• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Smithereens Appreciation Thread

With all the relatively recent "appreciation" threads, I thought I'd start my own. Last week I had the iPod on shuffle and came across some Smithereens stuff- every once in a while I rediscover those 3 1980s records and remember just how awesome they were.

When I first heard of them- the Especially For You album, it was a great "alternative" to the "jangle-pop" college-y stuff I knew of and I loved that sound. At the time I heard a real big resemblance to REM.

I still love Mike Mesaros' bass playing. He had a great sound and a great way of making things move. I still try to play like that and if more bass players were able to play like that- it would be a good thing.

I like the overall feel of the songs, and that 60's poppy type thing they had going on. I got Blow Up when it came out and it was too poppy for me- and I saw them in 94 or so, they seemed to be more of a parody of a rock band by that point and I really had no inclination to hear any new stuff. But I also got to see them around 2003 or so- and that was a great kick-ass rock show. Last year I went on a Smithereens kick after loading the records into the iPod, and I've been on another one for the past week or so.

Anyone else a fan?

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I had, what was it called Blood and Roses (?) in high school (circa 1986) and loved it.

I haven't kept up much with them, but I love the band.

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
It's kind of funny you brought this up as I recently uploaded "Girl like You" to my ipod and in short that's just an all around "Incredible" song I just can't enough of!

?&!

"Behind the Wall of Sleep" and "Blood and Roses" slay me. My friend Kerry Tucker writes with Pat DiNizio pretty frequently. Great stuff!!!

I'm in. Mos def a top-10 (maybe 5?) band for me. Doom and gloom lyrics over jangle-pop - gotta love it. I'd love to meet DiNizio sometime.

'70 RS

Absolutely love those two songs. Smithereens are one of those bands that I honestly cant think of a single song of theirs that I don't like.

Well she held a bass guitar and
She was playing in a band and
She stood just like Bill Wyman
Now I am her biggest fan

Jade
You left out the best line:

She had hair like Jeanie Shrimpton back in 1965.....

Release

Big fan back in the 80's but I lost track of them after that. They played at an outdoor fair near us last year and I was blown away at how great the show was. I'll definitely see them again. They have a new bass player but he's just as good. Great band.

jmecale72

I had a buddy of mine who introduced me to the Smithereens in high school. After all these years, they STILL rock! :dude

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
I really liked that album "11" when it came out, killer guitar tone on that song "Girl Like You". Lost track of them after that though.

Joe Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
I saw them at the Hollywood Palladium in August of 1990. It was 5000 degrees inside and they rocked hard. I mean rocked hard as in Judas Priest hard. Just an ass kicking rock n'roll show. I loved it.

There was nothing new wave in thier approach in any way, other than the short songs and short solos.

At that point they had ditched the Rickenbackers for a Gibson SG (J. Babchak) and a Strat (Dinizio) But the Marshalls were in full utilization.

Loop-Master

"Girl Like You" was my first homework assignment in the first band I was ever in. Took the cassette home and learned it note-for-note. Fun to play!

?&!

DiNizio told my friend Kerry that Black Sabbath was the biggest musical influence on the Smithereens. I love the fact that I never would have noticed unless he mentioned it, but it's plain as day once you know.

Trending Topics