The Song Remains The Same vs The Song Remains The Same

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by frankencat, Dec 27, 2009.

1. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Ok, I am a little late to the party but I just got the new "remastered/remixed" version of TSRTS and I love the sound quality but I have to give a huge WT*?? on the editing. I know about Eddie Edward's website explaining all of the various cuts and edits (http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/). Very cool breakdown but really, you don't need it to hear the edits, some of them are just so un-cool it's amazing. I have been listening to TSRTS since it's initial release and in fact it is probably my favorite live RnR record of all time. I am kind of torn on the new one. Anybody else?

P.S. I have the second and third nights of The Garden Tapes and I need the first night if anybody has it. I know it is not complete. Thanks -Frank

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I grew up listening to the original version. I don't care at all for the new one.

3. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

They screwed the pooch bigtime on Dazed & No Quarter (the latter is like 2 minutes shorter and cuts out that cool Bonham/Jonesy interplay before Page's solo). But the rest of it is an improvement, certainly the sound Q is way better. I just ripped the old CD and have both versions - wish I had the old No Quarter in this new sound quality tho.

4. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I had the original...on 8 track. Somehow never sounds right without the Ka-chink! in the middle of longer cuts as it switches tracks...but that in a GTO convertible on a warm and sunny day in the countryside, yessuh!

DS

5. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I always noticed the differences between the album and the movie, there were some great parts on the album that were cut out of the movie especially on No Quarter, and Dazed and Confused. I haven't heard the new yet, but I'll get it soon, if it's closer to the album versions, I'll be happy.

6. vikingrat

vikingrat Member

I have both but really prefer the original. The solo on Celebration Day for example with all the country type picking is gone on the new one. Plus something goes on during Dazed And Confused that dosn't sound right to me at all.