The Silverface "Evil" bright switch

leodiditright

Since I've got my '72 Bandmaster Reverb, I've had a hard time using my pedals with the bright switch on! All my Lovepedal except the Lo Driver just hate it. And with the bright switch off, the amp is lacking life and sounds duller. I have none of those problems with '65 JTM45 head. The JTM45 takes all pedals and does not need a bright switch to get a good clean sound. Any suggestions from classic Fender amps and their clones users?

soldersucker

With the switch on you now have a 120pf cap in circuit you could try subbing a different value 47pf ala Deluxe reverb or whatever sounds best to your ears and leave it on at all times.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Exactly.

On my Tone King, the bright cap is 33pf for a sweet boost in bite and cut that loves pedals.

leodiditright

Thanks, so all Deluxe Reverb bright switches are less bright than the Bandmaster Reverb? I mean when they are stock without any mods.

leodiditright

My JTM-45 does not have to be loud to takes pedals well, I'm trying to get this with the Bandmaster too: taking pedals with the bright switch on (I'm aware that the louder you play, the less effective the bright switch is)

kimock

My JTM-45 does not have to be loud to takes pedals well,
Neither does the Bandmaster. I'd just turn it up until the bright switch sounded right, then hit the pedal to confirm that the amp can actually achieve the balance between the sounds that you're looking for, and then deal with the volume issue separately.

Possibly just turning down the output of the last effect far enough that you can leave the volume on the amp high enough to tame the bright switch.
You'll find it.

Doc W

I can't speak to the Bandmaster, but I love the bright switch on my 1970 sf Super Reverb. I sure would not want to play very loud with it on, but at low volumes, especially for fingers-only chording (no pick), it sounds great. I suggest trying the amp with the bright switch on and then controlling the high end with the treble control and the guitar.

leodiditright

Neither does the Bandmaster. I'd just turn it up until the bright switch sounded right, then hit the pedal to confirm that the amp can actually achieve the balance between the sounds that you're looking for, and then deal with the volume issue separately.

Possibly just turning down the output of the last effect far enough that you can leave the volume on the amp high enough to tame the bright switch.
You'll find it.

I was talking about using pedals at home at low volume. On stage I'm not playing the Bandmaster, I'm playing the JTM-45. Getting the Bandmaster was to have a good clean sound at home with an amp with reverb and tremolo and using my pedals (mostly Lovepedal) to get the dirt.