ in the loop with a slight scoup, helped me get more of a modern tone when I needed it. Mine has an extra volume knob to adjust the clean, so I can match the channel volumes. This allowed me a pretty versatile rig with a few pedals to round it out. For cleans, I found you either need SC's or to split the humbuckers, than they do the job.

When I first plugged into the 2553 after buying it used, I was like that is it. The distortion was just what I was looking for, it was the sound in my head. Its a wonderful hard rock amp. In the last year picked up the matching 2556AV 212 cab and loaded it with WGS ET-65's. The ET-65's don't have as much low end as the CL80's (compared them in the same cab with the 2553), but like I said, I can always run an EQ in the loop.

owned one, sold it...

honestly, i couldnt bond with the overall darker tone. too many mids for my taste.

dont get me wrong. it was a nice amp, but not for me. the mids will make the bottom end sound quite loose. not the best amp for riffing but a champion for solo work and chords...
there is plenty of gain in this amp. but it was too smooth and even my badass strat sounded like a sack of bees.

still love my marshall 2204 though. i'll probably buy a jmp one day and for me marshall tone ends with the jcm 800 line... dont beat me for that... it's just me!

finally sold it and bought a bad cat tone cat... and found my tone.

miamimart

Bought a 2554 many years ago and still have it. Big, meaty tone although the clean channel is useless. Pull the crunch rhythm and there you are. As a stand alone, there isn't enough bass in that 1-12 configuration. I added a ported 1-12 closed back cabinet (Crate Blue Voodoo w/V30 and that helped a great deal.) Just switched the V30 in the cabinet with an EV 12L and it's a mighty unit.

As an aside, I first saw a 2554 when Joe Walsh played Taste of Chicago many years ago. He was only using a 2554 and I was dumbfounded to see something that small. I thought he was kidding - looked like a practice amp. Still is a practice amp - that is, if you want to practice real loud. :D

LB Rock

Silver Supporting Member
I'm guilty of owning 3 Silver Jubs! First was the 2555 in incredible shape, big regret getting rid of that one. Had incredible tone... then I had a couple smaller head, 2553's come and go, one had good tone the other was flubby despite tube changes etc.
Funny how different 3 of the same amps can sound.
I got love for those heads for sure...

ghost driver

Guys if possible lets see some pictures. I'm not up on all of the model numbers but I'm hunting for my first Silver Jubilee. Is 50w the smallest one? I'm just a home studio player so just looking for one to fit my needs. Right now I have a 20w 2061X that I really like but I want more (of course).

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Guys if possible lets see some pictures. I'm not up on all of the model numbers but I'm hunting for my first Silver Jubilee. Is 50w the smallest one? I'm just a home studio player so just looking for one to fit my needs. Right now I have a 20w 2061X that I really like but I want more (of course).
Here is a list of the models:

http://www.blamepro.com/mar1361.htm

Yes a 50Watt is the lowest wattage one.

Here is a picture of my 50Watt 2553 Small box head.

flantrax

Gold Supporting Member
I've had my 2550 Head for years and used it on countless sessions...never let me down...I use it mainly through and old marshall 4x12 with greenbacks...that and a Les Paul are pretty tough to beat...(shocking...huh?)

Trending Topics