The single most defining moment of my pedalboard was the hotcake.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popinvasion, May 25, 2015.

1. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I got one in a trade about 10 years ago. I didn't think much of it, in fact I didn't plug it in for weeks. I then tested it before trading it off and I fell in love with it. It's the pedal that brings me home. Any fans?

wembleyisgreen likes this.
  2. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I really liked it, but mostly with the gain below halfway and volume cranked to push my amp (Vox) a bit.

As with most pedals I own, I wondered if the grass was greener somewhere else... After a long journey, I found my overdrive soul mate in the BJFe/Bearfoot Model G.

popinvasion likes this.
  3. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

That's essentially how I use mine. Pedal soul mate is right.

your name here likes this.
  4. van_delay

van_delay Member

I completely agree! There is just something about the Hotcake. I will say that the magic of the Hotcake is only fully there when paired with my Vox AC15, but that pedal just has that extra something that others don't have. It's a pedal you can really feel when you're playing. The way it leaves the lower frequencies intact yields such a thick and full overdrive on chords and offers a rich and smooth lead tone on single notes, without ever being shrill. I often try to come up with a reason to ditch it based on it's shortcomings (it is impossible to fully dial out the woofiness if you need a sharper sound for fast hard rock riffs), but it always wins me back over. Truly inspiring pedal and a pedal soulmate.

5. playthecray

playthecray Member

Now that I finally own a Vox AC15, it is very tempting to try a Hotcake. I just can't justify it right now because I have a crap load of ODs and boosts that work well with the amp.

6. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I have a '94 UK Vox AC30 with Blues.
    The Hotcake was good, but a Whiteface Rat is the next level.