"The Sixties" British Invasion special on CNN last night!

2HBStrat

Did anyone else watch the CNN Special last night "The Sixties: The British Invasion?" I just happened to catch it while flipping around because it wasn't listed in the TV Guide. Anyway, it was a really cool special about the British music invasion of the Sixties and had a lot of cool video clips.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/us/the-sixties

Worth catching if they rerun it!

mikeguy53

Just watched it from the DVR. I thought it was really weel done. Enjoyed it. Could have been even longer.

mike shaw

There's supposed to be a total of 10 episodes the would presumably cover the rest of the 60's. I think they will air in May.

2HBStrat

This documentary really makes you realize what a special time musically that era was, and that will never been repeated, or probably even improved upon. To recap: the American rock and roll and blues music, which began in the 1950's from the r&b genre, was picked up on by British players and renewed and sent back to us (in the USA) at a time when our original rock'n'roll era had waned and we had just lost a president. This captivated and energized us, including our musicians. This spurred an unprecedented explosion of new music and new music genres. In retrospect the era from the mid 1950's through the decline of guitar music in popular music may be seen as an anomaly, but a really damn good one!

WorkinSteamin

Just watched it. Blown away. Just blown away. Live footage like you've never seen. The Beatles and Stones in the studio, and in live performance. And that's just the start.

It seems there will be a "Sixties" series on CNN produced by Tom Hanks.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
i really dug it too. some amazing footage for sure!

brain21

I thought it was supposed to air on Fen9th, the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles on Ed Sullivan?

mrbungel

I thought it was supposed to air on Fen9th, the 50th Anniversary of The Beatles on Ed Sullivan?
I was thinking that too.
It's not all Beatles, but they were the main focus.
So, it aired last week and it was very cool.
The Who
The Kinks
The Animals
The Yardbirds
The Hollies
Gerry and the Pacemakers
and a few more.

Anywhoooooo,
a few days ago, Ringo and Paul taped
a "Beatles 50th" show,
with a bunch of artists doing Beatles covers,
and it will be shown Sunday Feb 9th.

Been looking forward to something on that date,
but it doesn't look promising.
I guess we can't expect much after 50 years
with half the band gone.

Bless the Beatles anyway..........

One of the GOOD things about being old,
I was there when that magic happened.
Saw a bunch of the footage when I was a kid.
But, it's still wonderful, the feelings
are still in my heart and soul.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
The 60's were a magical time to live through...and to experience the drastic change in popular music and society Beatlemania started was amazing and will likely never happen again. However, I do miss many who got in over their heads and didn't make it through the dark side of the 60's and, like the music, that dark side is sadly still being felt today.

marco polo

Being of that vintage, it was a great time for me personally. All was good, no worries and lots of live music around every corner.

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
You can't ( as far as I know ) pick when you are born...
But I feel so fortunate to have been born in the early 50s and to have entered puberty precisely as the Beatles appeared and then all that came after.

What a magical time to grow up in. I think that probably much of that magic, which infused most of us throughout that time, has to a large degree molded us and remains as part of our core to this day... And I am very grateful for that. All of that music... feels like part of my heart.. part of me.

Last edited:

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Looks like its to be re-run tonight on CNN.
DVR is ready!

custom53

I remember it first hand.. That is when I started playing guitar..! And I probably liked the Dave Clark Five just as much as The Beatles..!
And their American Counterpart, Paul Revere and the Raiders.. Then after that The Who..

DWB1960

The Stones, by comparison, were almost lifeless in most of the clips. Made me think Mick Taylor is probably most responsible for their legacy -- w/o that run of albums w/ him they would have faded long ago.
I think Jimmy Miller may have played an even bigger role with that string of classic albums.

Kenny Blue

Silver Supporting Member
I loved the Beatles... their music was like family to me. Their early albums were the soundtrack to my life when I was 12 - 15 years old. Another British band that I really loved was the Yardbirds.

If you think of it the Yardbirds were definitely another band that so influenced music to follow. Their renditions of many previous Blues tunes as well as their original songs... and the three monster players that emerged from that band... Clapton, Beck, and Page, of course not solely but in large part defined what rock became after that.

If I had to narrow the most influential British bands from the 60s I would have to name 4 . The Beatles, Yardbirds, Stones, Cream and The Who.

One might even consider, in some ways, the Jimi Hendrix Experience as a British import as well. Jimi's greatness was his own and very American of course, but the band did have 2 (of 3) British members. And not until Jimi established himself and became huge in England, with the help of Chas Chandler, and then came back to "be discovered" in the U.S. at Monterey did he become huge in the States, and worldwide.

Trending Topics