The sonic array... a.k.a. the search for tone.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mojocaster.com, Jul 15, 2008.

1. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

The way I look at it, there are three main tone factors in this here equation that we are all, in our way, trying to solve.

1. Your hands/fingers. I elected a while ago to not use a pick, so that has an impact on my tone. I play both with nails and with the tip of my fingers, depending on how "snapping" I want the tone to be.

2. The amps. I have "standardized" on Dr Z for now, because it's the best ratio of cost/quality I could find while staying true to the tone I have in my head. Frankly, between the Mini Z and the Carmen Ghia heads, I get all the tones *I* need.

3. The guitars. While the wood does have some impact on the overall tone, it's really all about the pickups. For example, I have a Tele w/ a Mahogany body and a carved maple top. Guess what: it sounds nothing like a Les Paul :D
    So back to the pickups. i decided a while back to get me a guitar w/ each pickup configuration I like. So I started with the SRV strat for the 3-single coil approach.

[​IMG]

Se's the second from the right...

With that done, I wanted a Tele w/ two pickups that would be great for blues. Enters the MojoTwanger w/ a set of Fralin Blues Specials.

[​IMG]

But then again, I really like me them TV Jones pickups, so I figured... what better than a Tele w/ a Lollar 52 in the bridge, and a TV Jones in the neck, along w/ a four-way switch?

[​IMG]

And then, it came to me... P90 love, that is. Yeah, what's better than a dual P90 guitar? One with three of them, of course! Please say hello to the Anderson Cobra w/ three Harmonic Design P90s...

[​IMG]

She has a 5-way strat-like switch, and w/ the pull tone knob, you can add the bridge pickup to any of the combinations available. Dang sweet.

... yet when I play her, maybe because of the Tele shape, I often wish I had a Tele bridge pickup and a P90 neck. Well, Scott Lentz sure makes gorgeous guitars, so why not give it a shot?

[​IMG]

Well, once you went P90, you might as well go all out and get yourself some humbuckers... so here's a set of DiMarzio Vintage Hots in a gorgeous Don Grosh Hollow Carve Top T:

[​IMG]

Yup, she's sweet, all right, but she needed a friend w/ more aggressive pickups... a set of Manlius were procured as part of this lovely David Thomas McNaught Single Cut Jr:

[​IMG]

So... what's next?

Well, I am thinking that I need the following:

1. A traditional T-style. I am thinking a Rice Custom - www.ricecustomguitars.com
    2. A keef-like set up of T-style bridge and HB neck... for that I want a Trussart Steelcaster.
    3. A hollow body or semi-hollow. I'd like a Collings, but at $4k used, I may just have to get a Gibson ES-339. They're tons of fun. I also would love one of those Gibson Chet Atkins ones, though they're hard to find.
    4. A T-style w/ a tele bridge and mini hum neck. Another one I'd like to get the Rice folks to build me.
    5. A T-style w/ a Tele bridge pickup and a Charlie Christian-type pickup in the neck. A lollar or a Vintage Vibe Guitars one would work perfectly. Another call to the Rices, maybe?

Phew, GAS is still alive and well! :D

2. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Hey, I love that paisley Tele! Homebuilt?

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Crook body, USACG neck, pickups as described. I bought it off of a fellow forumite here. He builds awesome guitars. I look forward to buying from him again :)

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Nice collection man. Better you than me! I don't think I can hold that much GAS.:D

5. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

ha ha, I hear you... I should spend more time practicing and less time worrying about whether I have that elusive next guitar ;)

6. bynt

bynt Member

mmmm. Paisley!!!!

7. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Would you describe the tones you're getting with that Lentz w/ the p90?

8. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Yeah, it's always good for the soul :)

9. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

This sounds more like the search for guitars than the search for tone; it's all good though! :D

-Austin

10. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I will receive it tomorrow, so I will make a video as soon as I receive her :)

11. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

You may just have a point there, friend :D