The Slate "Everything Bundle"...your input, please?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Terry McInturff, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

This looks like a good investment and I'd like YOUR opinion. A one-year lease for $15/month for everything extant and to be released during the year.

Ive not checked the sound samples in my control room yet and in addition have never used any Slate plugs. What say you?

Thanks as always in advance!
    Terry

2. feet

feet Supporting Member

pretty good, man. library expanding at no cost. they have something to address most things you'd need in your day-to-day. they work well with each other. good mix of bread and butter and whiz-bang stuff. its fairly comprehensive and fairly affordable. as long as you use it enough to get your money's worth, it is hard to argue against.

thought the presets were a little aggressive for my taste. and they are expensive to buy if you prefer that route. and sales and discounts aren't super common. it was a mild bitch to install and set everything up, and reconcile everything between your computer, your daw, gobbler and whatever the other damn thing was. and some people are weird about the ilok, but i don't see it as an issue if you only use one computer and have an extra usb slot available. they even give you the stupid dongle for free.

my subscription is suspended because i don't have time for it right now, and i bought other plugs to more or less replicate what i had with the slate bundle. but i was cool with them, and would do it again.

3. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Thank you! :)

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I’m a big fan.

el capitan likes this.
  5. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

For us the deal is amazing - the plugins are okay. But we do not like iLok.
    As @feet mentioned - we did not enjoy the setup nor the fixing all the bugs
    to get everything to talk to everything.

Between the Waves bundles and The Slate - I still prefer the Waves.
    Slate stuff tends to be way too hyped for our ears. Although in a mix
    it can work quite well. Dave my engineer felt that his ears were
    fatigued quite quickly with Slate - Waves not so much.

Out of all the plugs around - our preference is the UA Bundles
    that come with the Apollo Interfaces.

PBGas likes this.
  6. jmoose

jmoose Supporting Member

Hard to argue the price vs value but I've been kinda underwhelmed the handful times I've used them. I also don't think that they sound very much like the gear they're intended to model. YMMV. Not to say they're bad or unusable or anything like that. Everything pretty much does what its supposed to without surprises.

If you don't already have other good plugs its hard to go wrong at $150 a year for the subscription... and as someone who's spent thousands on software only to have companies abandon the product or go out of business I do like the subscription model and pricepoint. That's probably the most attractive part.

7. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Its the best deal going for the home recordist. I am not able to compare them to the plugs from waves or UA, but they are MILES better than the freeware plugs on the market that I have been using for years. There are just so many ways to add a little personality to a track. The mic preamp/console sims are awesome to me.

It's also nice that you can pause your subscription, so I only sign up when I have a song or project to mix. To have access to good quality plugs for a couple of months for 30 bucks is totally worth it. For me, they were easy to install and use on a windows 7/reaper system.

8. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I use a lot of different plugs. UAD is my top preference, followed by the Slate and SoundToys stuff. I have everything for all of em so no shortage finding the right thing. I do have many others but just select ones from other companies for a specific job that are better than any other emulations. Such as the Waves LA3A. I think that's the best out there of that type. I find that I can get to the same place but sometimes it takes more Slate plugins than UAD to get to the desired sound. I use the VTM more than the UAD stuff just for instance count/DSP usage. I've been using it for years and gets what I need. The UAD tape emulations are great but I use them a bit more sparingly and usually the ATR102 across the 2buss. The Verbsuite reverb is really good... really great for Snares.

Bottom line for the money the Everything Bundle is a good deal and you can do a whole mix with just that.

9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

If you have the time - check out the Logic included plugins.
    I like them quite a bit - and they sound and work as you
    might expect. Plus you can't beat the price.

macdolfan904 likes this.
  10. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

The Slate plugins are pretty good. So are plugs from Waves. And UAD and MOTU and Logic and blah blah blah.

Getting a good sound isn't the result of stumbling across the perfect magical plug in. It's the result of knowing how your tools work.

AndyZ, macdolfan904, Crowder and 2 others like this.
  11. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

I've got lots of Waves plugs, but tend to grab the Slate stuff first. The VTM tape emulator and VSC reverb are practically worth the price of admission. You'll still likely want Pultec and API type EQs, as well as an LA2A or 3A type compressor. Hopefully they'll address those deficiencies in future updates.

12. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

I don't rent plug-ins, but if you do be sure to render all tracks that have them enabled after final mix.

Dubious and Crowder like this.
  13. crossbones

crossbones Member

After years of doing this for a living, I'm finally getting close to completely eliminating analog gear.
    I was an early adopter of Slate products and perpetually own several of his plugs.
    I am not sold on most things in the everything bundle, but for $179 a year, the ones I do like are a steal.
    Back when we first got ProTools, a lot of the plugins were $700-$1200. Each. A lot of them would be abandoned at software/OS upgrade time.
    You justified it because you had $150K worth of analog gear that could only be patched on a single channel.

I was going through my redundant plugins last night, and realized I can get rid of about 450 of them.
    People like Slate, Soundtoys and Waves have put tools in everyones hands that were impossible to attain 15 years ago.
    I almost didn't re-up my Slate subscription this year as none of my mixes from last year had any of his plugs on them....not because they are no good or anything, I just like mixing it up.
    I ended up re-upping after I got a bunch of mix work where the customer had a lot of Slate plugs on everything.

I think it's a pretty good deal, and you can always re-up monthly if you just need to recall some old mix or something.

Crowder and Cruciform like this.
  14. Dobb

Dobb Supporting Member

Sceptical at first...

Love.

Crowder likes this.
  15. Genghis

Genghis Supporting Member

I used to be in the UAD camp, but sold my card and plugins a couple of years ago. I now have various plugin packs from Melda, FabFilter, and some Waves stuff. I keep coming back to the Slate VMR for my main channel strips though. The addition of the FG-Stress was huge. My favorite character compressor currently. The various tube and vintage pres it has are also pretty good, as well as the EQs it includes. Virtual tape machine is one that i use here and there as well, and the delay is a great sounding unit for more standard and easy to set up delay sounds. The reverb is nice, but I have several to choose from there. And you can't forget those buss compressors. Sometimes they really fit on a drum buss or even as a light buss compressor on the Master. I really like the Slatre package overall, and don't miss my UAD stuff much these days.

16. feet

feet Supporting Member

after finally getting to use it after completely ignoring it when I had the subscription- scuffham sgear is pretty solid for guitar tones, especially if your latency low enough that you could play and track with it on. it doesn't really do metal, but the cleans are nice.

for an after thought throw in to the bundle, some real value there. I'm going to keep exploring it; if I decide to keep it I'll be conflicted about buying it outright for 130 or reupping with slate.

and god help you if you cancel your subscription and then try to open an old project later. you can do it all over, sure, but it'll take forever to go through the stupid "I can't find this plug" prompts from your daw and ilok for each instance of each plug. so annoying.

17. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

Love Slate plug ins. Use them on every session i do these days. Not exclusively, but more than other plug in manufacturers. I am also heavily invested in UAD, Soundtoys, Eventide and Waves, among others. Slate makes great stuff!