The sounds of different vibe units.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Python, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Python

Python Member

I just got a KR Megavibe small and have a few questions for those who have tried a number of different vibes.

When I turn the Megavibe on with the chorus / vibrato switch set to vibrato, the sound is very clear but not much "vibe". When I put the switch on chorus, it has more of a "vibe" sound but becomes muddy sounding, i.e., all the highs are gone. It sounds great for lead but not too good for rhythm.

Is this normal? Do other vibes do this?

My only experience with a vibe is the CC2's provibe. With that one set on chours/vibe, there is a very lush "vibe" but the highs are still present during the sweep.

I was wondering if I don't have something set up right of if this particular vibe just sounds that way. Does the larger KR Megavibe sound different?

Anyway, I'm trying out different vibes to see what they sound like.

Thanks

2. drolling

drolling Member

All I ever wanted out of a vibe was to get that sound that Jimi had in Band of Gypsies, and maybe the sound of Trower circa 'Bridge of Sighs'.

All of the vibes I've used could more or less cop that sound, but my Sweetsound Ultra does it best. It is a *thick* sound- there's probably a bit of attenuation of both the lows & the highs, but that's what it's supposed to sound like, IMO.

I never use it w/o overdrive, and usually fuzz too, and I've never even tried the vibrato setting on any vibe I've owned. Some don't have a vibrato setting, either; the VoodooLab MicroVibe & the Dano ChickenSalad, for example. I also had the Dunlop, which was the coolest looking, but the worst sounding..

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Hmm, I have my Megavibe and love it. In my opinion the Chorus side is very lush and thick. Maybe you just like a lot of highs??? dunno, but I think the Megavibe has the same amount of highs as the Mojo. That use to be the vibe that I would base all vibes beside of.

When put into the vibe setting the sound is different, not like the under water swirly sound. To achieve the vibe sound that we hear a lot with the underwater effect one needs to stay on the chorus channel.

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The classic Uni-Vibe sound is the Chorus setting, not the Vibrato mode (as you likely know). Perhaps set your amp w/ your guitar's tone knob turned down a bit, so you can roll it up for when the 'Vibe is on - ?

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

The Uber Vibe (Retroman) might be worth checking out since it has filter controls, and a JFET feature to put some sparkle in the highs.

6. exodus

exodus Member

the mega will cut some hi end on the really slow settings. But vibes in general will change your eq.

Hell, if you want to sell it, drop me a line.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have no experience with specifically the KR (though what you wrote is contrary to all I've heard about it. Foklsk rave about it not affecting tone, and that it is one of the few vibes you can place anywhere in the chain and it sounds good...but it's all hearsay) vibe, but one thing about the "vibrato" setting.

Excuse me if this is too basic, I just don't know how familiar you are with vibes, so I don't mean to be pedantic here, but...

A vibrato is supposed to be exactly like if you had a real steady hand and wavered your notes while playing using the "tremolo" (misnamed) bar on your guitar. It is simply wavering the note sharp and flat alternately at whatever speed is set at. The point is, sometimes maybe you need to use the intensity knob set a little more intense to notice it, and it is not as "effecty" an effect as the chorus side is. Less noticeable.

One thing though...I have read many vibe reviews and almost invariably the person, if they mention the vibrato settings, mentions "I really can't see much use for the vibrato side".....YET...it strikes some people that way at first, but if you play with it some more....well, if you Hendrix,

Set it on vibrato, medium intensity and speed. Try playing "Hey Baby (Land of the New Rising Sun)" and get back to me. GOD...I've always wanted that sound. And in Hendrixy solos, set just a bit lighter, it just gives a guitar that little extra something, hard to define, but one of those effects you don't notice (except everything sounds good) until you turn it off.

There...I was thinking about keeping it as my secret since everyone seems to turn off on the vibrato side, but really...it is too good a trick to try and keep.

8. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

no, sell it to me! :D i dont have one and was going to order a small MV this week anyway.

9. Python

Python Member

I know and that is the reason I decided to try out the Megavibe. That's also the reason I was wondering if maybe there was an adjustment I needed to do or something similar.

I was under the impression that selecting the chorus just added some chorus to the vibe sound. When I select the chorus setting, it sounds like I just kicked in a wah wah pedal kicked it all the way back (bass only).
    The settings on my guitar and amp have plenty of high end without the Megavibe turned on with chorus.

I have tried the vibrato setting and it sounds great as noted, particularly with songs like Hey Baby. But the chorus sound is what I would use mostly.

Thanks for all your input. I'll contact the manufacturer and ask if there an internal setting that needs adjusting or maybe this just isn't the vibe for me. It does sound nice, I just need a little more high end for what I'm looking for.

Oh, since I just got the Megavibe I am still in the 10 day grace period so I don't think anyone would want to buy it from me. I can still return it to the manufacturer for a full refund (minus shipping, of course).

Thanks!

10. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

The big and small Mega Vibes sound identical. I spent some time A/B'ing the Mojo and the Mega and came to the conclusion that the Mojo is voiced a bit higher than the Mega. This higher frequencies give the Mojo a bit more phasiness and the lower frequencies give the Mega more throbbiness. The Mega seems to cop the vintage sound a little better for this very reason. You get more going on in the first octave of the guitar which helps with the "Bridge of Sighs" type of thing. Both are excellent vibes, just a little different.

11. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Hmmm... 5 out of your 6 total posts on this board are pushing Pigtronix effects. Could you perhaps be the manufacturer?

12. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. I think it's probably a good idea for vendors and manufacturers to put something in their sig. Otherwise it looks a little suspicious.

13. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

talked to Kevin of KR pedals today, real nice guy. im ordering my small Mega vibe tomorrow...along with a wah housing that he's going to mod to Jimi specs ala '' Burning of The Midnight Lamp,Woodstock, Berkley show, Lulu show,etc. '' he makes great stuff, i have the Doubler and love it! so i know the MV and wah will be killer.

:dude:RoCkIn

14. Python

Python Member

You're absolutely right. If I turn up the intensity past 12:00, the highs are back. I think I need to play around with the Megavibe a little more (glad I've got 10 days).

I wish I had a Mojo Vibe (my other choice) to compare it with. I have the feeling that the Megavibe or Mojo Vibe are the ones to choose from ... it just comes down to personal taste from there.

I just noticed that you live in Chicago ... you don't happen to have Mojo Vibe I could compare with do you :BEER

Thanks!

15. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

ii have been through many vibes and i had a similar experience as you. i found the mega vibe wasn't as clear as others and that the high end was a little lacking at the settings i used, and the bass a bit thin. in contrast, i thought the mojo was clearer, had more presence in the high end, and better bass retention.

however, i think they both have great tones - just different purposes. the mega is perfect for the gritty, swishy hendrix/woodstock kind of tones. but i prefer the mojo for the thick, clear, swirly vibe as in pink floyd.

fwiw, i sold the mega, but that's just because i prefer the mojo's mojo. :) i'm sure others would be better off with the mega.

16. Python

Python Member

Well, I just ordered a Mojo Vibe. I hope that brand suits my needs better. If I end up not liking the Mojo, I think I am going to give up on univibe clones.

Thanks for all the input!

17. seanthomas46

seanthomas46 Member

What about the Fulltone Deja Vibe (large gold one). How does that compare to say the Mojo or the KR Mega? I am in the market

18. Python

Python Member

I just wanted to make the comment that I decided to return the Megavibe but that is not a negative against KR Musical Products. Kevin was a joy to deal with and his 10 day return policy is accepted graciously.

Not every pedal is for everyone and, as it turns out, the Megavibe is just not what I'm looking for. It's a great pedal if that is the sound you want and I would encourage anyone looking into a univibe type pedal to give it a try. If it's not for you, you can return it for a full refund minus the shipping. You can't ask for more than that.

The Megavibe might be just the vibe you're looking for!

19. seanthomas46

seanthomas46 Member

Yeah, I guess a ping pong effect. But controllable. Just like the Chopper! Now I've found something else I've got to save for.
    That Boss seem's interesting, I look into it.
    Know any other's.
    Would a panning effect work with an extension cab?
    Anyone experienced?
    I guess I would basically have to find a tremolo with stereo outs for now right? I really want to find something that would give me a controllable (by wah type footpedal) pan from left to right through stereo amps (or amp and extension if possible?).