The sound in your head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Slashaholic Anonymous, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Slashaholic Anonymous

Slashaholic Anonymous Supporting Member

Just happened for me. The sound in my head was the same sound coming out of my amp. Picked up a Marshall DSL50 used locally (older gentleman liquidating a lifetime of amps- got to play through a '59 Super Lead cranked up through an old Marshall cab after checking out the DSL50. Also a life changing experience).

Brought it home and have been jamming through the amp for an hour or two. Still honeymoon phase, I know, but it's the the sound I've been wanting to hear for a long time. Doesn't matter which guitar. PRS, Les Paul, Tele.

Where were you when the sound coming out of your amp was the same as the sound in your head? Which amp, guitar, etc.?

2. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

Congratulations! It is a great experience when our gear gets out of the way of the music.

Fortunately, that has happened multiple times for me.

My current set-up is a Marshall Studio 15, clean boost, OD, analog delay and a PRS Cu22.
    As long as an amp will give me a good base crunch tone, and cleans up by lowering the guitar's volume, I am okay.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Well, the sound in my head changes sometime.. I'll usually get another type of speaker to try.. I used to just sell the amp...

PBGas and ant_riv like this.
  4. slybird

slybird Member

I did with one project, but it took a while. It was like magic. Female singer, cello player, my guitar, a second guitar, and drums. I had everybody's range, instrument, and playing ability in my head and could write for that project without hearing the impossible. I think I could do it again if I find a project I liked enough and stayed together long enough. Most of the time I've never learned enough about the people I was working with to make what was in my head a reality. The project dissolved before it got to that point.

The sounds in my head are the notes and chords, not a single instrument. I make the sound in my head match the gear I am using at the time, the people I am working with, their gear, and their ability. If I am writing a song I make the vocal range match the singer that will be singing the song. I will plug their voice into what I am hearing. The sound in my head is the full band, not just my single instrument. It does me no good to get something in my head that I can't realize.

As far as tones. I can imagine a lot of tones. More than any single amp could produce.

As far as playing, like hearing the notes come out of my fingers exactly as they come out of my head, like talking and having the thought come out clear and concise in a conversation. It happened a few times on stage, maybe a few times in practice, but most of the time it comes out not exactly like I hear it, there is always that one note or rhythm that does not match what is in my head. Usually I have memorized what I am going to say before I say it, but try to make it seem as though it is a new thought.

5. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

The sound in my head has basically been VH 1 since 1978.. curse you EVH.

dcooper830, ccoker, buddy62 and 4 others like this.
  6. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Fair Warning tone for me, and yes I get your frustration...:mob
    After owning TONS of gear up till this point, I am more convinced than ever that the gear is secondary.

7. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

It's happened on a few occasions.
    First was the first time i tried my new Ceriatone 2061 clone. Plugged straight in, turned up the amp, turned down the guitar and played the into to Live Wire by ACDC. Instantly knew I'd made a quantum leap from the mass produced channel switchers and OCD into a HRD days.
    Second was the day I had a friend over to compare his modern,reasonably expensive boutique 'Marshall killer' to my modern, very expensive boutique 'Marshall killer'. We had been happily comparing away for a couple of hours when the delivery man came by with a stock 1980 JMP 2203 that I had scored for a ridiculously good price.
    Put everything on noon except the Presence and Master, big A chord on a SG and knew, without a doubt, that I had found the sound in my head and that the expensive US boutique would be sold.

8. ECHaydo

ECHaydo Member

In the guitar store with a 52 AVRI tele and a Dr. Z Z-Wreck. To be fair I was on a really big Brad Paisley kick, but damn....it was a memorable feeling to hear exactly what I wanted to hear.

9. B Money

B Money Member

the closest I've come (and it's very close) is with my Ecstasy 101b blue channel, boost on, gain around 2 o'clock, Les Paul with a JB in the bridge.

Let's just say that amp is appropriately named.

Slashaholic Anonymous likes this.
  10. demea26

demea26 Member

Funny, the sound in my head I always thought was some sort of 70's Marshall. I guess it still is one of my favorites, but I picked up an AC30C2 recently and learned that this amp satisfies most of those sounds

EDIT - To the OP, I've owned and gigged DSL50 and DSL100's, too and they're phenomenal amps for the $$$

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  11. plawren53202

plawren53202 Member

Hey OP, not to take your thread in a different direction than intended, but I am curious what the "sound in your head" was that the DSL50 satisfied? I have been looking at the DSL line (smaller end, like the 40 or smaller), because I _think_ it might match one of the sounds in my head, an 80s Marshall hair-band-type tone. (The other sound in my head has always been the jangly chimey crunch of a lot of 90s pop rock, which my AC30 satisfies well, not surprisingly given that a lot of those bands used AC30s).

12. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Just as an aside to the post above mine; the dsl50 and 100 are totally different animals than the 20 and 40 watt combos. The 50 and 100 heads are excellent amps, the combos not so much imo.

sugarlou likes this.
  13. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I had a similar experience recently with both my Marshall 401 and Splawn Street Rod, where I really had no desire for the crispiness that both are capable of, but have now found myself thoroughly addicted to the point that sometimes I'm not even practicing, but just listening to the chimy crunch and deliberately playing stuff that accentuates it.

14. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

I have many sounds in my head! But my most recent amp acquisition, a Avatar 45 head, seriously knocked me on my **s! I'm really into the classics, Blackmore, Page, ABB, Trower ect. And the 45 through my 1x12 loaded with a v30 nails those tones even at lower volumes. Don't get me wrong, I still love and get great tones with my express 5 50, but the Avatar is way more vintage sounding. Now I just need either a '63 Vibroverb ri or a Bassman ri, a Power Station and a few more cabs and I'll be relatively set. (At least for a little while!)

15. Slashaholic Anonymous

For me, the sound was the classic crunch and bark of a genuine Marshall, and the DSL series really has it in spades. I'm definitely a GnR, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, etc fan, so right in line with 80's hair band style you referred to. Believe those bands played hot-rodded or at least boosted JCM 800's. Plenty of folks will say the DSL series sounds very different from the 800's. Others disagree. Personally, in 2-3 hours I've had to play through my DSL, I was immediately able to dial in spot-on 80's Rock tones ("the sound in my head").

The green channel (clean/crunch) set to crunch nails lower gain crunch tones a la AC/DC. The red channel takes you straight into GnR, Crue, etc territory.

Obviously it's best to try it out before buying, but I think the DSL series will do EXACTLY the sound you're after.

Edited to add: But, as mentioned above, I have heard that DSL combos sound different from the heads. I used to own a DSL 15 and while it was a good sounding amp, it definitely didn't have the tone and mojo of the 50.

dcooper830 and therealjoeblow like this.
  16. Slashaholic Anonymous

Was at a show this weekend where a guy was playing through an AC30. A sweet tone it had indeed!

17. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

My Marshall TSL60 half stack with a 1960A cab and my 1982 Dean Z Baby =sound in my head.

18. Brian N

Brian N Member

The first time I played a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. That was probably around 8 years ago. I've still never bought one...it's just too much amp for playing in my bedroom or at church. I just cant justify buying it. And their "mini rec" is not even close, I dont know why they even named it that. I prefer a good combo anyway, my Marshall JCM2000 DSL sounds really, really nice.

19. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Turn the hiwatt up to 10 and there will only be one sound left in your head!

20. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

1st time this happened to me was when I plugged my '69 Les Paul Deluxe straight into a dimed '65 Ampeg Gemini 1. It was magical!