The Source Audio Ventris Reverb: it's in the wild... and it's AWESOME!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LordByron, Oct 20, 2016.

1. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

:eek:

2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

My nemesis trails when bypassed via midi just fine :dunno

3. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

Really? That's sad. The Reflex is the best expression pedal on the market. I might buy a second just to have a back up.

4. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Makes me sad too, really hoped for an editor to improve a few things. Guess I’m doing like @4b454e and doing some diy to make the footswitch into a midi footswitch for wah like control.

diego.fresh likes this.
  5. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

I need to know more about this

diego.fresh likes this.
  6. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

I’ll recap it next year ;)

diego.fresh and MartyReasoner like this.
  7. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Trying to get Ventris working with an expression pedal a couple different ways.

1) I have a Moog expression pedal. My test case is controlling the trem speed in mod verb. After I calibrate and set the speed knob to min and max, I successfully sweep the rate. Only problem is that it ends up not going the full range of the knob settings that I set.

2) My preferred method would be using the expression pedal plugged into a boss es-8 and then use midi to tweak the parameter. In my case I have the modverb on the B side by itself and I’m using CC 43 to tweak the rate. Something changes (stereo spread maybe?), but not the trem rate.

Anyone worked this out? Do I need a different expression pedal to get full range?

EDIT: Figured it out. One device is zero based and one is one based for midi CCs. Sending CC 101 for instance to the echo system from the es-8 results in receiving 102. Pretty sure it’s the same problem with the Ventris. I’ll try tomorrow.

Range is still limited. I should either try a boss expression pedalfor the es-8 or maybe the Dunlop X since those are reviewed highly.

EDIT 2: Would help if I cranked up the maximum value knob on the Moog expression pedal. :)

A lot of midi CC’s aren’t implemented on modverb it seems. Figured I’d give it a try anyway. The ones I tested seem to work in Spring at least.

Also, the off by one error above isn’t the case with ES-8 and Ventris. Is the case for Echosystem and ES-8.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  8. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Actually it was a pretty simple mod. I installed a 1/4” TS switching jack on the side of the Reflex, wired to the footswitch.
    The stock switch is a momentary normally-open SPST, perfect for my application :)
    I used a switching jack so that, when nothing is plugged in, the Reflex footswitch operates as normal. When plugged in, the switch acts as an external footswitch for my Morningstar MC-6, but could be used for any controller that uses this type of switch.
    I assign the footswitch to toggle a CC on my Source Audio Stingray, so the Reflex acts like a regular wah (the treadle controls the sweep and the switch toggles the effect on/off)

Guts shot

Video at:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...a-testing-review.1596098/page-8#post-23404791

jquanmusic likes this.
  9. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Supporting Member

10. m0b1liz3

m0b1liz3 Member

Hmm. 2018 has arrived and I still haven't received my Ventris that was pre-ordered from Prymaxe in October last year. Will likely order direct from SA in future after this experience.

11. zemurray

zemurray Supporting Member

Seriously? I just ordered one from them a couple weeks ago and they told me it would be about 3 weeks?

12. KaBudokan

KaBudokan Supporting Member

Get in touch with them. I've had my Ventris for a week+, and I ordered around Black Friday.

13. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

Got a chance to play this over the weekend. Im seriously impressed. There isn't a bad or wasted engine on this thing (except I hate shimmers. But that's on me.). Every engine sounds awesome. Even on neutral settings, everything just sounds good.

I had a nemesis and while it sounded good, the editor and phone connection really turned me off. There were several engines that just weren't for me and I felt like I always needed to tweak in the app. Took a flyer on this one despite that. So far, I haven't been disappointed.

The spring and echoverb in particular are doing me right. Looking forward to seeing the back engines even though I don't need them lol.

Great work SA. This thing just kicked a Flint off my board. I had a big sky and that didn't do it, so props.

14. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the nice post!
    We learned a lot from doing Nemesis that really helped us on Ventris.

GaryMcT likes this.
  15. diego.fresh

diego.fresh Supporting Member

I had similar experience. @Prymaxe Lauren got mine sorted.

Prymaxe and ChaseTMP like this.
  16. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

All I can say, is Ventris Shimmer + Pitchgrinder = Winning.

Here is some experimenting I did with the two pedals. Shimmer stuff starts about 3:47 in

This particular demo was done in Mono, would have been even more epic in stereo.

17. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

Finally got up to 1.11 and extended available presets to 8...but have already filled them up. :jo

diego.fresh likes this.
  18. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Holy hell does Ventris sound amazing! If it only had spring it would be worth it. Anxious for the surf fender tank sim to come out. Hope it sounds good in the loop even though that’s not where they are usually at. A good dwell range will hopefully make that work.

theluckyjackson and Auger64 like this.
  19. stagolee

stagolee Supporting Member

This really is a strong offering. As I filled up a dozen presets while tinkering with the engines (and combinations thereof) last night, I realized how much ground it is going to cover from vintage spring to ambient hollows to reverse oddness. I know I am late to the multi-effect party as I passed on all the big box attempts over the last few years for the same reason I passed on the earlier multi-effect units when I was just getting in to playing in the mid 90's - there always seemed to be some compromise in quantity over quality.

Glad I jumped in with the Ventris though. Such a nice balance of inspiring reverse and 'offspring' weirdness, room filling mod+delay+reverb options, and foundational plate and spring tones - super practical and yet accessibly avant garde. I now have to think about moving the neunaber somewhere upstream in the chain and give it a chance to keep a slot as a modulation option first and reverb second - doubt that will end well with an analog junkie like myself.

20. LionVerse

LionVerse Think before you speak. Read before you think. Silver Supporting Member

Happy New Year gang!!

It's really great to play through my board again after some traveling! It looks like I have quite a bit of catching up to do here, but more importantly an update to download.... :D