The Source Audio Ventris Reverb: it's in the wild... and it's AWESOME!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LordByron, Oct 20, 2016.

1. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

So, it is something of an open secret that SA is working on a Reverb unit in the same vein as its amazing Nemesis Delay. @rsmith601 over at SA has finally given his blessing to start a meaningful discussion of what folks would like to see in the reverb pedal when it comes out. (There were a couple of abortive early threads which were waived off as "too early".)

So folks: What's on your wish-list?

Edit: Update as of 7/13/17 -- here's updated info on the feature set straight from @rsmith601 (reposted here, so it doesn't just get buried). :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i sent this to Roger in a private message, and figured it'd be easier to just copy/paste it than try to re-write everything, haha...

as far as the 2 button options go, i think it'd be great to allow users to have 2 presets stored on top (similar to the setup for Dimensions and the Strymon Blue Sky). But, in addition to this, ALSO having the Nemesis 4/8 preset options (as well as MIDI) would make it even more versatile, so guys could have a pair of reverbs on tap and scroll through presets depending on songs or gigs. For myself, i almost always have 2 sounds dialed in, 1 to fill the room a bit and another that's more washed out/ambient like. Being able to switch between the 2 seamlessly on the face of the pedal would be a huge benefit, and I think would make this reverb a strong competitor against stuff like the Big Sky/Blue Sky in the same way the Nemesis is holding it's own against the El Capistan/Timeline (nothing against those pedals, they're fantastic, just speaking from a pure marketing standpoint here).

I'd also love to see the option of adding tremolo to the reverbs, but (if possible) not like the Nemesis where it's just on the repeats, but rather as an option for the clean signal as well. Even just a basic choice between square and sign waves would add a whole new level of options and versatility to the reverb. In addition to this being able to add other stuff like distortion and modulation to the reverbs would be fantastic too. Basically i'd love to see the overall creative/tweaking options that the Nemesis has being applied to the Reverb as well

Also, please be sure to include the routing options that the Nemesis has. I'm having a horrible time finding a reverb that automatically sums my signal to mono if i'm only using 1 output, and having a Source Audio Reverb that does this would be a life-saver for my rig.

I feel like i had more ideas, but i wanted to at least get these to you for now. Thanks for putting out such killer products!

3. LordByron

Just to start the ball rolling, I will throw out my two cents:

I am not really a shimmer kind of guy. The things that are most important to me (beyond the invevitable integration into SA's marvelous Hub ecosystem):
    1) Stereo Output
    2) First class Spring implementation with realistic "drip"
    3) First class Plate implementation (just to note, the Spring and the Plate engines in the SA Dimension Reverb are already VERY good... of course, there's always room for improvement! ;) )
    4) I have yet to come across a "Room" reverb from anyone that really does what I want. I am not a sound engineer, so I am not sure I have the full and proper vocabulary to describe what I want, but think of what Tony Visconti did on David Bowie's "Heroes" with the multiple gated mics in a resonant, plaster-walled hallway. If you could capture some of that mojo in a Verb, I would rollover dead with joy. :)

As I think through this, there will be doubtless more things I would like to see, but those are the starters for me. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Member

Similar layout to the Nemesis and a Spring reverb that doesn't suck. That's it.

5. danbond

danbond Member

A Delay+Reverb sound (RV3 Mode 7 vibe or even like the Hazarai where you can add delay to any reverb tone) - I think a one-button instant lead tone with delay+verb is super useful.

And some kind of 90s sounding reverbs too.

6. dmutter

dmutter Member

-I second the auto summing to mono if you only have one output plugged in. It's nice to leave your delay wired stereo to the reverb and just choose weather to run mono or stereo out of your reverb.
    -Buffered bypass
    -Computer app with 2-way communication for presets
    -If using back engines like the Nemesis, some sort of indicator to let you know you're on a back engine

NicDo, Prince, dickjonesify and 3 others like this.
  7. LordByron

A couple additions for my contribution to the wishlist:
    1) Adjustable modulation for a ModVerb engine
    2) ParticleVerb
    3) Cab sim (a la the Big Sky) (This may be a reach, but it is a pretty cool feature of the BS.)

dickjonesify likes this.
  8. Mr2D

Mr2D Member

Preset Spillover

9. LordByron

I especially like your last one. One of my few wishes with respect to the physical layout of the Nemesis is I wish that the LEDs on the rotary dial were dual color (red/green) to show whether you were using front or back engine and which one.

uburoibob and dmutter like this.
  10. Chance

Chance Member

I vote for an algorithm like Eventide's Blackhole and Strymon's Cloud :aok

11. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

+1 on routing options, particularly the ability to sum to mono. One thing I don't love about the Flint is that I have to take the pedal apart to switch to mono operation (or use another box to sum the signal)

Nemesis-style MIDI implementation, with MIDI In and Out/Thru and parameter control on dedicated CCs or mappable (this may be at least partially mooted by the coming update that allows MIDI mapping of all Neuro parameters)

A cab sim would be pretty great.

Apart from that:

12. Chance

Chance Member

Also maybe some lofi reverbs similar to the Alesis Quadraverb! I love my old Quadraverb just for reverbs...

13. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I e PM'd roger and the gang on this suggestion a LONG, LONG time ago, but I'll repeat it here:

A reverb engine (if not global control of all engines, similar to the modulation/wow and flutter and other controls on the nemesis), to do some pitch reverbs akin to the liquid ambience. Since the tap switch isn't needed on a reverb, tapping the footswitch could be used for a latching hold on the reverb tails. Then holding the footswitch could be like the more switch on the liquid ambience and ramp the pitch up/down slowly. I think this would be a really great feature, especially if it's used on all engines and not just one specific one.

I second the push for a line 6 style particle verb l, as well as strymon cloud, can't say I've heard the black hole but if it's massive sounding I'm in.

14. Chance

Chance Member

I agree! A latching hold would be awesome, and being able to choose if it just freezes the reverb and doesn't add in anymore as you play over it or if it is infinite and adds in every note you play to the latched reverb per preset would be great.

15. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

For those that don't know, this video shows off what I'm talking about pretty well.

16. Chance

Chance Member

For the Shoe Gaze/Post Rock guys maybe a reverb that incorporates a overdrive/distortion circuit after the reverb that way they can get their wall of sound reverb without having to use an overdrive pedal after their reverb

Prince, T-Wire, jnam and 3 others like this.
  17. GA20T

GA20T Member

Didn't know about this, but if I have one wish, it's that they really focus on natural sounding spring reverbs, and the ability to really shape those. Listen to a Magnatone 440, a nice old Ampeg combo, and a 6G15, and really get the warmth/smoothness/nuance of those down pat. I don't think anyone's done this yet, at least not that I've seen or heard.

No personal interest in the glimmer/shimmer/digital keyboard effect stuff for guitar, but I have a feeling that puts me in the minority around here.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    TheGuacamoleXplosion likes this.
  18. olejason

olejason Member

I want a whole bunch of "weird stuff." I have zero interest in realistic spring or safe generic reverbs.

19. Sean413

Sean413 Member

A out board Tone , and mod knobs

A reverb with a Oooooh or awwwwhhhh voice sound.

Maybe a plate or hall with latching but still has the verb going after a latch.

A cab sim loader that you can insert on certain presets via the app for management giving the option to those who need to tweak more

A auto swell feature would be nice.

If it were me I'd leave out the shimmer and leave as parameter you can add to any of the verb sounds via app giving everyone there preference.

A parallel reverb sound scape type that has a drive control.

20. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

I want them all Muhahahahahahaha!

So many thoughts. I shall compose them.

kidmandude, vbrans and LordByron like this.