The Smithereens appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jmecale72, Jul 28, 2009.

1. jmecale72

jmecale72 Member

Lately I've been going back and listening to The Smithereens again. I used to listen to back in high school and the music is still fresh and relevant to me even today.

Anyone else listen to this fine quartet??

2. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

pat dinizio gave me some funny advice and $20 when i was a kid working for SIR.
    great band that should've gotten more $ (or at least more notoriety) when nirvana ripped off "blood and roses".

3. ROKY

ROKY Member

Behind the wall of sleep !!!!

4. jay42

jay42 Member

A friend of mine ran into them about 5 years ago. They were all very healthy, pleasant and easy going. Did they stop writing hits for some clear reason or did the industry just change too fast?

5. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Whenever I start feeling too cocky, I remind myself that for about 3 years I thought "The Blues Before And After" was a Kings X song...

:messedup

I love The Smithereens, they get regular airplay around Chez Tub.

6. Shane S

Shane S Member

I really enjoy their music. They should have had more success than they did.

7. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Member

Funny...I just found their CD in my trunk a week ago and popped it in the changer....Good stuff and great guitar tones!!:JAM

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

Pat lives by me. He ran for local government a year or so ago. Unfortunately his health is not so good as he ballooned to about 300lbs. I haven't seen him for a while so perhaps he shed it.
    I saw him do a one man gig in front of the local library armed with just a Strat. Great songwriter.

Best, Pete.

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

Pat at 300lb is an unfathomable visual, for me . .

10. trisonic

trisonic Member

I found this photo. As it is from earlier this year I believe his weight was on its' way down.........the guy was sick, some kind of thyroid complaint.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2355948

Sorry that was the best pic I could find at short notice...........

Best, Pete.

11. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I purely do love the way Pat writes and the band kills. I would love to have seen them in their day.

A while back Pat was doing a thing where you could co-write with him. Send him lyrics or music (or maybe even both?) and he'd fill in the missing parts, maybe fix stuff? I always wanted to send him something to get his take on it and so I could tell myself I was co-writing with him. I haven't seen anything about that recently, so I'm assuming it's not still going on, but what a neat and generous thing for someone of his skill and history to do.

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

Another thing he did was upon the purchase of his book,(I believe, I'm not 100% certain), you got an invite around to his house for a party!

Best, Pete.

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

Thanks, Pete ,, hope he gets that under control thru meds,etc.

14. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I stole this cassette from a store back back in 1989 when I was a freshman in high school... awesome power pop from NJ....

[​IMG]

15. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I've seen them several times, what a great great band. Nice guys to talk to as well.

16. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

I saw them in the fall of '90 at Norton Auditorium in Florence, Alabama (we actually got some good shows there, go figure). They were one of the best live bands I have ever seen, up there with KISS, The Ramones, The Scorpions, The Who... they were incredible.

17. sonvolt

sonvolt Member

Saw them a few years ago at the House of Blues in Chicago. They rocked...i love Jim's solos too. Very tight band !

18. Analog Delay

Analog Delay I Judge Books By Covers Silver Supporting Member

The Smithereens were awesome. I can't think of another band that they sound like or a band that sounds like them. Truly unique pop/rock.

19. loudboy

loudboy Member

Great band.

They played for free here about 5 years ago.

It was sort of weird when Pat broke a string and didn't have a spare guitar, or a guy to change it for him. They pretty much stopped the show and he had some guy from the audience change it for him while they did a ballad.

The guy finished and brought the guitar out to him, and Pat said - "Thanks, man, now get the f#*k off my stage!" Joking, but it was pretty funny.

The second half of the show was almost all requests.

Pat was really big then, hope he gets his health together.

20. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I love the Smithereens.

Mike Mesaros is the cat's pajamas. I would love to play like that. He's always busy, but not overbearing. He's not noodling, he's not soloing- everything he does is or supports the melody and the song, not it's own separate thing.

I've seen the Smithereens twice. Once in around 94. I really didn't like that show. They were trying to be slick, like a Vegas type thing. But I saw them again in 2003 or so, and that's when they were back to being a kickass rock and roll band. That's the Smithereens I loved seeing and hearing.