The Snake Oil--->Back to DR's Test

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tone slave, Jul 18, 2008.

1. tone slave

tone slave Member

After using Snake Oil Original Vintage strings on my Tele for a while, I decided to try a lighter set of strings (I had been using 11-15-20-32-42-54) so rather than waste a set of Snake Oil's I figured I'd use DR Pure Nickel strings (11-14-18-28-38-50)-- can't be THAT much different, right?

Goddammit the Snake Oils are so much nicer that the DR's. I don't know what I was thinking or expecting, certainly not THAT big of a difference for sure. And I don't think what I'm hearing has to do with the lighter strings-- the DR's just sound "cloudier" to me. I checked my setup, and did have to loosen the truss rod just a hair (DAMN IT, FENDER, PUT THE TRUSS ROD ADJUSTMENT ON THE HEADSTOCK FOR CHRISSAKES!!! :BITCH I know it's a vintage reissue, but geez!!). but I don't think it has anything to do with setup. It sounds like going from vinyl to mp3.

At least DR's are a lot cheaper so I won't feel as bad taking them right off.

2. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

I liked Snake Oil strings, but after ordering two sets of 10 packs each, and all the windings coming over the saddles, I had to move on.:(

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I've resisted trying them due to all the tales out there on how waiting for your order to be filled is like Waiting for Godot. If my trusty ole D'Addarios were letting me down I might try a set but they're working for me and obtainable instantly in any locale.

4. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I bought into the hype and bought some. Didn't like them at all. They work for a lot people though.

5. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

I must not have that discernable an ear...I've tried the 'boutique' strings like SO's, DR' but just went back to D'ads when I couldn't tell a bit of difference between any of them.

6. doublee

doublee Member

Maybe it was the pure nickel? I just tried some yesterday, (diff brand) and took them right off. They have a wierd EQ to my ears. Put Thomasteks "infeld" back on.

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Ditto. Plus, some friends I respect have had new SOS break on them at gigs during the first set. And more than once. At that point, the disadvantages outweighed the benefit. That never happens with my D'Addarios. I use them for at least three gigs, and they never break (11-49).

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The string you guys need to try is the D'Addario Pro Steel's, what a great string. They just came out with these, I took a chance and am really impressed.

9. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I had no idea there were 'boutique' strings! What is the main plus of Snake Oils over the standard D'ad/Ernie Balls etc ?

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I didn't care for the Snake Oils.

Oh btw, the truss rod at the heel can be a good thing. For some, easy access is not good. I prefer the look and let my guitars be, if the neck moves a tad, no biggie. Don't have to adjust for every little change.

11. doublee

doublee Member

Arent these VERY bright?

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Actually, this is what I was expecting but they are not harsh. Maybe brighter but the intonation sounds far better, for $5 what do you have to lose.

13. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Bought plenty of Snake Oil strings and had no problems at all. I like them. That said I've found Curt Mangan strings to be more accessible and like them just as well. D'Addario's are what I usually stock up on. I try everything though and just picked up some Optima strings which I like allot so far. They're a bit pricey to be my go to brand however.

14. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Hell yeah I want the trussrod access in the heel...On snake oils they take months to get and aren't that great. I prefer Pyramid Max Performance or D'Addario Pure Nickel, always in stock and you don't have to beg the seller to get them.

15. nik

nik Member

Considering price and consistency, its hard to beat D'Addario strings IMO. Although I do use the wound strings from Thomastik 14 gauge sets on my archtops. They last forever for me and I don't change them very often so its easy for me to justify the extra cost. BTW, I hate the Thomastik unwound strings though, so I throw those away and replace them with a D'Addario unwound 13 and 17 for the high E and B which makes the set closer in gauge to a standard 13-56 guage set from other manufactuers like D'Addario...

16. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I will be able to let you know about Snake Oils...WHEN I GET THEM!

I ordered, I dunno three weeks ago?

I feel like a sap for listening to the corksters on this one.

17. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

I thought the Snake Oils were OK...broke more strings than I'm used to(I almost never break strings).Didn't notice much tonal difference.

Went back to the DRs.
    Happy now.

18. cugel

cugel Member

i guess i was lucky to get my SOs
    all nickel version
    best strings i have ever come across
    but maybe quality is waivering???...
    still have 4 sets left

19. Blueser

Blueser Member

Kendrick sells nickel strings that are supposedly made by the same guy with the same exact material and process as the old Scalar strings (now Snake Oil Brand). You may want to try those out if you can't get a hold of the SOS brand in a timely enough manner.

I bought a case of these from Kendrick, and not only are they every bit as good sounding as the SOS strings, but they last as long, and I have had less breakage. Additionally, each set comes with an extra E and B unwound strings.

20. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I've tried D'Addario (thin), GHS Nickel (ok), Thomastik (different types, all nice), Pyramid (harsh). But the SOB nickels are the ones that sound best to me and add 20 years to the guitar. Out of 20 or so packs, 1 string broke - oddly, the low E.